Thursday, February 10, 2011

Correspondence with My Future Self

Some of you may be wondering if I have the slightest idea what I'm talking about with all this time business.  You may be wondering, who died and made him the king of time travel?  Where is his proof?  Where is his time traveling sports car?  Where are all his degrees and important science awards and...stuff?  Why is he so impossibly good looking?  Okay, maybe not that last one.  I figured I'd try to slip that one in there.  But let me ask you this: How many of you have tried to actually test the possibility of time travel?  Well, I have.

As I've said on more than one occasion, I was very interested in time travel when I was a kid.  When I was twelve, I began to wonder if this obsession of mine would ever yield any results.  I wondered if I would ever find myself traveling in time some day.  What can I say?  I was a weird kid.  Anyway, it occurred to me that there might be a way of finding this out without learning the virtue of patience.  I decided that I would try to write myself a letter, my future self.  I would give my future self instructions to meet at an exact time and place.  I'm not sure why I thought my future self would be at the beck and call of a twelve year old kid, but I figured that he was probably a pretty cool guy.  So I wrote myself a short note and included the time and date: September 6, 1988 at 6:35pm (see kid, I remember) and the location where I'd be.  Then I put a note on the envelope specifying that it wasn't to be opened until 2010.  2010 sounded like it was way, way in the future.  Certainly there would be time travel by then.  So I took this letter down to the mailbox, dropped it in and waited...and waited.  Nothing.  Well, I wasn't giving up.  I wrote another letter.  This time I said to meet at 7:05pm and left a note on the envelope saying not to open it until 2015.  I dropped it in and...again, nothing.

I learned something about my future that day.  I didn't learn who I was going to marry.  I didn't learn if I was ever going to be rich.  I didn't learn if I where I was going to live.  Technically, I didn't even learn whether I was actually ever going to be able to travel in time.  I learned one, simple thing.  I learned that I was never, ever, under any circumstances, going to travel back in time to meet that twelve year old boy standing by that mailbox.  If it was going to happen, it would have happened.  In this case, I was the silver jumpsuit guy, and I never showed up.  I know; pretty rude.  But suppose it was possible now, and I decided to go back there.  Well, then why don't I remember it?  If I did go back there, and the whole "multiverse" thing was true, I guess I would be meeting a me from a parallel universe then.  I don't want to meet some me that isn't me, some Asimovian construct that goes through the robotic motions of being me.  Why should he get to have all the fun?  What a weirdo.  But this isn't what you really want to know, right?  You want to know where the hell I sent those letters.

Well, I was living in Ohio then.  My parents had divorced years ago, and my father had ended up moving out to Arizona a few years later.  So I sent the letters to his address, but with my name on them.  I figured that he would stick them in a drawer and save them for me for the next twenty years or so.  Well, I was never much of a letter writer, so he was quite surprised to get something in the mail from me.  He completely ignored the notes on the envelopes and opened them.  I probably could have brought him up on federal charges for opening my mail, even if it was in his mailbox.  He got a big kick out of the whole thing.  He probably either thought it was very clever or that his son was slightly autistic.  Either way, he told this story to everyone in my family way, way more times than I cared to hear it.  It's only because I have twenty three years on that kid now, that I can even rationalize my own embarrassment  enough to talk about it here.

The future is a funny thing.  You never know how it's going to turn out.  My dad died in 2008.  How could either of us have known that I was giving him letters to deliver beyond the grave?  You never think of these things when you're twelve.  You think people are always going to be around in the years to come.  They'll be there to deliver your letters.  You think you'll have it all figured out.  You never see anything bad coming your way.  So yeah, I'm glad he opened the letters.  I'm glad they didn't just sit in a drawer as a mystery that he'd never know the answer to.  I'm glad he got a kick out of the whole thing.  I'm glad I can look back on it all with a smile.  When it's all said and done, that's more important to me than shaking hands with myself beside a mailbox.  Now, if I could only tell that kid that. 

(This post is also available in extra cheesy version.)        

27 comments:

  1. Of course there's always the chance you wrote the directions down wrong and you were actually standing at the wrong box. Did you look up and down the street? Was there a startlingly handsome but slightly confused looking man standing by a mailbox a few blocks away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be just like me to go to the wrong mailbox. But hey, wait a minute, I don't even need the directions. It doesn't matter if there wrong. I remember where the mailbox was at. Or do I? Maybe the problem wasn't with the directions. Maybe you made me doubt the directions and so I threw them out and trusted my memory instead, and THAT was wrong. Dammit. Future me thinks he knows everything. What a jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When time travel is possible you'll have to make it up to that kid even if you're an onery old man by the time it happens. Or you will have to pass the information along to your future generations so that someone can give your greetings to that kid.
    http://www.ashafullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What if the future you decided he had a complex for being such a weird kid and decided to change his appearance, his lifestyle as a whole and grew up to work as a corrections officer who has much in common with a certain blogger, but cannot place his finger on why?

    I just creeped myself out a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Asha: I can see it now. "Greetings. I am Glaxnor Dot-9867. Quantum file 773b instructed me to travel to the exact time and place from the year 86000. The continued survival of the Slarnak confederacy depends on you ingesting this information cube." Me: But...I was...just...then...what the fuck? And that's the story of how I learned to swear. The end.

    @Scott: Sounds like a pitch for movie, "They came from different worlds. Well, actually it was the same world. Actually they were the same person. What were we talking about?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think time travel must be a guy thing, at least when we're young. Women don't generally think about time travel until the first crows feet start appearing and that ominous gray hair appears, then We're ALL over time travel. Knowing my luck they'll find the fountain of youth when I'm too damn old to make the trip.

    Gotta love the story though, I'll have to add that to my list of amusing stories to tell at awkward, boring family gatherings about odd people I've met online :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well as long as Glaxnor Dot-9867 doesn't ask you to insert an information suppository...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Donna: Don't forget the part where I'm impossibly good looking. That's an essential part of the story.

    @Asha: Predestination H

    ReplyDelete
  9. I very much liked this story. No cheesy comment from me this time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, and what happened to the Azimov reference? Or did that ever really happen? And why do all the weird kids grow up to be corrections officers?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What!? You didn't see it? Look again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The end of this just melted my heart..They probably gave your dad great comfort to read them.
    I was thinking things that were just as odd as time travel. I wanted to move and bend things. I would stare for hours and try to bend spoons and and contact spirits so we all had our kid dreams that seemed strange at the time.

    By the way. I can't believe you were a kid in 1988. Now I feel old! I was out of high school for 6 years.

    Looking forward to going back and reading some of the older posts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS... Beauty (good looks) is from within and your within is pretty cool! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sad for your twelve year old self's disappointment. But a little amused. I can just picture your disappointed little face when you realized your dad opened your letters...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Deanne: I can bend spoons. Try scooping out some ice cream when it's frozen solid. I'll have to get back to you on contacting spirits.

    @Chanel: Exactly. I was very bummed out. I guess it didn't matter 'cause I didn't show up. Of course, maybe I didn't show up because the letters were opened. Hmmm, I think maybe my dad caused a time paradox. That would figure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a clear representation of the premise that when you are young you are fearless in your ideas. I think it is through this same process of innovation that people come to achieve the great inventions of our time.

    Look at all the technology we have today, they were all born from crazy ideas like the one you had when you were 12.

    If I were you, I'd encourage more of that type of thinking. Who knows what you'd be capable of creating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope this makes sense. I feel that time travel may be possible, but only from outside our universe. Once inside the universe you are caught up in the laws of space time that move you ever into the present, away from the past and always a little removed from the future. Once outside, you would also have to have a mechanism for viewing our universe in its entirety, all of space-time, in order to choose a specific coordinate of space time to re-enter. The means to leave our universe is many many years away. The mechanism to choose when and where we re-enter...well that one is near impossible as it would require infinite processing power. But we can hope.
    Funny Stuff I Write And Draw

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I think space and time are probably properties contained within and confined to our universe, which is why we run into a problem when we try to think about what's "outside" or what "came before" our universe. Those concepts probably only have relevance within the universe. Not that that makes it any easier to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cute post. You never know, though, someday time travel might actually be possible and you WILL go back and visit that boy. If that happens, though, your entire history will change. Good thing? Bad thing? Who knows. Just promise me if it happens, you won't mess with the world too much. Things are pretty cool for me right now. Don't want the butterfly effect to screw things up for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll try not to mess things up too much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Entertaining and poignantly sweet. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you. It was nice of Doug to post the link to this. He was trying to help push me over the 10,000 mark. He's always liked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very Interesting... may be you should write a letter to the 12 year old now and see if you can send it to the past to tell him that there is not time travel.... but you will need time travel for that too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That could be a little trickier. I'd love to figure out a way to do it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bet the Postal Time Police confiscated that letter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...