Sunday, March 20, 2011

Star Trek Slices up the Milky Way

In the mid-nineties there were two spin-offs from the Star Trek the Next Generation series, Star Trek Deep Space Nine and Star Trek Voyager.  Both of these series were somewhat substandard to the series which had spawned them, but being a bit of a science fiction nerd, I watched them anyway.  If you watched them too, you'll recall that Deep Space Nine was about a space station near a worm hole that led to the Gamma quadrant.  The idea was that this was a passage to a distant section of the galaxy that was inaccessible otherwise.  It was really, really far away.  Well, a few years later, Voyager came along, and it involved a star ship stranded in the Delta quadrant, trying to get home.  Whoa, the Delta quadrant, that's one more Greek letter than gamma!  They must have been really, really, really, far away.  Right away this set the precedent for the dumbed-down nature of Voyager, as I'll demonstrate.

Pictured above is the Milky Way.  Well, it's a spiral galaxy, at least.  Anyway, if I've got my math and my Latin correct, then "quadrant" implies something that has been divided into four equal sections, like this:

You begin to see the problem?  This would put the Delta quadrant adjacent to the Alpha quadrant, rather than on the far side of the galaxy from it.  Still, I suppose they could have designated the sections as such:

But this seems a bit convoluted, as it involves zig-zagging around for no reason:

Instead of going in a nice clockwise fashion:

I guess it's possible though.  That being the case, I guess we could map out the Star Trek galaxy as such:

See, we've got everyone nice and separated and remote from each other.  But what about the path that the USS Voyager would take to get home?  I foresee two possibilities.  First, if they had any sense they would cut across the center of the galaxy:

This would have taken them near the super massive black hole at the center of the galaxy.  That would have made for some interesting story possibilities.  I'm not sure if the scientists knew about that yet.  At least they could have stopped on the planet that was in Star Trek V and asked, "Hey, why does God need a star ship?"

Or they could have taken a more circuitous route and passed through the Gamma or Beta quadrants, as pictured above.  Passing through the Gamma quadrant would have taken them through Dominion space, so they'd probably would have wanted to go the other way.  As far as we know, there's nothing in the Beta quadrant except worms and space dust.  It must be pretty boring since they never mention it.  Yet, if that's the way they went, you'd think that at some point in the series they would have crossed the border into one of these quadrants.  They could have at least given the viewers the sense that they were making some progress instead of just jerking around on the holodeck and picking up more Borg orphans.

At any rate, I think I'll shut up now while I can still claim to only be a "little bit" of a nerd.   

12 comments:

  1. And another one bites the dust. Die hard Star Trek Voyager fan perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Star Trek V - worst of the movies. Voyager sucked, but DS9 got to be decent after they got the Defiant.

    And Star Trek is lame. Who watches that dorky crap?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know about the Defiant, so....

    I'm just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to admit, my map is pretty accurate for not looking anything up. I just have it backwards from the Paramount one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, shoot, you cleverly caught me. Yes, I watch dorky Star Trek crap. And your map was pretty good. You even figured out that quadrant means one of four.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a Trekkie. I'm definitely more of a Star Wars girl.

    I hate to tell you this, Bryan, but this whole post has snatched you from "little bit" of a nerd to "Holy crap you should have your own character on Big Bang Theory."

    Yes. Yes, you should.

    And I will say again that there's nothing wrong with being a nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I prefer Stars Wars as well, actually. In fact, I'll have to add Star Wars to the list of things to talk about when I return here.

    Won't a role on The Big Bang Theory conflict with my schedule on Two & a Half Men?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You focused on yet another contradiction in the world of Star Trek. It is the most contradictory series of series ever produced (and one of the best).

    As for Deep Space Nine being inferior to its progenitors, I disagree. I liked the original series as a child, and then did not so much care for it as I got older, only because it seemed shallow. The next generation was far more profound in relation to modern thinking. In Chain of Command Picards perception of reality is altered based on the torture he endures. In Frame of Mind Riker again questions reality based on experience. In the The Inner Light Picard grows old living another man’s life. In the first season, Measure of a Man Data’s rights are explored. Does he have the right to not be disassembled? What is life? In Pre-emptive Strike Ro Laren of the Maquis struggles to know what is right when her loyalties to Star Fleet conflict with her loyalties to a former freedom fighter cell (reminds one of the Arab Israeli conflict, which probably inspired the writing of the episode). Star Trek: The Next Generation was much more profound.

    Then came Deep Space Nine. Themes started in the Next Generation flourished here. Religion was made to look stupid, then validated (and ultimately logically in places). I am an atheist, by the way, but I love religion. Things were not black and white. Garak blows up ships of innocent people to bring the Romulans into a war on the Federation side to avoid the demise of the Federation, and often, what is right are wrong is virtually impossible to determine for the viewer. The plots are very complicated (especially later on). I consider Deep Space Nine to be the best, by far, of the series. It is the only series (other than perhaps the original, which was too far removed from my time for me to appreciate), that actually outran the mores of its time. It was more socially and politically progressive than the social and political issues of its time. The Next Generation was second. Voyager was third. That is just my opinion, of course. You can agree or be wrong. It is strictly up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They have been airing reruns of The Next Generation on cable lately, and I caught a few the other day. It's nice to see that the show has aged well. The effects and the look of the show still look pretty good in my opinion. And as you mentioned, that had some really great episodes.

    As for Deep Space Nine, I thought it was a pretty good show. I never got into it as much as The Next Generation, but I definitely thought it was very strong on characterization and with on-going storylines, the latter being something that hadn't been done much in Star Trek before. If I think it's second to The Next Generation, then I at least think it's a very, very close second. And given the fine points you make, I think even that is up for debate. Voyager, on the hand, I think we can both agree was the worst of the three, although it had it's moments as well.

    As for the contradictions, there was a guy who wrote a series of "Nitpicker's Guides" (affectionately, of course). Very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly can't believe I never realized this.

    Also, don't forget about Enterprise. I would put it above both DS9 and Voyager, if only for the fact that its lead was Sam, from quantum leap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Enterprise is a better show than it gets credit for. Some people hate it just because of the theme song, which is just about the dumbest reason I've ever heard of to hate a show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually you know there is an official map right?
    Alpha in Lower Left, Beta in Lower Right, Gamma in Upper Left, Delta in Upper Right

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...