Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Microcosm

As another month draws to a close here at nuclearheadache, I figured that I'd leave you with a very old, half-baked idea of mine.  It's a little crazy, more than a little stupid.  I'd say that it would make you think, but seriously....Anyway:

Okay, so picture yourself in a smokey, dimly lit room.  You focus in and look closely at the smoke.  You see that it's denser in some areas than others, forming clusters and clouds here and there.  You zoom in closer until you see the atoms and molecules that the smoke is composed of.  The nuclei of these atoms are like bright little points of light, and the clouds are composed of billions and billions of them, clustered into different shapes, some round, some spiral swirled.  You focus in on a single atom that lies along the outskirts of one of the spiral clusters.  As you draw in, you can see the electrons orbiting around the brightly lit nucleus.  One of the electrons looks interesting.  You zoom in for an even closer look, and to your amazement you find that there is life on this electron.  It's absolutely teeming with life...intelligent life even.  They've established an entire civilization of this electron.  They have roads, and buildings, and technology.  The subatomic beings on this electron are full of questions.  They wonder how and why they've come to be.  They struggle and strain and make the most of their lives on this fragile little electron.  You zoom in closer to the towns and cities and neighborhoods.  You descend towards the roof of a familiar looking house.  You open the front door, go into the house and up the stairs.  You find a room with smoke coming from behind the door.  You go inside and find someone who looks exactly like you sitting in a chair by the lamp.  Your duplicate looks up, blinks and chokes for a moment and then tells you, "This is some good stuff."

See you next month.   

22 comments:

  1. ...or you might stumble upon a room where someone is huffing the fumes of their own shit out of a balloon. The point is: it's all open to interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would take time out of their busy day "as it draws to a closer" to huff their own turds anyway?

    A nice cliff-hanger. Are you leading into another posting for next month or did you just happen to catch a roaming thought (in the privacy of your own home, mind you)that you decided to share with us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose this is just a random, fleet-floating, non-sequitor.

    Now, you'll excuse me. I have my own typo to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so you know, I am not clicking on that link. Ever.

    As far as the main post...... Oh yeah, man. I been there. And seen it unfolding in a billion billion different directions until I hit the ground with a startled thump and completely surprised myself out of my buzz.

    But dude! What a ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome eyesight. Although I have to say that one Bryan M. White in existence is probably enough. I don't want to think that every molecule around us has a little Bryan in it, learning the secrets of the universe by smoking some really good shit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rev: Don't worry about the link. It's just some jackass in a yellow shirt.

    @Doug: Exactly. It goes the other way too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait a minute! I clicked that link and saw a jackass in a multi-colored shirt. It was all swirly and informative and circular in its all right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @George: Do-do-do-do do-do-do-do

    @Mouse: Yup

    @Scott: Get a haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone Light A Match JustSeptember 27, 2011 at 9:35 PM

    you're just jealous I have something to cut *if* I want too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote Scott shaves his head to be more Bryanesque. And sing "I am the very model of a modern major general." He can put the video on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm much more confused trying to follow these comments than following the swirliness of the worlds-within-worlds narrative.

    I've always been fascinated with this sort of world. But I like better to imagine the pull out to the greater universe where some Other is busy watching us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too, think Scott should be more like Bryan. But then I also think Bryan should be more like Doug and Doug should be more like Scott. Everybody rotate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will consider that. The follow up, I mean. I cannot shave what will likely leave me soon. Cherish those things you have now so you have lots of memories later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Brent: Well, as I told Doug, it goes both ways. Suppose you eat the mushroom, instead of drinking the potion. You grow bigger and bigger, until your house burst into a pile of sticks, until you're bigger than your town and then the planet and then even bigger than the galaxy. Then you see that the "stars" are really just atoms forming a cloud of smoke. At that point, you grow too heavy and you drop out of the air and land with a thud back in the same room where you started, just in time to stop yourself from eating more of the mushroom.

    @Rev: Speaking of which, that sounds like we're attending the Mad Hatter's tea party. Who's un-birthday is it?

    @Scott: What is your major malfunction Private Pile*?

    [*Note: "Pile" is intentionally substituted for "Pyle" to account for the fowl odor.]

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've no malfunction of major importance, sir. I call foul somewhere along the line and suggest a timeout.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We've turned into a microcosm of silliness. Must be degenerates because we have degenerated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. At the very least, I think we've really thrown Brent for a loop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously, man. Or am I just reading these things too late at night?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Naw, you're probably just missing crucial pieces to the puzzle, conversations carried over from other blogs. I can see how it would all be very confusing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...