Friday, November 25, 2011

A Fresh Look at the Expansion Theory

When I first heard of the Expansion Theory years ago, I don't think I ever really considered taking it seriously.  It struck me as the sort of cornball idea that's only good for shaking up your preconceptions and possibly motivating you to consider different perspectives, the typical sort of thing that inevitably comes up in conversations about "thinking outside the box", something akin to my "microcosm" idea mentioned a few months back.  But yet, the theory has stuck with me, nagging at my mind from time to time, and tucked away on some back shelf where I didn't really bother talking about it.  Today, however, it somehow came up in a conversation I was having with my daughter, and this leisurely day of leftovers and laying around watching TV provided me with an occasion to dust it off, bring it down from the shelf, and reconsider it.  After some brief hunting around on the internet, I found some people who actually take the idea seriously, as well as some interesting arguments for and against.  Some of the advocates of the theory seem a bit...crackpot-ish, even a little too...Flat Earth, but some of them seemed to make a fairly sober and compelling case.  I won't say that I'm completely sold on the idea.  Far from it.  But I'm no longer so quick to dismiss it either.

For those of you who've never heard of it, the Expansion Theory is basically the idea that all the matter in the universe is in a constant state of expansion, and this expansion is fairly uniform.  Since (under this theory) we're expanding along with everything else, this expansion is nearly imperceptible.  If fact, it only manifests itself in one obvious way: gravity.  Confused yet?  Don't worry, my daughter didn't know what the heck I was talking about either.  Let me see if I can't find a way to make it clearer.

If I hold a ball in my hand, and I let it go, it appears to fall to the ground as though pulled there by a force of attraction.  What the Expansion Theory is saying is that the ball doesn't fall at all; it doesn't actually even move.  The Expansion Theory says that the Earth and the ball come to meet each other as they expand, filling the space between them.  Because I'm growing, and the room is growing, and...well, everything is growing, then I don't see that the ball gets any bigger.  I just see the ball and the Earth rapidly colliding.  You see, as long as I'm holding the ball in my hand, and I'm standing solidly on the ground, then the ball and I are both being pushed outward through space by the expanding surface of the Earth.  But the second I let go of the ball, it stays at that same point in space until the surface of the Earth expands to meet it.  To our eyes, it appears to fall.  (See figure below.)


I know, it sounds crazy, right?  The idea that you, your computer, and the room you're sitting in have all doubled in size while you've been reading this seems absolutely ludicrous.  But is it really any more ludicrous that attributing gravity to a curvature of space that you can't see?  Anyway, like I said, I'm far from completely sold on the idea.  It has a few obvious problems, and a few not-so-obvious problems.  For one thing, you have the fact that gravity gets weaker with distance.  At first glance this seems to definitely contradict the theory, but I've come across some intriguing proposals for tackling that problem.  Again, I haven't gone off the deep-end completely.  It's just something interesting to pursue on a lazy day while I lounge around the house digesting my turkey, a little worthwhile time spend outside the box.  I'll keep you posted.             

19 comments:

  1. There is a lot of expanding going on here, specifically, with my gut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I knew somebody would make a joke like that. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Scott took my joke about expanding waistlines, so I'll just say that it's interesting but rather confusing. Enjoy your leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well. Either they are insisting the world gets bigger every time someone bounces a ball or.. something else. If everything in the universe was expanding at exactly the same rate, including me, the earth, the ball and Scotty's waistline then the ball would never reach the ground, it would just stay in place relative to the earth until Turkey Boy over there pushed us off.

    Hey! You! This universe aint big enough for the both of us! You, me and Jenny Craig at ten paces! High noon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If everything in the universe was expanding at exactly the same rate, including me, the earth, the ball and Scotty's waistline then the ball would never reach the ground, it would just stay in place relative to the earth until Turkey Boy over there pushed us off."

    Nah, I'm afraid you're not seeing it right. I'm not saying the theory is true, but in principle it would work....to some degree.

    Suppose you're standing on a huge balloon as it's swelling, and you're growing at the same rate as the balloon, so you don't really notice that the balloon is growing, pushing you further out into the empty space around it. Now, suppose you jump a foot off the surface of the balloon. As you and the balloon continue to grow, you'll quickly fill the space between you and it would appear that you were falling back to the surface of the balloon.

    As for "turkey boy", he wouldn't push us off because the surface area of the balloon would be expanding along with his waistline, so we'd all occupy the same amount of room on the balloon...relatively speaking.

    It's hard to visualize, I know, but it's actually the opposite of what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard this version of expansion theory. I've read about the universe expanding. And it makes sense on a large scale of galaxies and stuff since the big bang blew everything apart forever, unless gravity becomes strong enough to pull everything back together again into a big crunch. But what you're describing seems to discount gravity altogether. I don't know. All I know that if Stephen Hawking talks about a principle of physics, I'm likely to believe it even if I can't fathom the math behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it doesn't really "discount" gravity; it's just kind of a wild explanation for what it is. The thing about gravity is that it is somewhat of a mystery. Newton called it a "force of attraction", but no one could be quite sure what this force was or how it reached across vast distances, say from the Earth to the Sun. Newton just said, "There's this thing called 'gravity' and here's how it works." Einstein later attributed it to a curvature of space caused by mass. This is still our best explanation, and definitely the one most commonly held by the scientific community in general, Hawking included. Problem is, Einstein's formulas break down at the level of quantum mechanics, particularly the ones concerning gravity. So, there's still some crucial pieces of the puzzle missing. Now, I'm not saying that this Expansion Theory provides those missing pieces. That would be a ridiculously bold statement to make, and I would be way, wayyyyyy, out of my league making it. I just think it's a pretty wild idea, and...entertaining to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And as far as the universe expanding, that's precisely something that they can't make sense of at this point, given existing theories. At this point they're attributing it to "dark energy", which is just their way of saying that they don't know what it is; they just know that it shows up in the math.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Disclaimer: Of course, I'm no expert on this things myself, and I'm drawing on my fairly sketchy reservoir of information. So I apologize in advance if I've got my facts wrong and I sound like an ass ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're no more of an ass than I am. Not saying much there, as I'm as amateur at physics as anyone. But I do like thinking about what makes it all work. Dark matter's as good a reason as any in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've grown any while reading this...I mean, I'd have stretch marks if I grew that much that fast, right? Since I haven't got any stretch marks, I think this theory is all washed up.

    But it's more palatable than Relativity. That one made my brain hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, stretch marks do present a problem for the theory. They'll have to account for that in the calculations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course one of the nifty things about this theory is that it cannot be proved. If every single thing in the universe is expanding at the same rate (including all of our measuring devices) then there's no way it can ever be proven. I wonder, are things like protons expanding as well? Or are they just moving farther apart?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, they say the expansion is taking place at an atomic level.

    As for proving it, well, they say there's a simple experiment (something nearly anyone could perform) which provides corroborating evidence...of a sort. It's a little too much to get into in a comment, and I'd need to make up some more niffty illustrations, so I'll save it for a future post. I haven't tried the experiment, and I'm not sure how much proof it actually offers even if it does work the way they say. I'll just lay it out as a...curiosity, for you guys to pick apart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm.... I'd like to see their experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks, and I have to say I'm extremely dubious. It's obviously a nifty explanation of an observable phenomenon (a falling object), but how would it deal with the motion of the moon, for example? This can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion or general relativity, but can the expansion theory be used to make the calculation?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm quite dubious about it as well. And I'm not sure about rotation - the moon and the Earth and so on - I keep trying to picture it in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The expansion theory seems to be the real deal in this house since my ass has expanded over the past few months so I am buying this one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...