Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Predictive Dreaming

The other day I wrote a post about a shared dream experience I had when I was a kid.  In the comments for the post, the subject came up of another familiar yet mysterious type of dream, dreams of future events.  As I pointed out then, I've had a few minor brushes with this.  I've never had a dream which directly featured an event exactly as it was going to happen, but I have had a few times where a dream was oddly related to a subsequent event in a way that seems to go beyond simple coincidence.  Once I dreamt that I was trying to fix a gas fireplace in my bedroom, only to wake up and discover the next day that my gas furnace wasn't working.  Another time I dreamt that I was in a crumbling, abandoned house trying to retrieve one of my cats that had fallen through a hole in the floor, only the wake up and discover that this same cat had run away again (don't worry; he came back.)  I had a few other instances as well that don't come to mind at the moment.

Now, I think I might have a possible, and I stress the word possible, explanation for this.  If I can't explain how two people can share a dream, an imaginary event supposedly taking place solely in one of the dreamer's minds, then I can hardly hope to reach any solid conclusions regarding predictive dreaming.  However, I tend to be of the opinion that things have reasonable, scientific explanations, elusive though those explanations may sometimes be.  Just because I lack a reasonable explanation for shared dreaming, doesn't mean I'm completely ready to throw in the towel of logic and embrace the world of black magic and wizardly incantations quite yet.

To begin with, we need to visualize the conscious mind's relation to the sub-conscious mind.   First, imagine your memory is a cramped room crammed full of filing cabinets.  The cabinets are stuffed to over flowing with files.  They're spilling out of the drawers onto the floor.  They're piled up onto of the cabinets for lack of space, wedged in tight against the ceiling.  It's a complete pandemonium.  In the middle of the room is the little desk of the over-worked filing clerk.  He's surrounded by mountains of files on all sides.  They tower over him and barely provide room for him to fit in his own filing room.  This clerk is your conscious mind.  Although he is surrounded by these towering archives, he only has room on his little desk for three or four files at a time.  If he wants to look at a different file, he has to put one of the ones on his desk back and retrieve another.  His access to the files is limited to the finite space he has to work with.  The subconscious mind has no such limitations.  It has access to the entire archive at all times.  You might say it's the room and the cabinets themselves.  Except, in this case the files are no mere pieces of paper.  They are a living, breathing thing, organizing and cross-referencing themselves behind the clerk's back.  

Now, that's inside the mind.  When it comes to looking out and perceiving the world and processing new sensory data coming in, the subconscious again has the advantage.  Imagine you're out in the dark at night and you have a flashlight with you.  Your field of vision is limited to what can be illuminated in the narrow beam of the flashlight.  It's useful to light your way, but it hardly provides you with a complete picture of the world around you.  This flashlight is once again our friend the conscious mind.  We carry this flashlight with us constantly, even on the brightest, sunniest day.  It is the focus of our attention.  Like the desk of our file clerk, this focus is extremely limited, and the more intense the focus, the more limited it's range.  Returning to our flashlight analogy, notice how the beam intensifies and yet narrows at the same time as we approach an object.  This how our attention works.  

Our subconscious, on the other hand, is like a cat with night vision.  It sees everything, all the time.  Even the most insignificant piece of sensory information that crosses our path gets received, processed, and filed.  This leads us right back to our filing clerk.  Every minute of every day, new files arrive in the filing room.  Most of it comes from beyond the beam of our flashlight, so it wasn't noticed on the way in.  And the filing clerk, he's far too busy to sort through all this junk, so it just ends up getting stuffed into a cabinet.  That's when that behind the scenes, organic process of cross-referencing and automatic filing sets in without the clerk's knowledge.  

An interesting thing happens when we dream.  It's like the filing clerk has fallen asleep, dozing at his desk with his grey nose hairs fluttering as he snores, and we have an open run at the files.  We have a broader, more liberal access, but it's also a very haphazard and unstructured access because we don't have the clerk to sort through it all for us.  We just start tossing out files left and right, without rhyme or reason.  We put two files together because they both happen to be in red folders, or they both have pizza stains on them, or they both have three Q's on the first page.  In short, we make a complete mess.  In making this mess though, we're liable to stumble across connections that the file clerk might never have noticed.

An experiment was conducted once upon a time, where the subjects were shown composite pictures that featured dozens of different random elements.  They were shown these pictures very briefly, then they were asked to write down what elements they remembered from the pictures.  Then, after they had slept that night, they were asked to write down their dreams.  In almost all cases, their dreams featured elements from the composite picture that they had not written down.  In other words, they dreamt of elements that escaped the beam of the flashlight and the attention of the file clerk, but the information had been processed and stored nevertheless.  

This is where predictive dreaming comes in.  I think, perhaps, that somewhere in this incalculable pile of processed information lies clues to forth-coming events that the conscious mind has failed to pick up on.  If a dream forewarns of this event, and then it happens, the result seems miraculous.  But the only thing miraculous happening here is the conscious mind's failure to pay attention.  Consider this, let's say that you notice, consciously notice, that your hot water heater is leaking a tiny amount of water from it.  You take this as a sign of the water heater's impending failure, and when the tank finally does give out, you're hardly impressed by your psychic prognostication.  Simple logic warned you.  But what if you didn't consciously notice the leak?  You were in the basement.  The leak was in your field of vision, but the beam of your flashlight never honed in on it.  The information still gets processed, and as the experiment above shows, it's even more likely to show up in a dream precisely because it wasn't consciously noticed.  The results could certainly leave anyone mystified and thinking that they had had a genuine premonition.

This is not to say that your subconscious mind is a secret Maytag repairman, diagnosing bad furnaces and worn-out water heaters.  In the case of my furnace dream, it would have been enough for my subconscious to pick up on the fact that something was subtly off or different in the operation of the appliance.  In the case of my cat, he probably slipped out the door without my consciously taking note of it, but I did see him briefly zip by.  He is pretty damn fast, after all.  A fleeting look on a friend's face that should have warned you they weren't quite telling you the truth if you had noticed it, a neighbor's door standing open when it should have been closed passing through your peripheral field of vision as you drive by, a subtle and imperceptible difference in the amount of pressure you need to apply to your brakes, these are the things that premonitions are made of.  Your subconscious might not know what to make of these things.  In fact, your subconscious doesn't make anything out of anything at all.  That kind of deduction is a job for your conscious mind.  Your subconscious just tags, processes, and stores the information.  It does conduct the organic cross-referencing process I mentioned, but it's up to the dreaming mind to stumble across these loose connections.

So that's my two cents on the subject, at least.  As I started out by saying, my own experience with predictive dreaming is limited to dreams of startling coincidence and association.  Maybe my idea breaks down when considering dreams where someone actually sees and experience the event exactly as it's going to happen.  I don't know.  This is just one humble blogger's attempt to tackle the problem.  My resources are limited, and my references are sketchy.  I know I can sleep soundly on my explanation.  Good night.  Sweet dreams.                            

10 comments:

  1. Oooooh, then I'm getting ready to throw you into a mass of scientific hypotheses! I kinda came to the same conclusion about the so called "precog" dreams, but there is one that is still niggling in the back of my brain and defies explanation. At least one that I can come up with.

    Episode One: The neighbors little boy.

    I dreamed the he was playing in the backyard and fell and hit his head on a concrete thingie that was just outside the entry to their crawlspace. In the dream he got twelve stitches.

    Well, nothing happened.

    Then I dreamed it again.

    Then again.

    Third time was the charm. The VERY next day, little Chad fell and hit his head on the concrete thingy, his Mom yelled for me, freaking out, and he ended up with twelve stitches in his head.

    Episode Two - My Aunt's Car Accident.

    Not as perfect, simply three individual dreams of her being involved in a car accident with her ancient Cadillac. No one was hurt, but the day after the third dream, wha-la. Totalled the Caddie.

    Episode Three - My Dad.

    Bleh. Suffice it to say, three dreams of him being electrocuted and he was.

    There have been other instances since then, some that happened and some that didn't, but suffice it to say that whenever I have an awful dream for the third time, I'm a mess.

    Just figured I'd share that since you started it! Besides it'll give you something to think about when you're bored now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, without having all the information, it's impossible to make a clear evaluation. Of course, you don't have all the information either. That's the whole point. As far as the neighbor kid, I would suggest that you observed some reckless behavior that didn't quite register, but I'd be at a loss to explain how you knew the exact number of stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have (I don't think this has anything to do with your post...maybe...)Anyway, I have this reaccuring dream where I start out chewing gum. There is no real emergency happening, that I can remember, but, by the time I wake up, I am left recalling how the gum stuck to my teeth, my gums, and the roof of my mouth.

    Frustrated, I end up pulling the gum until it rips out my teeth, the sound of the nerves snapping rings my ear, I can feel my own gums tear and rip from my mouth as I yank and pull harder to remove the gum from my mouth. I'm told by most people who try to interpret the dream that I am under a lot of stress, which makes sense.

    The worse part is that I know this in my dream now, but only after I have already started to chew it. I try to find new ways to get it out form my mouth without creating my own Saw movie, and wake up with the same fucked up thoughts fading into oblivion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's alright. Half of your comments usually have nothing to with the post, but they're welcome anyway :)

    I've had a re-occuring dream where I have a bunch of bread stuck in my throat and I can't breathe, and all I can do is relax and try to pull out the wad of bread (sometime mozzarella cheese) a little piece at a time. I'm not sure what it means. I think I probably have sleep apnea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so funny to me that you are such a logical left brain thinker, yet the imagination you put into your writing style is all right brain hemisphere work.

    You know my take on dreams as I have shared this on my own blog and in your comments.

    Your flash light thinking is not the way I see the world as I feel I am a beacon of light and on a higher level than the flash light metaphor, seeing the big picture or more importantly feeling the bigger picture...Sometimes we put to much emphasis on what we see rather than our feeling perception.

    We are absorbing greater information than what the logical mind can perceive. If you ever read my *God Moment* post there is no denying for me that there is more going on than we remember! And only through diligent right brain work with our feelings and the unseen things of this world will we unlock the door to a better world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, I'm the opposite. My attention focuses in like a laser when I'm concentrating on something. I probably would be the last person to see that gorilla. In my every day life, this has the effect of making me seem forgetful and absent-minded.

    Multitasking can be difficult. My job is as a material handler in plastic factory. I stock the machines with raw material and dye; I calibrate the settings; I clean and dump the grinders and recycle the reground material; I stock the finished products in the warehouse. Basically, I keep things running smoothly. Typically, this involves juggling about 15 different things at once. Somehow I manage to keep it all straight...usually.

    Your right brain/left brain observation is very true. I think I even mentioned in an earlier post that the abstract and the visual tend to run together in my brain. Even an equation will make me imagine that I'm standing in a dusty college library or my friend's kitchen or I'll think of it hanging on a cubicle wall in an office building I used to guard. Part of that is probably because I'm left handed. Part of it comes from the fact that I feel the need to ground my flights of fantasy in logical sense.

    I'm sure that sounds restrictive, but I see it more as a collaboration. It's hard to explain. If you've seen the dream stories on my other blog, you might have some idea of what I'm talking about. Dreams are like the right brain run completely wild. By bringing the left brain to bear on them, I can try to shape them into something meaningful, while being ever so careful not to shatter their fragile, quirky beauty. For the right brain, this is like trying to guide a hyper-active child from finger painting on the walls to honing and maturing its talent so that it can paint the mural on the ceiling of the Sistine chapel (you know what that's like, right? :) ) For the left brain, it's like trying to draw it out of the narrow rut it tends to get stuck in and getting it to broaden its horizons. It's like two friends, one crazy and one stuffy. Their friendship exposes them both to a perspective they wouldn't otherwise see.

    I definitely appreciate your own viewpoint. It's always nice to see someone else who's willing to take that leap of faith right into the water. I'm getting down to the water too; I just take a longer, more considered approach. I'm looking at it, wondering how cold it is, dipping a toe in, trying to see if there's anything lurking at the bottom, worrying about a million things when I probably shouldn't be. I admire someone's who's willing to jump right in. Life is always more interesting and exciting that way. But don't worry. In the end, we both end up in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. As far as the "friendship" analogy above goes, if my other blog represents the "finger-painting to Sistine Chapel" idea, then this blog is definitely all about the other side, getting the left brain out of its rut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is an interesting theory. I keep a journal for dreams that I think are going to end up actually happening - they feel different from my regular dreams. THEN later when they actually do happen I go in and put the date of when it happened and the actual details of what occured beside it for validation. Sometimes it is years later though so not all of mine fit your theory. Like meeting a certain friend, meeting the trainer at the gym, seeing the tornado outside my office while driving home from work, sitting in a beach chair on a white sand beach in the caribean right after my grandma's death and a few other things.

    The journal has helped - I might start journaling things that may have triggered the dream too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Freud's theory on the matter was that people just thought they remembered having the predictive dream, that's their minds were in fact playing tricks on them. We should dig him up and show him your journal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would dig him up and show him my blog and the proof of me knowing my daughter died. When she came to me in my dream I knew. That type of dream for me isn't the normal type of dream where the mind is sorting through the days events in abstract ways. It's more like I start out with the abstract dreaming and someone switches the channel. Or maybe better put is I move into a different realm of consciousness that it is difficult to write how clearly they are. You just wake up with that feeling of knowing that you witnessed something. I just know!

    I have mentioned that space between rem and waking that is where these type of dreams comes from and I am shown events and being taught things in there. If I shared some of it you would think I was nuts but the funny thing is I have been having a reoccurring dream for years.

    In the dream a presence comes and is teaching me events in the sky about the stars and planet alignments. I see things moving as he points ( I sense a male because of conditioning I was told once, it is neither male nor female it's pure energy and light and I don't hear I feel what is being said) Anyway I have been told something that I have never shared with anyone.

    A week or so ago my husband was freaked out and told me about a dream he had...He is an atheist who doesn't believe in anything but what he can see. Although when I told him the baby had died and it was a girl and we found out it was true he was shaken.

    Back to the original story. His dream was the event I was told is going to happen. I sat him down and told him about my dreams and what I was told and because of things I have said for years and what he has been witness to with me he was a bit freaked out. I thought it was odd that he picked up on the energy I have been picking up for years. We shall see if it comes true.

    There is so much more going on than we know. I think your balance or collaboration is great but taking more trips into the right side will do you some good. When you are in your right side brain you write some pretty great stuff and it is there you can create and slip into these higher states. Just saying...You are right on the edge. I say take a dip...the worst that can happen is you get out if you don't like it. You may just find yourself floating downstream and loving the scenery!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...