Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sartre's Question (Act Three)

When Sartre speaks of the question, he is referring to more than just an interrogatory statement with a piece of punctuation fixed to its tail.  He is speaking of an attitude of uncertainty towards being.  Although this attitude may only occasionally be expressed through a literal, explicitly outright question, it is nearly always with us, close at hand.  It is a fundamental part of our relationship with being.  It is the glance elsewhere.  It is the grounds for proposing otherwise.  It is the nexus, the crossroads of our creativity, our imagination, and yes...our freedom.

If it were not for the question, our consciousness would coincide perfectly with our experience of being.  It would become absorbed completely by being.  I would only ever find the thirteen dollars in my wallet.  I would only ever encounter being at my door.  Without the question, nothingness would never enter the picture.  In fact, there would be no sense in which we could discuss what was and what was not in "the picture."  There would only be the picture, and us smiling serenely at it, our satisfaction completely exhausted in it.  Without being able to question the picture, we would have no means of proposing other possibilities.

In such a case, determinist causality would simply work its way through our actions like a run of dominoes.  There would be a knock at the door, and we would inevitably answer it without even so much as speculating about who might be on the other side.  Action and reaction, we would fall as just another link in the chain.  We would respond to being without any means of considering that response.  So, we begin to see that the question is more than just another domino in the run.  It disrupts the dominoes.  It says, "Hey, wait a minute.  What if...?"  It holds up the show.  When the knock comes and we say, "I wonder who that is.", we immediately put possibility and choice into play.  "I hope it's not Tom.  I don't really want to see Tom.  Maybe I shouldn't open the door.  Maybe it's Jill.  Maybe I should open it!"  Now we begin to see that the act isn't merely contingent on the knock, as simple action/reaction.  It becomes contingent instead on the question, the possibilities raised by it.  We search ourselves for the grounds on which to choose our answer, and we act on the basis of that choice.  We decide it's Jill.  We open the door.  We decide it's Tom.  We hide in the basement.

Suppose being doesn't leave us in suspense.  Suppose we peek out the window and see that it is Tom standing on our doorstep.  The questions still present themselves, "Do I really like Tom?  Do I want to deal with him right now?"  Suspense may arise on other levels.  "I wonder what he wants?"  Again, our actions become contingent on what questions we pose and how we answer them for ourselves.  And yet, there seems to be no contingency for the question itself.  Under determinism, the knock should simply provoke a response.  You'll answer it, or hide.  Raising doubts and dilemma places the subject in an ambivalent position, requiring choice.  Causality is a very strict, definite thing.  Cause leads inevitably to effect.  There's no room for ambivalence and uncertainty.  It cannot, as Sartre says, "contain the tiniest germ of nothingness."  The question, on the other hand, requires a break with being, a nihilating withdraw, a distance from being in order to gain perspective on it and consider it's possibilities.  This break cannot be provoked by being, because, by its very nature, it is a transcendence of being, and therefore also a transcendence of causality.

In the determinist view of the world, we see everyone going through the motions like so many figurines in a vast, complex toy that is wound with a single key.  Bills come in the mail, and people pay them or fail to pay them.  The ice cream truck rolls through the neighborhood and the kids catch it some days, and some days they don't.  You can stand back from it all and see that this gear turned this cog, and it's all an incredible display of interlocking order.  The question is completely superfluous to this process.  What purpose does the question serve when the outcome is certain and inevitable?  How would this endless trip of dominoes ever give rise to uncertainty?  It seems that the question can find no gainful employment in the lock-step world of causality.  In fact, it seems that consciousness itself is superfluous to the determinist model.  What does these figurines need with consciousness when all their actions are set in motion by the winding of the key?

But it's not that consciousness arises from the question, but rather the question arises from the nature of consciousness.  The withdraw from being puts us in this position of uncertainty.  It provides the breathing room necessary for the question to be asked.  Consciousness is not the apple, but rather an awareness of the apple.  Therefore it can take an attitude of uncertainty towards the apple.  It can transcend the apple and consider its possibilities.  Consciousness steps back and considers these possibilities from the far hill, and once again it's able to transcend them to further possibilities.  There is nothing between consciousness and the apple, and yet it is precisely this nothingness which provides consciousness with a certain amount of leg room in its relationship with being, what Sartre calls the "decompression" of being. Consciousness slips back, gains firm ground, and poses the question to being, and from the question determines its own destiny.

To be clear, I am not, nor do I believe is Sartre, suggesting that causality has no bearing what-so-ever on human actions.  Free will is a transcendence of causality, not an exemption from it.  We are driven by causality, rather than determined by it, just as hunger might drive a person to seek food, or even in extreme cases, has driven people to resort to cannibalism.  Circumstances pushed people to these desperate extremes where these possibilities presented themselves, but these possibilities arose out of their capacity to question.  "Can we live with this?  Is there some other way that we might get food?  Can we hold out until a rescue party arrives?"  The circumstances provided the occasion for these questions, but ultimately the choices were made on the basis of the questions themselves.  The knock at the door drives us with the necessity to make the choice, but the choice is ours to make.

In this disparity between being driven and being determined, lies a world of difference.  In the next, final, two posts in this series we will consider the concepts by which Sartre explores this difference and the rather curious chasm between consciousness and being.

44 comments:

  1. We're gonna do things a little differently today. I'm not going to argue the finer points of this post with anyone. I think I've said about all I can say on the subject for the time being. I have completely exhausted my thoughts on the matter. Plus, I had a lousy night at work.

    I will however, temporarily turn off the comment moderation. So feel free to pick this apart and be as brutal as you want, or you can argue amongst yourself about it. I may pop in to clarify details, but I'm not going to debate the fundamentals. Instead, I'm going to crawl under some blankets and get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a confused kind of way I would have preferred to read this one first, then I would not have needed to question the earlier ones. Because now, the closer that Sartre comes to telling what he has to say, the more my question (which demonstrates freewill?) restricts itself to the single word "Why?" Why did he have to write this tome, this great brick which my girlfriend used to carry round everywhere and allegedly read sometimes?

    He had a choice: write Being and Nothingness, or have himself a great deal extra spare time to put up shelves, think about all the affairs Simone de Beauvoir was having behind his back or possibly otherwise, so that he could watch. Or write a few more novels & plays. I enjoyed la Nausée & his Roads to Freedom trilogy. His play Les Mains Sales was pretty dire, at least on the page.

    What made him decide to throw brickbats at determinism in the first place? Did anybody ever believe it? If they did, why could he not leave them in peace, same as atheists ought to leave Christians in peace, and almost everyone should leave so-called homophobes in peace? (as opposed to real ones, like those in Jamaica, who are known to kill their quarry.)

    It's good when comment moderation is off. I can make immoderate comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i made some immoderate comments and they have disappeared. Can't be Bryan, he's having a rest under blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mere existence of consciousness belies determinism in anything with a brain larger than a pea. Therefore The Question Itself is superfluous. I think Sartre was just doing this stuff to either One: make himself look smart for the ladies or Two: mess with everybody else's head for a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm...Ice cream cones, dipped in chocolate perfection and screaming for my mouth to consume them slowly and hungrily. Immoderate? Nah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The choice is ours to make."

    We think.

    Unfortunately, this is one of those things which I don't think can be proven. I KNOW I make my own choices, but how can I know for sure? I can't. It is possible I am simply programmed to think I have free will. And if that is the case, then I choose (I think) to believe that I choose. To think otherwise is depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But it is fun to read about theories which may say otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I apologize for earlier irrelevancies. I think we can dispose of Jean-Paul Sartre’s philosophy with a simpler elegance: a frontal attack on his notion of determinism. No such thing exists in Nature. Or so I was prepared to claim, till I skimmed through the Wikipedia article on Determinism. I was going to say that Sartre lived before Chaos Theory became well-known, and that Chaos Theory proves that the link between cause and effect will always be uncertain and make it impossible to predict things like the weather. But now I see that it is a lot more complicated, and that the opposite of Determinism is not Free Will but Indeterminism. Free Will is another animal altogether--a whale, I believe. No, that was Free Willy. I’m sorry, I’m going irrelevant again, not to say irreverent too.

    But the interesting thing about the excellent Wikipedia article on Determinism is its obstinate failure to mention Jean-Paul Sartre, indicating that the late French intellectual, so hip in his day, has nothing novel to tell us about free will or determinism. Oh, but now I have to check Wikipedia on Free Will.

    Right, done that. It mentions Sartre in a footnote to the sentence “Therefore, he [man] cannot have free will”--implying that Sartre supports this view. Which is a spoiler to your series, I’m afraid, Bryan. You can keep “Sartre’s Question--acts 4 & 5”. I know how it ends. I know how he answers the question and I’ve told the whole world.

    So when you wake up from under that blanket, I think you will hastily restore comments moderation, to prevent things getting so out of hand ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You crack me up Vincent, and you're most definitely misinterpreting that footnote, which goes on to state that such a belief would put a person in "Bad Faith" (the subject of the next installment not "Question Act Four". We're done with the Question.)

    I assure you that he believed in free will. (Here's another article) Being and Nothingness is ostensibly "A Phenomenological Essay on Ontology", and although Free Will is mentioned frequently, it is never explicitly declared as the driving theme of the work. It's even conceivable that someone could read Being and Nothingness cover to cover without realizing that Sartre is a proponent of Free Will (they'd have to be pretty dense though.) He had a larger agenda, and much as Freud took the psychological scheme he had developed for his dream theory and continually expanded it into something more general, Sartre applied his ideas about consciousness and nothingness to a wide variety of topics: imagination, time, sadomasochism, and more. I may have created the impression that his scope was narrower than it was. Bear in mind that this blog is subtitled "My Theory of Everything." My intention wasn't just to write a series of essays about Sartre, but to put forward my theory that he was constructing a secret argument for Free Will brick by brick in plain sight.

    There is, however, ample evidence for this. It may not be a completely obvious explanation, but it is by no mean a far-fetched one either. When you see how his ideas converge like chess pieces on the issue of free will, when you consider the passages where he spoke of the subject openly, when you consider quotes like "determinism is a perpetual game of excuses", then can't help but see how important and omnipresent the idea was in his work. Even when it's not mentioned it haunts every word.

    As to your question above as to why he wasted his time on this theory, I think you know that's a somewhat unfair and loaded question. Asking why a philosopher would waste his time on a philosophical issue is like asking why a preacher bothers preaching. Why not take his God and disappear into the wilderness and live off the locusts and wild honey? I suppose that's always an option.

    So I comes down to me. Why do I feel so passionately about Free Will? Why do I have such an urgent need to defend it?

    ....Well, my friend Deanne had beautiful post that I wanted to link to here, but I can't get in. I'll post it when I clear things up. There goes my dramatic momentum ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. On a totally serendipitous note, the comic strip "Zippy The Pinhead" mentions Sartre and Simone De Beauvoir today.

    Odd that should come up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I give up on Sartre. How about you Bryan? Why do you feel so passionately about Free Will? Why do you have such an urgent need to defend it. Those are the questions now demanding an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You give up on Sartre? When did you ever give it a chance to begin with? And why do your comments keep ending up in the spam pile?

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...and I'm working on getting an answer. Consider it a cliffhanger for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well at any rate I haven't given up on you, Bryan.

    But I might look at Zippy the Pinhead to see if it casts new light.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know Rev, I usually hate to admit that I don't get a joke, but I was totally mystified by that comic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zippy is deeply existential. And cosmically random. Causality and chaos cocooned in a comic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the time limit I set on unmoderated comments must have ran out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. People who believe in determinism are completely nuts. No offense to myself intended. I would say it semantic and nothing more, but that would be just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As a very wise man once said:

    "We have to believe in free will. We've got no choice."

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I were to make the non-philosophical argument, I would have to say that Free Will seems as plain a fact to me as the sky being blue. I'm reminded of the computer programmer that that Beach Bum fella' mentioned on your blog; you remember? The one who didn't believe that human beings have consciousness. It's like, you can construct a huge complicated house of logic to support an idea like that, but in the end it flies in the face of the obvious fact that we experience consciousness. Cogito Ergo Duh.

    Free Will may be a touch more subtle, I admit, but I really feel that we experience that control as well. We face the dilemmas first hand. I absolutely will not believe that that's some kind of delusion.

    And your "wise man" is plainly wrong. Clearly some people don't believe in Free Will. So clearly there is a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. And your "wise man" is plainly wrong. Clearly some people don't believe in Free Will. So clearly there is a choice.

    Despite popular belief, belief is not a choice. And, if there is free will, belief is still not a choice.

    Since, as you inadvertently proved, the question of free-will vs. determinism is little more than a semantic puzzle, I will concede that there is or is not a such thing as free-will depending on whether I am talking to a determinist or not. However, I cannot thing the term "choose to believe" is anything other than pure nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You all carry on as though Free Will and Determinism are opposites and mutually exclusive. Isn't it about time you tried to demonstrate this dubious point?

    The way I see it, Free will may exist, and (independently) Determinism also may exist. And neither proposition is provable. Nor does it matter.

    On the lines that a Unicorn may exist and at the same time a Cockatrice may turn you to stone if you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Choosing not to believe in Free Will certainly would make things easier. "Whatever happens happens for a reason." "It is all part of the plan."

    Determinism may be easier, but it seems cowardly and lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have analyzed the Pinhead strip about Sartre and de Beauvoir. (Though I suppose comment moderation has been reimposed to quash this part of the discusison.) The joke is that those two super-intelligent & super-sexy intellectuals were yet stupid enough to be taken in by Russian communist propaganda, enough to visit boring soap factories etc in Moscow etc for six weeks. I think. Allegedly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't even know what a cockatrice is.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Choosing not to believe in Free Will certainly would make things easier. "Whatever happens happens for a reason." "It is all part of the plan."

    Your faith that whatever happens (happens for a reason) makes no sense to me. First, a reason, implies either a cause or a reasoned. If you mean things are caused, determinists agree. If you mean there is a reasoned behind them, then you interject your faith into the discussion.


    Determinism may be easier,

    Determinism is not easier or harder. Our actions and our decisions are what they are with or without the label. Therefore it is exactly equally easy.

    but it seems cowardly and lazy. Ascribing laziness to a philosophy that is complex and not anything that a non-thinking person would ever devise is completely illogical. I can see how someone would describe faith as laziness, but describing determination as laziness is absurd.

    Good comment, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We should make free will mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Then be careful what you look at, Bryan!

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Vincent: I get the impression that you see my comment moderation as a sort of censorship. Actually, I've published every comment that has come my way so far. I'm not even sure why I bother with the moderation.

    As for the comic, that's better than explanation I could come up with.

    @Rev: Funny.

    @John: I let Doug handle that one, but I think you're probably taking his remarks too seriously. You have to know Doug. Not that he can't be serious on occasion....

    ReplyDelete
  30. When you are not sure why you do something, it's surely an indication that you are not acting out of free will. Comment moderation off again, please!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think I like getting the notification on my dashboard that says "X Comments need moderating", but I could turn off the moderation and see what happens (especially since you've appealed to my sense of free will.)

    ReplyDelete
  32. There. I turned comment moderation off except on posts older than 5 days. I fear that if I turn it off completely, then comments left on older posts will get lost in the shuffle.

    We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Bryan. Comment moderation inhibits conversation. While the moderator is asleep, the commenters don't have the opportunity to see latest comments and respond to them, so things can get out of order. I've never had comment moderation on mine in six years, nor word verification. Spammers were easy to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yes, I know you're right. It's kind of silly to keep it on, and I can see how it's inhibiting. Besides, there's always the option of deleting things after the fact, which has never been a problem anyway. Honestly though, I can't, for the life of me, imagine someone leaving a comment that would be absolutely necessary to delete. (Of course, now that I've said that, someone might take that as a challenge. Consider another can of worms liberated.)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I imagine if I knew something that was so outrageous as to make you instantly delete it, it would turn out to be the kind of thing I wouldn't write to begin with.

    What kind of universe are we living in here?

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Funny how we all inch closer and closer in becoming one singular conscious, driven by our opinions and being left still as individuals with a passion to convince the other that he or she might be wrong in order to keep that distance and individuality with a difference of opinion. Satre might have been on to something. Then again, I might be swayed by John's take on revolting against any common thread you have been trying to piece together with all this, which might be more of a distraction from the point than a counter point of his own.

    ReplyDelete
  38. So we argue to maintain the separate integrity of our egos? There could be some truth to that. I think the disagreements do originally arise out of genuine differences of opinion, but there does come a point where we're reluctant to give ground simply because we feel "This is your ground over there, and this is my ground over here, and never the two shall meet."

    ReplyDelete
  39. So you're saying that free will determines the content of John and Bryans argument and the words they use, but determinism demands that they argue in the first place?

    Fascinating. (He said, in his best Spock voice)

    ReplyDelete
  40. There is always an atypical cog to throw in the wheel of progress, good sirs. Always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. @JohhnyBoy: You called me "sir!" Awesome. Usually when I am called that it is preceded by "Do you know how fast you were driving."

    As for your comment, which took my comment outside and slapped it around a little, it needs to realize that sometimes I get this crazy idea that I have a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  42. @Doug,

    You definitely have a sense of humor and I definitely need to work on mine.

    Need an apprentice?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...