Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sartre's Nothingness

"Nothingness can be nihilated only on the foundation of being; if nothingness can be given, it is neither before or after being, nor in a general way outside of being.  Nothingness lies coiled in the heart of being - like a worm."  Jean Paul Sartre

But what is nothingness?  It seems like a simple enough question to answer.  It is that which is not.  It is the absence of something...anything.  But what are we to make of Sartre's statement that "nothingness lies coiled in the heart of being"?  In a reality defined essentially by the fact that it exists, in a universe filled completely with Being, where does non-existence come in to play?  How can there be such a thing as nothing?  Being simply is what is.  Unto itself it suffers no lack or excess of anything.  It is the fullness of everything.  It is complete.  It is.  What possible commerce could it have with nothingness?

Yet, we're all quite familiar with the concept.  Let's say you're sitting around in your living room with a spouse or a friend, and at some point this person insists that they heard a knock at the door.  You get up to check, and then you come back and tell them, "there was nothing there" or maybe "there was no one there."  You had opened the door and found this absence of a person, this nothingness on your doorstep.  You shrug, and then go back to reading your book without giving it a second thought.  Well, it's precisely this sort of commonplace occurrence that Sartre asks us to stop and give some fresh consideration to.  

Now the first thing to notice here is that this nothingness doesn't make its appearance until you open the door.  Prior to that there is only being beyond the door...the porch, the steps, the front walk, the whole wide world out there.  It is only when you open the door expecting to find someone there, that you in fact find no one.  Those few cubic feet of space above your doorstep don't acquire meaning as an absence of a person until you open the door and give them that meaning.

Sartre illustrates this point time and again with the idea of a wallet.  Let's say my wallet is in my pocket right now and it has thirteen dollars in it.  The wallet, the money, it is what is.  The thirteen dollars is not too much or too little.  It simply exists.  But then I pull the wallet out, and I could have sworn I had fifteen dollars, or I had hoped to find fifteen dollars, or maybe I just needed fifteen dollars.  I have now discovered the absence of these two dollars.  Either from want or expectation, my wallet, which only a moment ago was absolutely complete in its being, is now short two dollars.

The conclusion is obvious.  It is through us, through our perceptions, that nothingness comes about.  It is because we were looking for someone beyond the door, that we found no one.  It is because I was looking for fifteen dollars in the wallet, that I found the actual amount come up short.  At this point, though, Sartre cautions us not to just dismiss nothingness as a quality of our judgement, a simple disparity between reality and our expectations of it.  He insists that this nothingness is a fact.  If we consider a few other scenarios concerning our door, perhaps we'll see what he means.

Let's say we answer the door, and we actually do find someone on the other side.  Our perception of the world beyond the door converges on this person.  They are the figure to which everything else becomes the ground.  They are the focal point of our attention.  This attention may drift in tangents, something they're carrying in their hand, their clothes, their car in the driveway, or any number of things depending on the person we find.  But these tangents connect and lead back to the person.  We perceive the world beyond the door as though it were arranged around this person.

Now, let's say we were to go to our front door now and just open it and look out.  We're not opening it to see if someone is there.  We're not expecting to find anyone.  We're just randomly looking out, and any number of things could grab our attention.  We could watch a bird settling on the telephone line with a slight flutter.  Or our attention could drift to the clouds or the traffic passing along the street in front of the house, even the refreshing breeze that sweeps in.  Our attention draws these things into focus for a moment, and then lets them go as it moves on.  We're just gazing serenely out the door, and no specific thing arrests our attention, demanding that our awareness of the world converges on that point.  

But when we return to our original scenario, where we opened the door and found no one, we find that something else happens.  We again find the same converging phenomenon at work that we found when we were greeted by a visitor, but we find now that our perception of the world has arranged itself around this void, this nothingness where we expected to find someone.  This non-existent shadow of a person is the figure to which everything else becomes the ground.  This nothingness pursues us wherever we look.  We think maybe someone is hiding in a bush, playing a prank.  We see nothing there.  The world converges around this empty space we discover behind the bush.  In short, we perceive this nothingness; we experience it.  If we were in a poetic mood we could return to the person in the living room and inform them, "I encountered nothingness on our doorstep.  I found nothingness haunting me wherever I looked in the world, and before this nothingness I saw the world itself fade away before my very eyes."

So we see that while nothingness originates with us, and is sustained by our perception, it is still a very real experience.  When you say, "There was no one there", you are speaking a clear and undeniable fact.  There really was no one on your doorstep.  And yet, there is still the temptation to dismiss this as simply failed expectations.  The void was only on your doorstep because you posed the possibility that you might find someone when you opened the door.  Well, this is precisely where Sartre's analysis of consciousness comes into play.

You'll recall that we established that consciousness was always removed from the focus of its awareness, as a subject to an object.  This perpetual withdraw from being creates a certain ...decompression of being, which allows us to slip this nothingness between us and being.  In the next post on this matter, we'll explore this further, and see how this ability of the mind to deviate from Being is a crucial part of the nature and function of consciousness, as well as a crucial part of our free will.                   

28 comments:

  1. Whilst you were answering the doorbell and finding nothing there, I nipped in through the window and took two dollars from your wallet, in payment for my collaboration with your subconscious behind your back.

    Please accept this as an out of court settlement.

    In other words, you now owe me Nothing. And I won't mention that ugly word p******ism again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have written a very fine analysis on the Sartrean theme of being and nothing. Thank you.

    Please ignore that last intervention. It was my subconscious impersonating me behind my back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now that we've got that cleared up.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this. It made my brain itchy.

    But, seriously, a very interesting view on reality and perception. We live in a world of opposites that define one another through contrast. I am not surprised that nothingness lies at the heart of understanding being.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soak your brain in calamine lotion for a few hours. That should help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very "brainy" way of explaining perhaps the "Death Knock" of Catholic Faith. It might also be part of other religions, but, for now, lets centralize it to just my own. In case none of you are familiar with this, some believe that when our loved ones die, they come back in the form of a knocking (generally on a door or some other type of paddy-whack) at the door, sort of like a Raven without quoth NEVERMORE! I think there is some story of Jesus knocking as well, which is equally distracting. Who wants to get up at four in the morning to answer the door for your ghostly grandma, who could have just floated through the damn thing in the first place. Hmm...maybe this knocking is when the Ghost forgets how to pass through objects, giving up on the whole exorcise before you get to the door? I had a point...oh, maybe Sartre was haunted by some past love who kept him up late at night, sparking this whole philosophical chalkboard of enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, the door example is mine, actually. Sartre used the idea of looking for his friend Pierre in a crowded cafe. He finds this nothingness, this absence of his friend, everywhere he looks in the cafe. He goes on the elaborate on the idea in the much the same way I did above.

    So maybe I'm the one who's haunted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I think we should do something about this nothing business. It's bugging the hell out of my wife. Every time I ask her what is bothering her she says "Nothing!"

    It's time to put Nothing on the Watch List.
    We should throw Nothing to the wolves.
    Every red blooded American should be up in arms about Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish nothing bothered me, but something keeps coming along and messing that up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'd think she would be the most serene person in the world considering nothing bothers her all of the time. But apparently that's a bit upsetting.

    And we step upon the steep descent from nihilism to sillyism.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *sigh* Some people just don't know how well they have it. Nothing satisfies them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess I better get up off my butt and get busy. I have nothing to do. And tons of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, but I bet there's nothing stopping you from getting it done. They get you coming and going.

    ReplyDelete
  14. who is the witness of this nothingness...that is the real discovery..there is the one that see's and even than there is a source witnessing the seeing...investigate that..I have a great link series I will send you that I love. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And the whole time thinking about Sartre sitting there in the cafe I keep envisioning John Banner sitting behind him muttering "I see nothing! N-n-n-nothing!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who would have thought Schultz was an existentialist?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This has been one of those posts that I thought would leave me with another one of those nuclear headaches. Instead I have been giggling for five days. And I got to use the line. The wife asked "What are you laughing at?"

    "Oh.... nothing."

    veri word- "biance" Word for whatever level of bisexuality you might have

    ReplyDelete
  18. You sure it isn't a bi-sexual fiance'?

    ReplyDelete
  19. You only have 13 bucks in your wallet? Bryan, if you are hurting that badly I'll float you a loan. And don't worry about the interest rate. Let's get you set up first, and we'll talk about the details later.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know what funny? I literally do only have 13 bucks in my wallet right now. But that's okay. I get paid tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooo.... yeah. But would Sartre approve?




    New veri word "hionspec" When drug dealers hand out free samples.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have not finished the article yet, but you reminded me of a poem I read in my youth, one that described what follows the end of the world:

    THE END OF THE WORLD

    Quite unexpectedly, as Vasserot
    The armless ambidextrian was lighting
    A match between his great and second toe,
    And Ralph the lion was engaged in biting
    The neck of Madame Sossman while the drum
    Pointed, and Teeny was about to cough
    In waltz-time swinging Jocko by the thumb---
    Quite unexpectedly the top blew off:

    And there, there overhead, there, there hung over
    Those thousands of white faces, those dazed eyes,
    There in the starless dark the poise, the hover,
    There with vast wings across the cancelled skies,
    There in the sudden blackness the black pall
    Of nothing, nothing, nothing --- nothing at all.

    Archibald MacLeish

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. That's a weird poem. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How can there be such a thing as nothing?

    There cannot. There is such a no thing as nothing, though.

    Now the first thing to notice here is that this nothingness doesn't make its appearance until you open the door.

    Ahahahah. Nothing appeared.

    I have now discovered the absence of these two dollars.

    This is very profound. The absence of water melon was also there. And though a water melon is really large, you did not even know it was missing. Nothing is all over the place, and yet we don’t notice, because we are not looking for it. In this case, the tree in the unpeopled forest truly made no sound, because the tree was created by our expectations, and is made of nothing else.

    I found nothingness haunting me wherever I looked in the world, and before this nothingness I saw the world itself fade away before my very eyes. Poof. I just repeated that statement because it because it is so profound. Is that an exact Satre quote, unadjusted?

    ReplyDelete
  25. The semantics involved in writing this were...difficult, so I beg for a little merciful leeway.

    We could also say that the Statue of Liberty isn't in my wallet either. Sartre actually makes an aside about this in his example of looking for his friend Pierre in the cafe'. One could say that George Washington or Socrates are not in the cafe', but Sartre doesn't experience their absence as he does Pierre's, because he's actually, seriously, looking for Pierre'. Likewise, I experience the two dollars missing from my wallet in a way that I don't experience the watermelon missing from it.

    As for the "tree"...hmmm, I don't think so, unless I misunderstand your meaning.

    The passage you're referring to isn't a Sartre quote, exact or otherwise, although it obviously draws from Sartre's ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This article is a like an episode of Seinfeld. Though interesting, you think you finished reading it and you move on. Then over and over, things from it resonate is other contexts.

    My wife and I got into a little tiff last night. She said: "Please don't speak to me for the rest of the night." I realized that I never felt loneliness until I was married, which is something. In the absence of anything, when I had nothing, I did not miss the absent thing one iota.

    I would have explained this to her, but she would have accused me of violating the gag order. We can't violate her royal request, now can we?

    ReplyDelete
  27. As the song says, "You don't know what you got till it's gone."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...