Tuesday, February 8, 2011

12 Monkeys: Mental Divergence

The Path of the Virus
I love a good time travel story.  I have seen all three of the Back to the Future movies more times than I can remember.  I could tell you precisely how the time travel rules change from one Terminator movie to the next.  I even sat through The Time Traveler's Wife, God help me.  But, my all time favorite has to be 12 Monkeys.  It faithfully follows the principle that the past can not be changed and then takes that principle to the point of absurdity as causality circles back on itself like the monkeys chasing each other's tails round and round, representing the twelve hours on the face of a clock.  The funny thing is, though, in a certain sense 12 Monkeys isn't about time travel at all.  It's about mental illness.  It's about the fine line between insanity and what we're willing to believe.

In the late 19th century a man named Daniel Schreber was treated from what was then known as dementia preacox, a illness which we now call schizophrenia.  He believed that God and his psychiatrist were trying to turn him into a woman.  He believed that God was trying to penetrate his skull with "rays of sperm".  At one point, he became convinced that the outside world had ended and that the people and doctors that visited him were only mere facsimiles of the people they represented.  In 12 Monkeys, James Cole is locked in a mental institution in 1990 following a violent outburst.  He believes he is from the future.  He believes that billions will die in 1996 from a deadly virus.  He believes that he has been sent to the past to collect information, and that the people around him are already dead from his perspective, ghosts of the past living in a world that has long since been abandoned and reclaimed by the animals.  He believes that there is a transmitter in his tooth that transmits his location to the people in the future.  He often hears a disembodied voice when calls him "Bob."  Much like Schreber's doctors, Cole's doctors consider him to be insane.  The difference in 12 Monkeys is that it's all treated as if it's completely true.

There's a statement at the beginning of the film that suggests that Cole's story is based on a real patient's delusion.  The issue the film raises is how do we know what's true and what isn't?  How do we know if a man who claims to be from the future is insane or telling the truth?  We hear all the time from people who claim to have been abducted by aliens, people who claim to be channeling the dead souls of Egyptian pharaohs, and yes, even people who claim to be from the future.  It's easy to be dismissive and declare that these people are either "crazy" or lying to get attention.  But how can we really be sure?  Maybe aliens really are secretly communicating with certain chosen people via their television sets.  When it comes to committing someone to an institution where do you draw the line between someone who needs help and someone who claims something that you "know" is impossible?

Having seen a few cases of schizophrenia for myself, I believe that the defining feature of the illness is the lack of internal logic.  It's one thing to have someone tell you that they've seen a UFO.  It's another thing to have someone show you a jar of chunky peanut butter as proof that Jesus controlled an army of robot spiders.  If you've ever been there, you know the difference.  I'm not saying that you necessarily believe every person that tells you they've seen a UFO.  I'm just saying that don't just dismiss them as insane because you don't believe in UFO's.  If it sounds like it makes sense if you granted the premise that it was true, then you can at least give them the benefit of the doubt, and agree to disagree and remain skeptical until you see some proof for yourself.  

Following the recent shooting in Tuscon, one of my cousins in Arizona posted links to some Youtube videos that this Jared Loughner kid had made a few months earlier.  Most of them feature little blocks of text talking about "conscience dreaming" and "a new currency".  I've watched these videos, and I really don't see the slightest possibility of making any kind of sense out of anything he's saying.  Obviously, I don't need to tell you that I'm not a doctor, and I don't know the kid.  It's hard to make a determination based on a few words taken out of context in an online video.  Is it possible that he has some valid theories about the true nature of reality?  I suppose.  But strictly on the basis of what I've seen, and with my extremely limited qualifications, I think there are definite signs of metal illness.  In any case, I can't quite imagine any insight into the nature of reality that he might have had that would justify the actions he took.

12 Monkeys presents a very extreme case.  True though it is, Cole's story sounds every bit as much like dementia as any story could.  Is the movie simply trying to present a concrete dramatization of a schizoid delusion, or is it just doing everything it can to push the boundary between the possible and the insane?  It's hard to say.  At one point he vanishes from a tiny locked room where he was sedated and restrained to the floor.  One of the doctors speculates that Cole must have slipped the restraints, climbed the high, smooth walls, and escaped through an extremely small vent in the ceiling.  Given what he believes, this is the only logical explanation that he can come up with...and it's just as crazy as anything else in the movie.

(This post is also available in extra cheesy version.)

12 comments:

  1. OK, now I want to watch this stupid movie again. Thanks a lot, Bryan. And hey, look, I can use that conveniently located Amazon box...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent some quality time around some really truly crazy people. Sometimes it's startling how plausible their delusions start to sound after awhile. Startling and a bit worrisome at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy people? In a prison? Well now I've heard it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen 12 Monkeys (they needed a better name), but it sounds sad.

    It's amazing what people will say, no matter how illogical it is, to explain something happening is that is just as illogical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tone is more weird than sad. There is a sad aspect to it, though, if you think about inescapable fate and someone who was never given a real chance.

    It's interesting; I definitely recommend it. I can't imagine anyone regretting that they watched it, except maybe Doug.

    The title refers to an animal rights group, kind of like a version of P.E.T.A that engages in minor borderline-terrorist stunts. What does this have to do with time travel and mental institutions? You'd have to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly can't remember if I saw this, but now I kinda want to watch it again? too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the last time I watched that movie was probably in the late 90s. Now I'll have to feed my netflix addiction by queueing that bad boy up.
    I believe in keeping an open mind about everything. If you think about it, billions of people believe in invisible dieties in the sky and they aren't tucked away in padded rooms. It's a tolerated belief system.
    http://www.ashafullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched it about seven times. The part that bothered me was when the lady shows up on the airplain after Cole meets his fate. It is implyed that she is there in order to get the sample that will save humanity's future. That doesn't work for me after showing that time cannot be rewritten. In a world where time travel is possible, if the past is fixed then the future is fixed too.

    Have you seen Primer?
    Funny Stuff I Write And Draw

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I've never been quite sure of what to make of the lady at the end and her cryptic line, "I'm in insurance." Is she there to stop the guy? That would contradict the whole point of the movie. Were they showing that she had been sitting next to guy years ago and hadn't realized it? Surely she would have looked a great deal younger. Cole was still a kid then. Was she there to complete Cole's mission of getting a sample of the virus to take back to the future to work on a cure? How did she get the sample then without ruining the guy's plan to spread the virus? Wouldn't they have already have had the sample in the future then? Or maybe not. Damn, I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, especially since he released it in philly! It would be better to get it at the lab right? In which case we never woulda had a movie!

      Delete
  10. I know this is an older post, but I'm just catching on to your blog and have read a few of your other Time Travel posts. This is the one I connect with the most. Terry Gilliam is one of my all time faves, and 12 Monkeys has to be his best, the last scene on the airplane notwithstanding.
    I wanted to recommend you read Connie Willis. She now has several books set in her world where time travel is possible, starting with Doomsday Book. My favorite is To Say Nothing of the Dog, which is witty and funny and is mostly about the problems inherent in the rule of not being able to change the future.
    Anyway, good blog. This is me, though I didn't have time to get in a blog for time travel month; can I go back?:
    It Just Got Interesting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, no problem. It's always nice to see someone comment on an old post. It shows that someone actually goes back through the archives on occasion.

    A writer who specializes in time travel stories? I'll definitely have to check that out.

    Sadly, time travel month is over. But if you can find a way to go back and contribute, I'm sure we'll all love to hear what you have to say. Or, um, we'll all have loved to have heard what you said, then, when....oh forget it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...