Friday, September 2, 2011

The Liberal Conceit

First of all, if it seems like I'm picking exclusively on liberals in this post, rest assured that conservatives will get their day in my nuclear court sooner or later.  I don't consider myself to be clearly one or the other.  I'm just a guy, looking for the truth, and I don't believe that the truth can be neatly packaged within any particular ideology.  But if I had to say which way I leaned, it would definitely be towards the liberal side.  I tend to think that their positions are more thought out, more sensitive to the issues involved, more sympathetic and open minded, and they don't tend to use religion as the final word in every argument like their own literal Deus Ex Machina.  However, there is a point where liberals and I definitely part ways.  I call this point "the liberal conceit."

If I had to sum up the liberal conceit in one sentence, it would be, "If you come off as an asshole saying it, it can't be the truth."  You see, the liberals have taken a diverse number of disenfranchised groups, causes, ailments, oddities, underdogs, classes, and special cases under their wing.  They're very protective of these things and these people.  They're very touchy and quick to go on the defensive where they are concerned.  So if you have anything to say about them which isn't 100% glowing positivity, full of smiley face suns and singing marshmallows, then you'll quickly find the liberals shaking an accusing finger in your direction like you're the next Adolf Hitler.

What!?  You deny that there was a gender bias in those test scores??  How dare you!
You know you've reached the liberal conceit in a conversation when you start hearing phrases like, "How would you like it if someone said..." or "How would you feel if someone..."  or "Well, I happen to know a...."  The debate shifts from facts and arguments, and boils down instead to a discussion of hurt feelings and offended sensibilities.  You find yourself facing a wall where scientific study and evidence mean nothing to the person you're talking to if what you're saying isn't "nice."

Now, I had to proceed cautiously when trying to come up with an example to use here.  We're talking about a veritable mine-field of liberal outrage.  So I had to tread carefully.  I'm not looking to pick any fights that will obscure the point I'm trying to make.  I've been down that road before and it's not fun.  However, I think I've found a fairly innocuous example, and it just so happens that it has the added benefit that I am a member of the group under consideration.  That should at least buy me a little leeway as far as the "asshole" factor is concerned, since I'll be talking about myself as well.  The group in question is left-handed people.

I won a contest with this!
Many years ago I read a book called The Left-Hander Syndrome.  The book took a more sober and scientific approach to the subject than most I've read, almost to the point of dryness.  They got into a statistical analysis of left-handedness, the fact that left-handed people tend to die younger, go insane more easily, more geniuses and more mentally handicapped as well, ect.  They showed how left-handedness was connected to other rare traits.  They dispelled several popular myths about left-handedness.  All fairly interesting stuff.  

But then they got into the fact that left- handedness is a result of brain damage or at least brain trauma usually experienced in the womb.  They stated that right-handedness is actually the default option for all human beings, and that left-handedness only occurs because of a trauma to the left hemisphere of the brain (which controls the right side of the body.)  All cases of left-handedness, they claimed, were a result of the right hemisphere of the brain and the left side of the body compensating for this damage.  Well, this was a bit of a blow to me.  I had been told all my life that left-handed people were "unique" and "holistic" and "creative."  While all of that could arguably still be true, this book was telling me that left-handed people weren't a special minority of different people who just used our other hand.  The book was telling me that we were actually damaged right-handers, implying in a sense that we were actually inferior to normal right-handers, merely compensating for this infirmity by favoring a hand nature had never intended.

Now this is the point where the liberal conceit would be going off like an air raid siren.  The whole thing sounds like something dreamed up by Nazi intellectuals, and it smacks of old tales of the one room school houses where they used to smack kids hands with a ruler if they used the "wrong" one.  I can almost hear the itchy fingers of someone waiting to leave a scathing comment.  Only the latitude I've bought by throwing myself into the mix is keeping them at bay, but even that latitude is limited.  It's almost inevitable that someone below will say something like, "Well, my daughter is left-handed and I'm incredibly offended by what you said."  To that hypothetical comment I can only reply, "Frankly my dear, the truth doesn't give a damn."

But that's far-fetched, right?  No one would leave a comment like that, right?  No one gets that worked up over handedness, right?  Well, consider this screen cap of a review for the book off of Amazon:

Click to Enlarge

Now, I don't know how valid the conclusions in that book are.  That's not my point here.  If someone wants to pick apart the author's scientific findings, that's one thing, but people take this immense umbrage to things like this simply because they don't like what they are hearing.  They find it "offensive."  We live in this cushy culture of entitlement where people think that being "offended" is like some kind of trump card that supersedes facts and reality.  This is a precedent set by the liberal conceit.  Well folks, the fact of the matter is that the truth isn't always the nice cuddly fairy-tale that the liberals want it to be, where everyone gets a trophy just for participating in the human race.  Sometimes the truth is downright ugly and unpleasant.

Sometimes liberals try to sidestep this unpleasantness by trying to bend reality to this warm little fantasy of theirs.  There used to be a few liberal ideas floating around out there that nearly stated this in explicit, philosophical terms.  You don't hear as much about them nowadays, but I'm sure they're out there: multiculturalism and moral relativism.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm all for embracing other cultures and keeping an open mind, but these ideas went far beyond that.  Their explicit positions were 1.) that all moralities were a group phenomenon and equally valid; what was wrong in one society, was right in another, and it was all just a matter of perspective and opinion 2.) that all cultures were of equal value, and no one could claim that any society was in any way better than another.  The purpose of both these ideas was to sterilize any objective standard of judgement.  It was the liberal conceit incarnate.  It was deliberately calculated to disarm any ideas which might seem negative, and instead promote an image of the world where everyone is wonderful, everyone wins, and everything is a huge love fest from sea to shining sea.

Well, I'm not buying it.  It's a nice idea, but it's not the truth.  Right is right, wrong is wrong, and it doesn't come down to a matter of geography.  Human sacrifices aren't suddenly acceptable because we happened to be hanging with such and such a tribe and we happen to be at certain degrees latitude and longitude.  As far as better or worse, I admit these are vague terms, and yes, all cultures have a mixture of good points and bad, but on a case by case basis considering different aspects, you can't deny objective standards.  You can't deny that the life expectancy might be higher here, the crime rate lower there, and so on.  No, none of this will do.  The truth exists beyond us, and beyond what we would like it to be, beyond what offends our sensibilities.  We need to face it with open eyes if we're going to get anywhere as a species.                  

14 comments:

  1. I suspect that society as a whole started a bad downhill spiral when it became legal and acceptable to sue somebody because they offended you. I'm sorry, but having thin skin and wearing your feelings on your sleeve is not a valid political agenda. If somebody hurts your feelings, either kick his as* if you can or suck it up and move on and quit being such a crybaby. Even better. If it offends you, don't look. Hmmm... Liberals and their pantywaistedness offend me. Should I sue?

    Veri word- "flatme" A new kink where weirdos get off by being rubbed all over by a large cool iron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we agree there, Reverend. It's good to start these comments off on a positive note before they start their own downward spiral. Some people are so touchy about these things, that I suspect that the touchiness itself will be a touchy subject. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, for one, actually think there might be something to this whole "handy" conversation. I have tried to do something with my left hand (for I am right-handed) and it is not the easiest thing to do. I guess you could train yourself to be this way, but there must be something, hidden deep inside the DNA of left-handed people. It's kind of like being flat-footed (which I am and my daughter too) versus being arched. My wife tells me that flat-footed people could never be as good an athlete as arched foes, and maybe this is true, but I tend to think talent comes without extremities with benefits.

    I wonder if one "oddity" cancels out the other. For example, is there a study about red-headed, left-handed, club-footed, green eyed Asians?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use my right hand, now and then, for some things, but I definitely favor my left, especially with handwriting and whatnot. I never got the sense that my right was weaker, or damaged, or not up to the task, but then how would I know, right? It's not like the book said left-handed people were crippled on the right, rather something more subtle that would drive the left to compensate.

    As for oddities, I remember that same book saying that somehow statistically once you opened the door on one rare-trait, it served as a marker for other rare traits. I didn't quite understand that part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a left-hander myself I thought it possible, and not offensive, that I am a mentally retarded genius with some weird form of brain damage. I've suspected something like this at times. But I really don't believe I am going to die young. In fact I have not died young, being well past retirement age, despite childish behaviour at times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I suppose you're in the clear on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You bleeding hearts make me sick. God and Business, all the way! Global Warming is Fake! I heard liberal women are slutty, though, so that is okay.

    Seriously, though, I equate this liberal tendancy with the conservative method of thumping bibles. Both tend to shift the discussion away from the actual issues and getting stuff done and towards the counterproductive ground of nonissues and not getting stuff done. More facts, please, and less emotion and spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, conservatives definitely have their own ways of sticking their heads in the sand too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Doug is on to something there. It seems to me that having a political identity is just an excuse to wave your pencil around and compare sizes rather than actually trying to accomplish anything. I equate it to people who are loud about their religious affiliations. They are all about "My Gawd is bigger than your Gawd" but when it comes down to actually accomplishing something tangible those people are notably absent. The ones who get things done tend to work quietly in the background and if you find one and ask him about his affiliations, he'll just shrug and say "I'm whatever."

    My veri word- "forshra" That little bit of skin on your shra that is usually removed when you just an infant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I think anyone with any sense would be a "whatever." Anyone who accepts a complete, prepackaged, set of opinions in order to align themselves with this group or that, clearly isn't thinking for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm reminded of the old Vonnegut story "Harrison Bergeron" where "equality" has run amuck and talented people are forced to wear weights and uglify themselves, while smart people are forced to wear headphones that produce loud noises every few seconds to prevent them from thinking. This way everyone is equal, even the dummies and uggos. Give it a read if you haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, the "handicapper general", I've read it. Such an odd little story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great title to this post. I guess that I more closely fit the conservative side, but find that I disagree with a lot of things labeled conservative. It drives me crazy that we bow to every person who is "offended" by something. It seems that people sometimes twist things just to be offended.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, it only seems to be in recent years that we've weaponized offense, so to speak. People have been getting offended by things as long as there have been things to be offended by and people to be offended by them, of course, but it only seems to be in the last 15-20 years or so that people have taken offense as some kind of mandate, as though the world had to stop over it. And if they take offense on account of their kids...*woof* forget about it.

    You see this now on both ends of the political spectrum, but it seems to be that the precedent for it was set by the liberals in the mid-90s.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...