Friday, November 4, 2011

Deer Jerky is Delicious

From the looks of it, it appears that every Monday morning someone shows up at my work with Sunday's paper, and then they proceed to have an epileptic fit which involves throwing the sales flyers around in all directions.  Every Monday night, we find the aftermath of this episode scattered all over the break room, and we all sit around thumbing through these flyers and having fairly insipid conversations about them until someone has the good sense to finally gather the whole mess up and throw it in the garbage.

This past Monday I came across a flyer for a sporting goods store which featured deals on several different hunting rifles, and I was struck by the fact that Deer Season is here again.  Even for a vegetative, indoorsy person like myself this fact is inescapable at this time of year in Northeast Ohio.  Plus, given the random proliferation of hunting magazines that pop up all over the shop, I'm guessing someone around there really has it in for the deer.  So I was looking through this flyer, and I made the off-handed remark that the way rednecks act about hunting always strikes me as "borderline psychotic", which I admit is a fairly exaggerated statement, and probably grossly unfair.  But then this woman that I work with that was there in the break room replied that it was "nature", which would have been the stupidest argument that I've ever heard for hunting, if she hadn't followed it up moments later with the notion that it's a "sport."

For the record, I eat meat.  I eat a lot of meat.  Three of my four basic food groups are meat, and the fourth one is whatever kind of animal fat that is that they deep fry Hostess Fruit Pies in.  So, I'm obviously in no position to get a holier-that-thou attitude about killing animals.  Any animal that sees me coming with a fork would be well advised to run the other way.  Also, I'm not so blinded by liberal outrage that I can't understand that hunting was once a necessity of human survival.  Food wasn't always neatly packed on Styrofoam trays, shrink-wrapped in plastic, and placed on display in the local supermarket.  You either grew it or hunted it, and there was even a time when the cultivation needed to grow food was beyond the range of humanity's mental horizons and the comfort of their living conditions.  There was a time when hunting was the only way to survive.

I suppose that an argument could even be made that hunting in the modern age is a way of passing a vital tradition down from generation to generation, a way of preserving a skill that could be needed if civilization ever collapsed and we were driven back to stalking the woods for our food.  I can see that.  There's something to be said for not surrendering completely to the comforts of a technological society, for keeping the gun loaded and the eye steady should the wolf reappear at the door.  I can almost even understand the mystical reverence that people like Ted Nugent have for the practice...almost.

However, I don't think that throwing the word "nature" at the subject is a valid argument.  What's natural about laser powered scopes and night vision goggles?  Is the fact that you're going out to the woods with your gear make the activity an inherent part of nature?  Is it natural because animals hunt one another?  Is it natural because our ancestors hunted?  Declaring that something is "nature" seems like a vast cop-out, as though it's something beyond argument or morality, something we're driven to do by our lower reptilian brain and our baser instincts.  Sorry, I don't buy that.  Civilization means, at the very least, an attempt to rise above these things, to curb these primitive impulses.  If we're going to start throwing out "nature" as an excuse for our actions we might as well strip down now and abandon the cities and return to the trees.

Arguing that it's a "sport" is an even bigger cop-out.  How does calling something a "sport" magically supersede the moral issues involved?  What exactly qualifies it as a "sport"?  I suppose the tracking requires a certain amount of skill that could be classified as sportsmanship, but other than that it's basically just picking up a gun and killing a defenseless animal.  It's a bizarre sport where the other team isn't aware that they're even playing, they never asked to play, they were never asked if the wanted to play, and their only notification that the game was on was a bullet between the eyes.  They don't even get endorsement deals!  Seriously though, even if an argument can be made that it is a sport, then it still seems to me like a lame point to raise against ethical objections.  "Well, it's a sport!", comes off pretty weak.

So, I can understand the idea of keeping the skills sharp, and I have no room to object to the idea of killing animals and eating the meat.  It's hard to argue that point with a roast beef sandwich in each hand.  I guess it all comes down to a sense that for some of these people it isn't about survival, or tradition, or even food.  For some of them it comes off as simply a twisted need to go out and kill something.  Still others seem to do it for some kind of masculine validation.  Either of these seem like pretty dickish reasons to go out and shoot an animal that was minding its own business.  At least, that's my opinion.                          

11 comments:

  1. I am with you. I can almost see the justifications for hunting. It's that crazy shooting by remote control from a helicopter that pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @John & Doug (we'll call you "Joug" in the tradition of celebrity couples): Yes, you have to wonder what it says about a person when their first response when they see a majestic buck like the one in the picture above is, "Damn, I wish I had my gun with me so I could shoot that thing."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started a brouhaha one day when I suggested, in a group of avid hunters, that they were pussies. I said if you couldn't leap out of a tree with a knife in your teeth and kill it with your bare hands then you shouldn't be allowed to hunt. I barely escaped with my life. They boxed me about the head several times and made me endure countless lectures about "thinning the herds" and "natural selection" and how hunting actually helped the rest of the animals survive the winter.

    I still think they are mostly limp sisters. I just don't say it out loud anymore.

    While I will admit that making a clean kill with a single shot from a 1000+ yards has an element of sport to it, anything closer than that is just weak. I have to give props to bow hunters. They at least pit some skill against a chance of getting an animal.

    I haven't hunted in years and years. But I do get my share of deer meat each year. And it is delicious. I just don't have to get up at 4:00am and sit in a tree to get my share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natural Selection?? I'm not sure they're clear on the "natural" part. At any rate, I hope they're not implying that they might end up being responsible for the evolution of bullet-proof, pissed off deer. I'm not sure that would be much of an argument in their favor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, there's that whole "nature" thing again. Unless I'm misunderstanding what these hunters were saying, it sounds like they were implying that their hunting was just another part of the natural order of the forest. This business of trying to designate certain human activities as "natural" seems like a dubious undertaking to me. Sure, any kind of biological process such as sleeping, eating, shitting, giving birth, and so on, can rightly be called "natural", but I think once you're talking about anything that involves even a trace of intellect, then it becomes impossible to draw a solid line of demarcation between the natural and the artificial. Otherwise, the term "natural" loses all meaning, and becomes merely a term of sentiment. For instance, how can you draw an absolute distinction that says a baby crib is something natural, while a computer chip is artificial? You can argue that the crib is more natural, because it's closer to the biological imperatives of birth and reproduction, and possibly even because it bears a close resemblance to the nest instincts of other animals, but ultimately a crib is an artificial thing, not something strictly intended by nature. There can't be any half measures. Humans can't be considered natural, part time, on the side, whenever it suits someone's excuses, and then judged for our artificial affronts to nature at other times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I guess anything dubbed "natural" can be put down as "what you have gotten used to". The hunters claim that by thinning the herds they provide more food for the remaining animals therefore ensuring their survival.

    There was a time when politicians were considered honest hardworking men who had the best interests of our country at heart. Now they are all lying skeezy dirtbags only out to get their weenies wet and make piles of money in the process. We've gotten used to that so we consider it a part of their "natural" state.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "What you have gotten used to." Exactly, and there's the problem with dubbing things "natural" in that manner. It tends towards an extreme ultra-conservative mentality, and a very sanctimonious one at that. By necessity, it discourages any sort of innovation, ingenuity, or really any new ideas period, in favor of hallowing things with a long-standing tradition behind them as "natural." Hundreds of years ago, for instance, the steamship was considered an unnatural abomination as opposed to the sailing vessel.

    Now, I'll admit that we get further from nature as our technology progresses, but everything we've produced since the wheel has been artificial to some degree. However, producing the artificial is our enduring legacy as human beings, for better or for worse. Believing that there was some previous state in our near or distant past that was "natural" is, in my opinion, only a way of seeking refuge in a delusion of perspective. There are plenty of people who think like this though. As much as I love his writing, E.B. White's essays are littered with these kind of sentiments. Also, our mutual friend Vincent sounds like he might adhere to this kind of viewpoint on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If nature had been thinking clearly, it would have nipped that developing higher brain function thing right in the bud at the beginning. Then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You mention that what takes us out of the natural realm is our intellect. I would argue that it's our ability to make the decision not to hunt for sport, to not give in to some natural instinct that makes us human in the first place. It is a dubious argument indeed to say it's okay if we just do what comes naturally.

    And I'm totally with you on the eating meat thing. Hamburgers taste good. Bacon tastes good. I'm glad we live such unnatural lives that I don't have to go out and kill my own pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "it's our ability to make the decision." Yes, I could have mentioned something like that, but apparently Free Will has been touchy subject around here lately ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...