Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Grant Me the Serenity

We all have memories that are special to us.  Sometimes we wish that we could crawl back into these memories and somehow live inside them all over again, not to change things, but just to be there again, to feel the way the air felt different then, to look into the eyes of someone who has long since slipped away, to really savor and appreciate those moments in a way that was impossible the first time around when we had no idea how fragile and transient they were.  But the wave of time pushes us farther and father away from these memories.  We struggle against the sweep of the wave, straining to reach back and grab a hold of these things.  But the wave says, "No.  We have to keep going."

We've all had our share of regrets.  We turned right when we should have turned left.  We gave in to temptations that we knew we should have resisted, and we eventually had to face the consequences.  We acted on what we knew then, instead of what we know now.  We let opportunities slip through our hands, thinking that another one would be right around the corner.  We've all had moments when we finally realized it was too late to fix a mistake, and we clinched our fists and cursed our inability to undo our own stupidity.  We've all held something priceless in our hands, and we've stumbled and faltered, and before we even knew what had happened, we watched the thing shatter on the ground.  These shattered pieces are the wave of time.  One moment the thing is whole, and in the next it's laying there, broken forever.

But it's not only our own regrets.  We watch as the whole world moves and changes, evolving and transforming beyond our control.  We watch our old elementary school being torn to the ground.  We watch them build a shopping center in it's place.  We watch as stars fade out and things rust and rot away.  We carve our names into a tree, as though preserving it in stone, only to see that same tree chopped down and cut into firewood and then burned away.  We see the people around us passing one by one.  The wave keeps advancing, carry some forward, and leaving some behind.

But the wave sweeps on, and eventually we all succumb to the great equalizer.  Our bodies age and whither, until they're finally broken by the wave, scattered in pieces or laid in the ground.  New life is born in our place, and it grows and changes and undergoes the same processes along the crest of the wave.  Even the sun itself will die out and the galaxies will collide, and all the intricate traces that we've made in the sand will be smoothed out and erased by the relentlessess, unstoppable sweep of the wave.  But another star will be born in it's place, and again the process will go on, on a larger scale, until even all the stars and galaxies themselves are no more.  Eventually the wave will wash the entire slate clean and there will be nothing but darkness and emptiness and vast silence.  Then the universe will collapse in on itself, and maybe the result will be another Big Bang, and rebirth will happen once again on the largest scale of all.  And the wave will press on.

I know that time travel isn't a subject for everyone.  I knew that going into this.  Some people are fascinated by it's puzzles and possibilities, while others see nothing but confusing nonsense.  Nevertheless, I think time itself is something that we all care about.  It is one of the fundamental aspects of our existence.  In some form or another, it is a dimension of nearly every thought we have.  We think of it thousands of times a day, even now as you think of how many times you think of time.  It can seem cruel and relentless.  It can seem like a road of opportunities, waiting ahead.  Perhaps the true power over time comes not in looking for ways to manipulate it or alter its course, but to accept it as it moves us along to the next thing that's just about to happen...now.

(This posts is also available in extra cheesy version and chaos flavor and full-blown neurosis.)

18 comments:

  1. *sigh* Accepting things the way they are is so frustrating sometimes.

    I never carved my name into a tree...Now I really want to try it. That's not illegal, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great...now I am going over all my regrets and my heart aches to move the second hand back a few billion times. The wave pushes me on and even the words I write will eventually fall as dust long after my body has done so.

    Thanks, Bryan! Now I have something in my eye...no...I'm not crying...something in MY EYE! Stop looking at me! Nothing to see here.
    Funny Stuff I Write And Draw

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chanel: They sell these kids where you put faces on a tree, like a giant Mr. Potato Head. If those are okay, then I think carving your name into a tree'll be alright.

    @Charlie: It is sad isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work Brian .. do you take your own photos ? .. We have similar themes this week .. have you been following my blog Edge of the Map / exemplar art ? .. Cheers .. KW

    www.exemplarart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shared this with my daughter, to indulge in a moment that I want to think went over her head, but something tells me my 20-month-old understands this better than even we do. Well done-sir

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you are going to die someday. Not me. Sorry. I didn't sign up for that crap.

    Not sure how I am going to pull it off, especially since you are telling me even the universe is going to collapse, but, nope, not gonna die.

    To die is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @KW: Unfortunately, no. I don't even have a camera at the moment. I found these on the internet. I do like to take photos though. I have used a couple of my own photos here from time to time.

    @Scott: Maybe she can help my 170 month old with it.

    @Doug: I believe our old friend Mark Twain said, "I'm not scared of dying. I was dead for millions of years before I was born, and it didn't bother me one bit." Something to that effect. I'm horrible with quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Bryan! You have traveled in depth and explained it very well.
    Mysteries and mysteries..as we keep searching them ,we find them to reach infinity .It takes a whole life to search and write about them

    By the way,I have explained to your query Moksha on my Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Final Destination" Well, that fits here, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, until that spoilsport dementia stamps on it, I can time-travel on memories. It’s not just a passive armchair thing, but active, or rather interactive. Scientifically I cannot change the past, none of that kill-my-grandfather business, but in some shamanistic manner I can re-edit the memories, which is a lot better.

    Speaking of dementia, I have a brain problem which hits every once in a while, in which I forget how old I am, what date it is, even what century we are in. I consider various possibilities and pick the one which is most likely. It is almost always the right answer but takes effort till things reconnect themselves. Once, after visiting a weird hands-on therapist who did things like shiatsu, coloured lights and tuning-forks, my brain was so scrambled I couldn't remember which side of the road to drive. I copied everyone else of course but it took a while before it felt natural again. Oh well, Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero, so long as there’s a dies to carpere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crapping thing just lost my comment! Aargh! There was something about buying a new surfboard to ride the wave with.... Dang I can't remember it. Yaaaaaargh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Vincent: Well, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road to begin with, so I'm sure it would be confusing :)

    Your memory trouble sounds a little concerning, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that.

    @Rev: This new comment kind of illustrates the point of the post in its own way, doesn't it? The worst is when you get the dreaded "file too large" message. It's like a double kick in the nuts. It's like Blogger's saying, "You put too much time and effort into writing that comment, so I'm afraid we're going to have delete it."

    ReplyDelete
  13. First off, I have to tell you that is one of the most beautiful things I've even read from you so far.
    We are all just a blip in time and we have to live each day pressing forward since forward is the only direction we can travel. That is until you invent the flux capacitor and/or Doug invents the deluxe cheesinator.
    http://www.ashafullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you.

    "Deluxe Cheesinator" sounds like something they'd sell on a late-night infomercial, demonstrating its 50 different uses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thinking it would need nacho cheese coursing through it instead of plutonium.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great post of walking through time...Some times time flies while other days seem to drag on. The power of now makes so much sense as all the great sages have shared this truth about being in the now. I love this video of the now that I am linking for you! The time is "Now" because tomorrow never comes because when it gets here it's today! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpi4IUPzIiU

    ReplyDelete
  17. AWESOME post time travel month post! So true. Tomorrow IS always a day away. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...