Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sartre's Question (Act Two)

At this point you may be wondering, "If it all comes down to our ability to question, then why this circuitous route through consciousness and nothingness?  Why even bother with Sartre to begin with?"  A fair question.  Well, as I said in the previous post, determinism builds its case entirely on the basis of causality.  So, any argument that wishes to challenge determinism must begin by establishing some human capacity to transcend causality.  Since free will is such a powerful intuition to us, we're almost tempted to argue this transcendence of the basis of free will itself.  It's tempting to push through out of frustration and declare, "But our actions obviously proceed from choices!"  However, since determinism refuses to grant credibility to this intuition and regards it as a delusion, then we're faced with a bootstrap problem where we're arguing free will on the basis of free will.  So, it becomes necessary to find some other foundation for this transcendence.  Sartre turned to the nature of consciousness itself, and began building from there.

Trying to argue a transcendence of causality is no easy task.  Causality is one of the most fundamental principles of science.  The idea of something being beyond or exempt from causality strikes some as a sort of voodoo or mysticism.  It strikes some as an appeal to the superstitious.  This is why the determinist tends to feel that they have science and logic on their side.  They reason that since causality has provided us with a better, more rational, explanation of the workings of nature, then it seems to follow that it would also provide us with a clearer understanding of how human beings work as well.  Their mistake, I believe, is in their assumption that causality is an unlimited commodity, a remedy for whatever ails you, applicable to any situation.

Consider a volcano.  Ages ago, when a volcano erupted, people took it as the explosive wrath of the gods.  Then science revealed to us the truth about tectonic plates, the molten rock in the Earth's core, and so on, and the superstitious explanation gave way to the causal explanation.  It was not the manifestation of a living being's wrath, but rather the blind forces of matter interacting with one another like the cogs and gears of a machine.  Or consider disease.  People once took it as punishment from a vengeful deity, displeased with their sinful existence.  Then science eventually discovered that it was caused by the spread of bacteria, and again the causal explanation dethroned the superstitious one.  Or finally consider the sun itself.  Long, long, ago people believed it was being driven across the sky by a divine charioteer.  Our ideas about the sun have undergone many transformations since then, but these days causality has expunged nearly every trace of the divine from our magnanimous fire in the sky.  It burns at the expense of its own nuclear power, rather than at the whim of any god.

My more quick witted readers may begin to see a common theme emerging here.  In all of these cases, prior to the causal explanation being given, these things were all ascribed to the will of a conscious being.  In other words, as explanations go, causality is an alternative to consciousness.  It stems the anthropomorphic tide.  It keeps us from projecting our own nature onto inanimate matter.  It grants us a means of understanding the mechanisms of non-conscious things.  This is how causality has gained its reputation as the exorcist of superstition.  The determinist has grossly confused the matter.  Rather than understanding that the superstition lies in ascribing a free will to things which don't possess it, the determinist has concluded that free will itself is a superstition.  The determinist says, in effect, "Well, we've outgrown the notion that earthquakes are controlled by something with a mind of it own, now we should outgrow the notion that a human body is controlled by something with a mind of its own."  You know...for science.

A compelling argument, I know.  Thank you.  But yet it's still not quite enough to completely establish free will, although I feel it does get determinism on the ropes at least.  Arguing for free will takes more than just undermining determinism.  It has to be established in own right.  And it's going to take more than just declaring that our ability to question transcends causality.  In fact, I suspect that some people may be largely unimpressed by that proposition.  If I had led with that, or I simply left this proposition from the last post to stand without further explanation, I would hardly consider it a compelling argument against determinism in its own right.  It requires further qualification.  It requires further explanation.  It needs to be tied in with Sartre's concepts of consciousness and nothingness, so that a complete picture might emerge.  This will be the goal of my next post.

(...to be continued.)                   

22 comments:

  1. This post is a momentary digression from Sartre's ideas, but I felt that as long as we were here I should take a second to address determinism's scientific pretensions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't orphan codes the manifestation of a machines "free will" aka Ghost in the Machine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you a philosophy prof. in a former life? Perhaps you should consider it-your explanations are some of the few I can actually understand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cyber_Steel: I had to look up "Orphan Code", as I hadn't heard of it. There was surprisingly little information about it. The most I could find said that it was term for leftover code from unused programs. I imagine that you had something different in mind that that; something like code spontaneously and mysteriously appearing out of no where. I suppose that I would 1.) need proof that that was actually happening and 2.) need to look further into it before giving an opinion.

    @Mouse: I think some people try to make it all sound a lot more complicated than it is. The bricks of the ivory tower are made from obscure jargon and convoluted logic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean it can sound more complicated than that? Holy snap!

    Hee hee hee!

    I suspect that determinism would only apply to inanimate objects and life forms with a small enough number of brain cells that they could not be termed to be sentient. ie ants, cockroaches, paramecium and certain lawyers and members of congress.

    But mankind's predilection towards animism (ascribing sentience to such things like Mother Earth and Father Time and This Rock Here, He's a good and steady rock and wants me to throw him at your head) also brings along the baggage of free will where it doesn't apply, muddling up the whole thing.

    We all do it. We talk to inanimate objects. Plead with them to work properly, even though we know they aren't listening and probably hate us anyway.

    It's pretty much the same thing as talking to God. Praying that the universe will work the way we wish it to when it's just an inanimate thing that will go the way it's supposed to despite our fervent wishes otherwise.

    Is any of this making sense or should I go get more coffee?

    I really need to put your blog at the end of my list rather than at the top so I can get a running start by the time I get here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I told you about the woman I work with who keeps saying that her parts "want" to burn. :)

    And yes, one could say that God is a wholesale way of ascribing free will to everything, which I suppose all depends on the questions: Is there a God? If so, what is God?

    ReplyDelete
  7. And hey, that reminds me, I have a theory about the transition from polytheism to monotheism and how it relates to scientific progress. I'll make a note to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It may be just my contrary nature, but I would like to see causality taken down a peg. Always walking around, acting better than everyone else.

    "One event leads to another beCAUSe of me."

    "The CAUSe of that action is self-evident."

    Stuck-up, that's what it is. If I were smart enough I'd sic quantum physics on its ass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, we should do something about that. We should organize a group and see if anyone else wants to get involved in our CAUSe...oh crap. There it is again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The determinist has grossly confused the matter. Rather than understanding that the superstition lies in ascribing a free will to things which don't possess it, the determinist has concluded that free will itself is a superstition.

    I consider this a false dichotomy, sir. I do not ascribe free will to anything and yet I am a ultimately a determinist, though I consider the term possibly nothing more than a semantic puzzle we created and feel the need to thus solve.

    Here are our real choices, as I see it:

    1.. We define free will as the power to do the things we most want, and so we are determined by our desires, which we cannot rule, and this is what free will is.

    2.. We define free will as the power to do what we most want, and since we cannot control what we most want, free will is an illusion (the classic determinist argument).

    3.. We do not define free will as the power to do what we want, but as something else entirely.

    4.. We define the puzzle as one born of semantics and there was no problem with free will before we started trying to fit it into boxes defined by arbitrary labels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @John: Basically your argument boils down to: We aren't free to do what we want, because we always do what we want. In other words, something isn't an act of free will as long as there's...will behind it. Yeah, I can see how you wouldn't agree with that.

    But wait...wait. I forgot the part where we don't choose what we want, because in wanting to want what we want we have to want it, therefore we can't choose what we want because that would involve wanting. And we wouldn't want that.

    So, if I'm faced with a decision to smoke or not to smoke, I don't really have a choice because I'm going to pick the one I want. For something to be a choice that means I have to pick it in a vacuum devoid of any reasons or inclinations. Now, we're talking Free Will!

    But yeah, I might make that same mistake if I conflated motivation with cause.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also:

    I consider this a false dichotomy, sir. I do not ascribe free will to anything...

    I never said that you did. I said that you dismiss the whole thing as a superstition. Call it an "error" or a "mistake" or whatever, but the fact is you don't believe in it, right? So where's the false dichotomy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. First I will address this, then your prior comment:

    I consider this a false dichotomy, sir. I do not ascribe free will to anything...

    I never said that you did. I said that you dismiss the whole thing as a superstition. Call it an "error" or a "mistake" or whatever, but the fact is you don't believe in it, right? So where's the false dichotomy?


    You are correct. I made the second choice, the one that said freewill is a "superstition," so I guess there is no false dichotomy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In other words, something isn't an act of free will as long as there's...will behind it.

    I would have said that something isn’t free so long as there is cause behind it.

    I forgot the part where we don't choose what we want, because in wanting to want what we want we have to want it, therefore we can't choose what we want because that would involve wanting. And we wouldn't want that.

    That sounds like the kind of satirical representation I would use against someone.

    So, if I'm faced with a decision to smoke or not to smoke, I don't really have a choice because I'm going to pick the one I want. For something to be a choice that means I have to pick it in a vacuum devoid of any reasons or inclinations. Now, we're talking Free Will!

    I think you are winning the rebuttal. This is my new position:

    Determinism is a puzzle we made up using semantics. The question is only puzzling because we invented a puzzle around it. We argue that people do not have “free” will because the thing that makes them choose is “caused.” Their desires rule; and they do not get to choose what to desire. That is something that comes to them automatically with no choosing on their part. I wake up. I am thirsty, I desire water. However, it is a semantic illusion, since the definition of free will is not to control what one wants. It is to follow ones desires. The ability to control what one wants would be another desire, nothing more.

    True, we cannot control what we want. We also cannot read minds. We also cannot secret silk as a spider does. We can, however, do what we want in many cases, which can otherwise be described as “free will.”

    Now, why is the discussion so important? I believe the most famous discussion of Determinism was advanced by Clarence Darrow in the trial of Leopold and Loeb. Can we consider someone morally responsible for a crime if they wanted to commit it, had the opportunity to commit it and were not afraid to commit it? Would we not also commit the crime, given the same circumstances? Which of these circumstances that climaxed in crime did the culprit create through free will? Why is he not also a victim?

    His choice was the exercise of his free will, just as ours would have been, were we in his place. The argument is that we would all make the same choice given the same circumstances, none of which are the product of free will.

    The argument is used to deny free will, which you have convinced me is a mistake. I still think the argument has merit, but not as a rebuttal to the concept of free will, which is a semantic puzzle (per today’s thinking). The fact that someone commits murder, in part while exercising free will, does not refute the concept of free will. It reinforces it.

    I suspect we will still be on separate pages on the free will issue overall, or at least on how we should apply the concept to real-world considerations, but I have crossed over to your book now, and sullied it with a murder case.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay. I'm going to go see what Nancy and Sluggo are up to and leave this one to the experts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @John: Well, I'm glad to see you've given this some honest consideration. My only comment would be that we shouldn't lump all of our wants and desires under the category of blind emotional impulses and physical urges. I believe that's what leads you to think that they are all beyond our control.

    Take your example of thirst. Say we're in a situation where the water is limited. There's a child that will die without water. On the one hand we crave the water. It is a powerful physical drive. On the other hand, we feel compassion toward the child. This is a powerful emotional drive. Now, you see, I don't believe it's just a matter of which drive is stronger than the other, a conflict in which I have no say and play no part. On the contrary, I believe that there is a level where my will is involved, and I make the choice which option I WANT to put my will behind. If I side with the child, then I still crave the water, but I don't WANT to surrender to that craving. If there wasn't choice, there wouldn't be struggle. The love for the child would trump the water and that would be the end of it. At any rate, it would be out of my hands, so there wouldn't be any sense in trying to control the situation. Again, I would be at the mercy of the stronger desire. But that's not what happens. I struggle, and the struggle is between my will and those desires.

    @Rev: You slipped in there. Had to re-copy. Enjoy your comics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was trying to follow the (discussion/argument/debate/ build-up to ten paces at sunrise) but I lost track at the word "conflate."

    This making up words all the time is distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Conflate: To bring together; meld or fuse.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can make up definitions too, Bryan. That doesn't make them real :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. From the Latin "conflare." Flare -to blow.

    Adding words to the dictionary to "prove" a word is read kind of flares, Bryan :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, now "conflare" I've never heard of. I'll give you that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...