Saturday, September 17, 2011

Myth of the Albatross

Prior to taking Rachel Hoyt up on yet another one of her Smiley Sociology Studies, I knew almost nothing about the albatross, although the bird has long held a prominent place in my imagination.  I wasn't even sure if it was an actual, real bird or just a mythical creature.  Certainly the bird that I had cultivated in my mind's eye was the stuff of legends.  I imagined a huge, dark bird with a vast wingspan, an extremely solitary bird that flew alone over vast miles of ocean.  There was something haunting and melancholy about this bird, and yet something enchanted, as though it were a piece of medieval lore.  I had the impression that the bird's habitat was far, far south, traveling over the oceans surrounding Antarctica, far from any civilization.  Ships straying into those distant waters might spy the bird through the fog and the mist, and the sailors would be shaken to the core by the dark apparition, crossing themselves superstitiously to ward off the bad omen.

This impression of mine was generated mostly by references to the bird in popular speech.  In doing what, for me, passes for research, I learned that a Coleridge poem called The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is responsible for the metaphorical and symbolical attachments that the bird has acquired.  In the poem the mariner of the title shoots the bird for some reason, and the crew of the ship forces the mariner to wear the bird around his neck, because they feel that he has cursed the crew by killing the bird.  Turns out that the bird is actually considered good luck.  It was killing the bird that turned the good omen bad.  I got the Antarctica part right, though...sort of.  In the poem the crew is lost near Antarctica and the bird arrives to lead them back on course...well, until the mariner decides to use it for target practice.

Oddly enough, I'd never heard this poem before.  The references to it had worked their way down to me fourth or fifth hand.  From the poem, the idiom of having "an albatross around you neck" came to mean having some kind of burden or curse, but by the time it got to me, people weren't even wearing the bird as a necklace anymore.  They were just talking about this heavy, burdensome bird that caused everyone sorrow.  I think this is how the bird came to loom so big in my mind.  A heavy bird that dragged you down seemed to be a bit of a paradox to me.  It grew and grew in my mind as a perpetual struggle against its own gravity, like a natural, avian version of the Spruce Goose.

The albatross actually is a large bird, and they actually do have the largest wingspan of any living bird.  They are not however, the dark, mournful creatures that I had imagined.  They look like the picture above.  They look a bit like an exotic duck.  They're kind of cute with pretty colors.  I don't know if I'd want to wear a dead one around my neck, but I'd consider keeping a live one as a pet.

This dreadful bird of my fantasy was one of the last enduring myths in my mind, destined to go the way of Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.  It was cobbled together out of hearsay and snatches of fact, and stitched together with poetic conjecture.  It's funny how close I came to accuracy, only to end up missing it by miles.  I'm glad that I've now learned something about the substance of its overbearing gravity, but I'll miss that majestically ugly bird soaring over the lonely miles of open sea.  I've returned the name "albatross" to its rightful owner, and that ugly bird flies off nameless into the dim green mist.            

23 comments:

  1. I read Coleridge years ago and thought "That man must have been doing some serious drugs." I never imagined the bird itself as hideous in looks but horrible as in onerous or depicting bad luck. I associated the albatross with Lovecraftian type horror and despair and guilt and shame. Kind of like the scarlet letter but with deeper and more deadly meaning.

    Then on the other hand, I also think about John Cleese wearing a dress with a stuffed bird in a box hanging around his neck walking around shouting "Albatross!" trying to hawk it to the audience.

    "What flavor is it?"

    "It's bleeding seabird flavor you get! Albatross!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bit like the Scarlet Letter. I can see that.

    The ugly bird was mostly a product of my ignorance. I couldn't wrap my mind around this awful bird weighing people down. Now, I see that it was having the bird there as a reminder of his guilt and regret that weighed on the mariner. Now it all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! I knew it was a real bird but that was about it. Never knew how the saying originated. LOVE the Monty Python skit, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm going to have to look that up on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best one is from "Live at the Hollywood Bowl"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrqW_BZu5Xk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's cute! I've heard of them, but I never thought they were imaginary or legendary. I always assumed they were real. I feel like I've missed out on something here. I never had the opportunity to imagine a bird of epic proportions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I think everybody's heard about the bird. "Epic" would be a good word for the bird, if there was a word for the bird, or...you know, if the bird was the word.

    (Whoops. I was supposed to be sitting quietly.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You there! Stop that! It's too silly!

    Right! Off you go! And you! We need you up here for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason I always thought an albatross was a fish of some sort. Because who wants to wear a smelly dead fish around his neck?

    Sometimes I am not just wrong, I am ridiculously wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, you were wayyyy off with that one. I don't feel so bad now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's okay, Doug. I had Sammy Davis Jr. and Frank Sinatra confused with each other for twenty one years...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Chanel: One of them has a glass eye....or had. I'm pretty sure they're both dead.

    @Rev: Yep. That's probably what he was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nah, I didn't think it was a tuna. That would just be silly.

    On another note, I just googled "somnus Diem," and you are beating me. My attempt to thwart your search success is failing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chanel: I get Frankie Boy and Dean Martin jumbled up. But at least they sort of look alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I have the top result, but then you have the next four results after that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's the top result that matters. Olympians strive for the Gold. Who cares who wins Silver, Bronze and Quartz?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Four=quad=quartz. Kind of a stretch, I admit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well then, I don't know what you have planned for sixth place, but you're not getting it from me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yack! Hee hee hee.... Completely blew my response out of my head.....

    Torpedoed again...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...