Monday, February 14, 2011

Possible Methods

You'll remember that at the beginning of the month I posted all the titles for all the posts I would be writing this month.  You may be wondering how this was possible.  Well, there's a funny and completely fabricated story behind that.  What I'm about to tell you may be a little shocking.  You see, I've invented a machine that allows me to have very brief glimpses of the future.  I made it out of a wooden board and some parts from an old lamp that I found in the spare room.  It works like this: the wires are mounted on the wooden board, stripped at the ends, and placed about a foot and a half apart.  Then the cord is plugged into the wall socket.  Normally, the wires would be too far apart for the electrical charge to cover the distance between the wires.  That's where the magnet comes in.  It's mounted to the board between the wires.  It spins at a variable speed, creating a magnetic field that allows that electrical circuit to be completed.  The speed that the magnet spins is controlled by a dial on the control pad.  So what powers the spinning magnet?  That's the interesting part.  It's powered by the electricity traveling between the wires.  You see, the spinning magnet allows the electrical circuit to complete and the completed circuit powers the spinning magnet.  This results in a variable closed time-like curve.  This creates a "time field" between the wires.  The time curve advances into the future, constantly trying to overcome itself.  The faster the magnet spins, the faster it advances into the future.

Patent Pending (Around 2015 from what I've seen.)
Now, having created this device, I placed my head into the time field, so that the electrical feeds were lined up with my temples.  It was extremely painful, but I was able to get a flash of the future.  It was very brief.  Believe me, you can't hold your head in that thing for very long, and if you use it too many times, I'm pretty sure you'll get brain cancer.  Anyway, in this brief flash, I saw my computer screen.  It was just as I had published my last post of the month.  Along the right side I saw the titles of all the archived posts.  I made a quick note of them and then pulled my head out of the time field.  Smoke was pouring from my temples and my brain was throbbing, but I quickly grabbed a pen and paper and wrote down all of the post titles.  Then I think I blacked out. 

So, I knew the titles, but I didn't know anything about the content of the posts, which brings me to this post.  You see, I just assumed that "possible methods" referred to possible methods which physicists had proposed for traveling in time.  After all, this was Time Travel Month, right?  So, I set out to write a post about that.  Well, it wasn't going well.  I was knee deep in relativity, worm holes, the Casimir effect, and rotating lasers.  It wasn't making sense to me at all.  Even worse, I had the weirdest feeling that I wasn't writing the post I was supposed to write.  Something just felt...off.

Then I come to find out that Chanel over at Fabulously Neurotic had given me The Stylish Blogger Award.  I certainly appreciated the thought on her part, but I wasn't sure how I was going to fit it in with my time travel themed schedule.  I had seen the titles unmistakably.  There had been nothing about any awards.  There was no doubt about it.  I had to stick with the titles I had seen.  How was I possibly going to do this?  I was going to have to devise some method of fitting it in.  And then it hit me.  The title didn't refer to the "possible methods" of time travel.  The title was referring to the possible methods that I could come up with to accept this award and not disrupt my time travel theme.  These were my options:
  1. I could just wait till next month to deal with this award.
  2. I could continue to write my post that was going nowhere and then tack the award thing on at the end.
  3. I could just make up a bunch of crap.
Well, it seems like option 3 is always my go-to move when I get stumped, so here I am, at it again.  On to the award:

It appears that there are some rules that go along with accepting this award:

1. Link back to the person that gave you the award (check)
2. Share seven things about myself.
3. Pass it on to ten blogs I'm following
4. Tell them I gave them the award (You know what; I'm going to pass on this last part.  Consider this a little experiment to separate the wheat from the chaff.  I lost a follower the other day.  Apparently someone had something better to do that read my uneducated ramblings.  Can you imagine?  So, consider this a test.  If you want this award you're going to have to come here and read this nonsense.  I'll know who reads, by who knows that they got the award.  Yeah!)

Okay, so seven things about me, hmmm:

1. I have a circular spot on the side of my head where hair has never grown.  I don't know why.  Seriously.

2. I have three cats, a dog, and wayyyy too much hair around my house.

3. But I don't have enough hair on my head.

4. I thought the Transformers was like the greatest thing when I was kid.  Now, I have no idea why I thought that.

5. Supposedly, I have an I.Q. of 142.  (Hey, you asked.)

6. I have a memory from when I was two weeks old.  I was born with some kind of rare intestinal defect where my muscle was knotted around my intestine or something.  I was throwing up almost all the food I was given, I guess.  One day when I was 2 weeks old, I was choking on my food and had to be rushed to the hospital.  I remember being on the couch and my mother running into the kitchen to use the phone on the wall.  I remember another baby that was in the room with me that had all these tubes and wires attached to it.  It seemed like there was a glow around it.  I remember everyone feeling sorry for this baby.  No one believes that I remember these things, but I do.

7. I did briefly attend college.  I majored in psychology.

Okay, so who am I going to give this too that doesn't already have it?

Vincent @ Wayfarer's Notes.  He's got an awesome blog, full of all kinds of deep musings.


Darv2005@Attitude and Pepper Spray.  An insider look at our penal system.


Rachel Hoyt@Rhyme Me a Smile. She's rhymes at all times.


Deanne@Some Days or Now. I really like her perspective on things.  And she's never afraid to disagree with me.


Tommy Douglas@Notes on Living.  We still don't know what happens when you strap buttered bread to a cat, and we only pray the world never finds out.


Martin Redford@The Perfect Male Blog.  By definition, trying to help me become a better person.


Doug Stevens@I Like Cheese.  Who doesn't like Cheese?


Patricia Lynne@My Journey Through the Pages.  Some nice honest thoughts about the writing a publishing process.


Asha Coleman@Random Ramblings of an Agnostic Mom.  She's just hilarious and clever, and my dreams make more sense to her than they do to me.


Lea White@My Writing Journey.  She's my daughter and she almost never reads this.  Actually, she'll probably be the only person on this list that doesn't realize she got the award.  Serves her right.


So there you go.  They said it couldn't be done, and I did it.  Actually, I said it couldn't be done.  That'll show me.


(This post is also available in extra cheesy version.)

22 comments:

  1. I believe you about the two week old memory. I have memories from before I could talk. Not as early as two weeks, but around one and two.

    She gave me the award too. I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. I'm not one of those people who forward things. Hmmm. I like the make random crap up method...as long as none of your readers attempt to recreate the time curve device...
    Funny Stuff I Write And Draw

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it!!!!! Yay!

    I'm glad you gave Doug an award. I was stuck between him and you, and I felt bad for skipping him, but I've given him awards before so I thought he probably wouldn't mind too much.

    Maybe the reason that spot on your head that never grew hair didn't grow hair because someone out there knew the one day you would live with three cats and a dog that left too much hair, so you didn't really NEED that hair. If you can follow that, it makes sense.

    You should have majored in science.

    Did you know that IQ tests don't actually measure what you know, it measures your potential for learning? I found that very interesting the first time my parents had me tested. I'm not giving you my number, though. :P

    I'm going to check out some of these blogs now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! An award for me. Yea!

    Chanel was being stingy and didn't give me one. I cried about it for about 20 minutes, but I am better now. No thanks to Chanel.

    Spelling my name incorrectly, though: was that an accident, or were you repaying me for calling you Bryan Adams?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for passing an award to me. The wheels in my head are spinning trying to think who will be the lucky torture recipient of all the damn rules that come with these things.
    Of course, you knew I'd pass by and pick mine up. I like it. It's shiny.
    http://www.ashafullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Charlie: The random crap method definitely comes in handy in a pinch.

    @Chanel: I believe that the spot on my head may have something to do with the operation I had on my stomach when I was 2 weeks old, or maybe it's a kind of birthmark. And yes, I knew that about IQ tests, but I've known plenty of people who think it measures what you know. Of course, I've also known someone who thought the days got warmer after daylight savings because of the extra hour of daylight, and also someone who thought you could travel back in time by going up to the North Pole and walking backwards across the International dateline over and over again...seriously.

    @Doug: I'm sure Chanel probably clicked on the link to this post at the beginning of the month. Not only did she know that she would be passing the award on to me, but she also saw that I would be giving the award to you. Can you believe she kept this a secret the whole times? She's sneaky. And yes, the "Stevens" thing was an accident, but as you point out, you had it coming. At least I was in the neighborhood of the right name.

    @Asha: Tell me about it. I had to invent a time bending device out of old household junk to write this post. I'm planning to give out an award of my own invention in the post after next. All the hard work will be up front. The recipient will have to jump through some hoops to "win" it, but afterwards they can just sit back and enjoy it hanging on the mantle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bryan White. Bryan Adams. Eh. Seems close to me.

    How does a stomach operation create a bald spot on your head? My mind is stuck on that. Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Thank you for the award...Ahem....I would like to thank the academy for this prestigious honor..I am truly touched and moved by this and can't believe you like me, you really like me!!!!
    And yet another man who is accusing me of not agreeing with him...Seems to be a pattern in my life.

    Anyway I can't find you on FB. There are so many freaking people with your name and the first guy that pops up for me w/ the same name is some musicians fan page..he is pretty hot...think I may like his page just to drool a bit!!!
    Leaving for India tomorrow so I will do all the formalities when I get back. Thanks again and I have to find you on FB. Do you follow my page through google on FB? I can find you that way if you follow through FB. Gonna hunt u down. Chat when I get back : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am grateful to you for conducting this experiment with the wires. You are a hero, and I feel doubly, no, quintuply, heck,myriadly burdened:

    (a) considering the effects on your health of this devilish time-travelling contraption, to prepare for you an epitaph, eulogy and obituary. I’m hoping to write all three in one, if that is not cheating;

    (b) the worrying and burdensome award that you have wished on me, which apparently requires 3 things (one of which is seven self-revelatory things, each disturbing to my shy anonymity);

    (c) the possibility of becoming, after your imminent demise, occasioned by the self-electrocution of your brain, your literary executor for the posthumous publication in book form of your alleged dreams (Encyclopedia of Counted Sheep)

    Depending on how many sheep have to be counted, this could be hundreds of tasks.

    So all I can say is thank you very much, in a certain tone of voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Doug: I figured that might be a little confusing. I kind of thought that maybe they attached some kind of heart monitor or something to my temple that killed the hair follicles. I know, my ignorance of medical procedures is astonishing.

    @Deanne: I'll follow you through Facebook. I can't think of any other way to tell you how to find me. Look for the black and white cat, and have fun in India.

    @Vincent: I've been meaning to get back to you about the Kindle thing. I haven't had a chance to look into it much yet, but I believe I might have a separate project in mind for something like that. It would take me some time. Details will be forth-coming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... my first award.... snif... sniffle... No, I'm okay, really. Just go on.... I'll be all right here in a minute.... Honk!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The beginning of the post, your invention of how you saw into the future. Well, I think it's just brilliant!

    Now, on that memory you had when you were two weeks old. Do you think it is possible to remember such a phase in your life. After a few years of deliberating, I have finally conceded with the fact that any memories I have from when I was young are constructs of all the stories I have heard from my past and the mental pictures I have created from them. It's just that I forget that I had been told the story and had thought I did not remember, but that's just me.

    Anyways thank you for the award. I feel truly honored!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No one mentioned it, so I will. Your daughter has her father's gift of gab. Her poem is a bit disturbing for her age, but if I were one of these tightly wound people who threw alarms over the slightest thing, I would shout Help!

    Since I am not. The gift of telling runs in your bloodlines. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Martin: That's the explanation I get from my mother some times, "You just remember us talking about it." But I don't know, I can see the details so clearly. There are a few things where I'm imagining things from the stories I've been told, like the time my brother backed into a space heater, and I'm not really remembering it. There's definitely a difference in the vividness, the feeling of being there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Scott: Yeah, you think? I find some of those poems a little disturbing myself, believe me. It seems every teenage girl goes through a very dark, moody phase. She really isn't quite as angsty as all that sounds, though. She doesn't wear all black and huddle in the corner of her room burning rose petals in an ashtray. I worry about her of course, though, like any father does.

    Just think of that teenage joy you have to look forward to with your own daughter. I'm sure you can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved your post!! Thanks for the award dude! Sorry I'm a little late reading, don't mean to be rude. I haven't had as much time to read. Life's been interfering with my blogging time needs. :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, no problem. Better Nate than lever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He he - found you because you keep popping up where I comment? Thought I'd be nosey and stop by your blog. I like it! So hi - and well done on this award. ;) Shah. X

    ReplyDelete
  18. The name definitely sounds familiar. Welcome to...whatever this is.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well I wasn't going to say it, but since Scott brought it up...that's what I thought, too.

    How does a stomach operation mess with your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know. I thought maybe they attached some kind of monitoring thing to head during the operation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eight out of ten ain't too bad. Moving on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...