Thursday, September 15, 2011

How Do I Carry All My Wayward Guns?

Having played a number of first person shooters, as well as a variety of top down, side scroll, bottoms up, and inside out and ass backwards, shooters, I've noticed a certain pattern emerging with the weaponry provided by the games.  I'm sure I'm certainly not the first to give an insightful little tour of said weapons, but it's a slow news day, it's raining, and I actually had a dream last night that I was trapped in a first person shooter in some sort of horrible, bloodbath, suicide mode.  So without further ado:

     The Peashooter
This is usually the gun you start the game with, although if you're dealing with particularly sadistic game designers, they might drop you in with nothing but your bare fists and your bloody knuckles.  In such an event, though, you'll usually find the Peashooter at some point during your first five minutes of game play.  It'll be right out in the open, and you'll be all like, "Yes!  Finally, a gun!"  Yeah, don't get too excited there, chief.  The Peashooter is just a single shot weapon, and the bullets are about as effective as a lead spitball.  It makes an ineffectual little *pap* *pap* sound when you fire it, which I think might actually attract your enemies.  Like sharks catching the scent of blood in the water, your enemy's ears perk up when they hear the sound of your lame gun.  Seriously, little kids playing cops & robbers make more menacing sounds when they use their fingers for guns.  Everything about the Peashooter screams for an upgrade, and once you do find a better gun, you're not liable to return to the Peashooter unless the ammo has been depleted in every other weapon you have.

      The Blaster
Ah, and here's that upgrade.  The Blaster is usually a shotgun or rifle of some sort, or else it's some sort of space age equivalent.  It may be masquerading as an "Ionic Pulse Accelerator", but we all know it's a shotgun.  The Blaster's ammunition is far more effective than the Peashooter's.  In fact, the shells or "ionic pulses" are among the most damaging projectiles in the game.  The Blaster has, however, an inevitable downside.  The reload time for the weapon is always ridiculously slow.  First, you have to send away for the shells.  They arrive in the mail in 8 to 10 weeks.  Then you have to run that rod down your barrel, like they did with the old muskets.  At that point, you'll need some time to prepare your own gun powder....Okay, maybe it's not quite that bad, but when you've got a pile of enemies baring down on you, the times between reloads can seem downright geological.  Still, it's a very effective weapon, and the slow reload actually keeps you from expending too much ammunition.  It may not be very useful in group therapy, but you'll find that this is most often your default weapon, your trusted companion as you stalk through the maze-like corridors of the game.

       The Mower
Now we're talking guns.  The mower is usually a machine gun, gattling gun, chain gun, or made-up equivalent thereof.  It puts out serious firepower...and fast.  Per capita, on a bullet by bullet basis, the Mower comes out at a slight disadvantage to the Blaster.  You'll need a couple more shots to take down the enemy.  But the Mower more than makes up for this with its impressive speed.  Reload is not an issue here.  You accidentally brush against the trigger and the gun has rattled off 50 rounds before your brain even has time to relay the message back to your finger to let go.  And this leads to the downside of the Mower.  You'll go through ammunition like water on a hot day.  You stock up, 400 - 500 rounds, however much the game lets you carry, and within 30 seconds of mowing into a pack of enemies, you'll find yourself clicking at nothing but air.  Of course, you'll also be surrounded by fallen bodies, so it's not a complete loss.  Yes, you'll definitely be saving this weapon for crowd control, for those tight spots where you just need to go absolutely psychotic and worry about your ammo supply later.
      

        The Long Ranger
There's one of these in every game.  This is the gun that your mother warned you about.  It's usually some kind of grenade launcher, rocket launcher, or surface to air missile.  It's a powerful weapon, although you could usually reach your distant target faster by Fed Ex, but that isn't the real downside of it.  The Long Ranger is strictly a long range weapon, hence the name I've given it.  If you hit a target within a certain distance of yourself, you'll find that the weapon hurts you as well.  And we're not talking a little hurt here.  Pop one of these things open in your face and you're liable to find yourself three breaths away from an autopsy table.  The can be especially irritating when you accidentally fire into the wall you're standing right in front of, or have an enemy charge you just as you're getting your shot off.  One minute he's across the room, and the next minute he's rushing over to ask you to dance, and you suddenly find that you're going suicide bomber on the both of you.

      The Slugger
This usually comes along at a point in the game when it's almost too late to be effective, but yet when ammo supplies are low enough to make it necessary.  It can be a sword, a chain saw, or a baseball bat with nails sticking out of it.  If you get close enough to an enemy with it, you can seriously ruin their day.  The beauty of it is that you don't need any ammo for it.  The downside is that while the enemy is across the field making new holes in you, you either have to call him over to see the naked pictures of his sister that you've got, or you have to throw caution to the wind, rush headlong into him with your eyes wide, screaming your battle cry at the top of your lungs.  Not something I would suggest doing repeatedly.  Plus, as a bonus, the Slugger is usually right next to the Long Ranger in your inventory, so it's easy to get the two mixed up.  Yeah, good luck with that!

       The Dud
I don't know what this gun's problem is.  Maybe it's related to someone in upper management at the software company.  Maybe it's the brainchild of some idiot savant that sleeps under his desk and spent six months programming the pixel shading on a wall.  The Dud is a weird, useless weapon that arrives at some point late in the game.  It creates sonic bubbles that hurt the enemy's feelings, or it's a leaf blower that sprays a cloud of pizza coupons that eventually make your enemies fat and slow.  It's that one weapon that you usually skip, especially if there's a limit on the amount of guns that you can carry.  You definitely don't want to drop your Mower for a crossbow that shoots arrows tipped with stale marshmallows.  Sometimes, on very rare occasions, you find that you were using the Dud the wrong way, and it's actually a kick ass weapon.  I wouldn't count on it though.
  
       The Phaser
This one more than makes up for the Dud.  It's usually some kind of laser or rail gun, or plasma disruptor.  Whatever they call it, it's some serious high tech stuff.  In games with a more conventional arsenal, the Phaser is the standout.  While the other weapons are based on designs of actual guns and limited by those designs, the Phaser's capabilities are limited by only by the programmers' imaginations.  It usually uses some kind of power cells or energy units, rather than normal ammunition, but the result is basically the same.  It is the one weapon that usually ends up replacing the Blaster as your trusty, default companion.  It sends a real message to your enemies.  "I'm from the future, and I'm here to kill you."

       The Armageddon Gun
This is the last gun you get, and it's the last gun you'll ever need.  It's a real problem-solver.  If this gun took a course in advance calculus, it would get an A by blowing up the classroom and incinerating the teacher.  It is powerful to the point of absurdity, just shy of rendering the game completely pointless from there on out.  It also has extremely limited ammunition, and it doesn't arrive until nearly the last section of the last level of the game.  It would ruin the game if they gave it to you any earlier.  You procure it just in time to have a little fun with it, turn the tables on your unsuspecting enemies, and then you're off to fight the hydra-headed final boss with it.  And as that gargantuan creature tears forth out of a pool of molten lava or a vast ocean of panda bear blood, you look down at your Armageddon Gun, and all that cockiness quickly fades away *gulp*....*pap* *pap*

22 comments:

  1. "You procure it just in time to have a little fun with it" and "I don't what this gun's problem is. " You stayed up late playing Gears of War 3, didn't you. Is that even out yet? In any case, I had to jab you back for point out the grammar, so there. :)

    I remember getting a rocket launcher at the very end of Resident Evil, which made nasty work of the monster. I still think the most ridiculous weapon of all time is a camera, which was the weapon in some ghostly game I once played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad thing is I DO proofread my posts, and I still end up missing a ton of stuff.

    I fixed the 2nd one, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the first one.

    ...and yeah, a camera is about as lame as a weapon gets. I guess you could either blind your enemies with the flash or sell the photos to the tabloids to ruin their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Haven't played any FPS games in awhile. Now I want to find me another good one and start playing again. I remember when "Wolfenstein" came out. That was so cool I thought I might lose my mind. That first peashooter? "Oh yeah! I gots me a gun now, boy!" *paf* *paf* "What the snap?"

    Hee hee hee! That takes me back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it was like a cap gun that shot mosquito bites.

    And I used to love the old Doom games. They have an appealing simplicity to them. Find the keys. Find the doors. Kill everything that gets in your way. Plus, there was something about the look and the concept of the game that was impressively terrifying considering the limitations of the graphics at the time.

    I've played some of the newer ones here and there. I'm not huge on video games, but from time to time... Seems like all the games are shooters nowadays. Gets a little monotonous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I play racing games from time to time too. Need for Speed, stuff like that. They have their own equivalent of the Peashooter: the hatchback, 4 cylinder, Honda Civic with one door falling off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much on current shooters, but I'm with you guys on the Wolfenstein and Doom games. Those were fun. And your list of guns is exactly what I remember from them. In fact, didn't you start Wolfenstein with nothing more than a knife? And when you finally got to the plasma gun on Doom you were ready to kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My memories of Wolfenstein are a little hazy, but I do remember that little blade sticking up from the bottom of the screen. Wasn't there a robot Hitler or something, too?

    ...and yes, the plasma gun was awesome. At least as powerful as the shotgun, but faster and held more ammo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never got to Hitler, robot or otherwise. The mazes pissed me off. I got stuck at some point and gave it up. In my defense, I think I was 12 at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure you've matured many times over since then :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only FPS game I have really played was Black Ops and this post made me giggle. (Sorry you got a chick on here I will use the word giggle)My favorite is the Dud. I remember this happening and going "why would I choose this over one from the past I have unlocked" beats me...never looked at it again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is spot on. The only thing I think you missed is the Dud looks like a great choice at first glance. It usually seems to be an amalgamation of the best weapons. Who wouldn't want a semi-automatic crossbow that shoots exploding glass shards or a bazooka that sprays man-eating nano bees? It's only after you pick it up and die seven times in three seconds that you realize your mistake. The cool gun requires you to only hit big toes for a killshot, the zombie aliens start pointing and laughing at you, and you can'y seem to find anything but the Dud and the Peashooter for miles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Motherhood Truth: I giggle sometimes myself. Sometimes I guffaw, and sometimes I even go "Hee hee."

    @Charlie: Yes! Sometimes the Dud does deceive you. In some games, some strange variation on the flame-thrower is the Dud. I mean, who doesn't want a flame-thrower, right? Then you get it and find that you have to bake an enemy in a concentrated flame bath for like two minutes to kill them, using 3/4 of the fuel. You'd have better luck trying to drown them with a garden hose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Padawan would definitely appreciate this. He's currently rediscovering his obsession with Red Dead Redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From my own perspective...

    Ever since I read the title of this blog I have had that stupid song, "Carry On My Wayward Sons," stuck in my head. It is on repeat in my brain. And I blame YOU, Bryan.

    I think you chose the title you did for this very reason. To inflict this insanity on your readers!

    You should be ashamed of yourself.

    How do you plead?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha! Yes, guilty on all counts. You're the first one to mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh great. Now I got that freaking song stuck in my head. Even worse than last night. Sgt Uncle T mentioned hearing the Stones song "Beast of Burden" on the radio and his wife sang "I'll never leave your pizza burnin'.." Gave me a serious case of the giggles, that did. And now it's "Carry on my wayward pizza" which is even worse!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carry out my favorite pizza.
    There's extra cheese for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL. It has been quite a while since I played any shoot 'em up video games, but these descriptions are intriguing. I kind of want to play now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me too. I have a couple here that I haven't played in quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well there's really no way to sentence you for this...so...you know. Sit by yourself for a few minutes and think about what you've done, young man!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Why did I ever miss this? You have encapsulated the whole thing ... (struggling for words in this unfamiliar territory) ... the ethos, or ambience ... perhaps the inner rationale - of video-game playing. I wish I could find the words, but most of all the time, to write something in the same vein about the subtleties of the English cryptic crossword (quite unmatched in America, i think), which for K & me is the essential accompaniment to the early cup of tea in bed (another fine English accomplishment, made famous perhaps through the stories of Jeeves and Wooster. After a night of confused dreams, it tunes you for the day, tightens the intellectual muscles.

    What's behind this comment, you ask? I think it's being unqualified to comment on your Twin Peaks piece.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...