Wednesday, December 15, 2010

About a Dream

For those of you who don't know, I write another blog called The Encyclopedia of Counted Sheep.  It's somewhere between a dream journal, and a collection of short stories.  Basically, I use ideas that I get from my dreams as a creative starting point for short works of fiction, and I build from there; sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.  It all depends.  Check it out, if you want.  Apparently my subconscious has some wild theories if its own.  

I bring this up, not just as a shameless attempt at cross-promotion, but because today's post is about a dream I once had when I was a kid.  I'm writing about it here because there's more to the story than just the dream itself, as you'll see.  So, it's kind of like I'm guest blogging on my own blog.  It feels kind of weird, but that might have something to do with the painkillers that the dentist has me on.  If I was over on the other blog, I guess I would call this post "Footprints in the Snow", but I'm not, so I won't.  You might walk away from this story thinking I'm a little out of my mind, but I guess I'll have to take that risk.  Anyhow, without further pointless rambling, I'll turn the floor over to my guest blogger, myself, who also just happens to be me: 

I had this dream when I was about 12 years old.  There was this blonde girl that I liked at school.  In the dream, she was my girlfriend and we were walking through the halls of the school, holding hands, which is probably as exciting as my imagination got at that age.  We passed everyone I knew in the halls, and I could tell from the looks on their faces that they were suitably impressed.  I had a big beaming smile on my face.  Everything was wonderful.  I couldn't have been happier...

...and then I woke up.

Except...I hadn't really woken up.  I was still dreaming.  I just dreamt that I woke up.  Nevertheless, I was quite disappointed to learn that my little stroll through the school hall with the blonde girl hadn't been real.  I refused to accept it.  I got out of bed and ran out of the house.  It was a sunny day outside; one of those days in late winter, early spring, where the snow had melted back to little patches on the grass.  I went to the spot where the school had been in my dream.  There was nothing but an open field there now.  I stared at it, stunned and defeated, shaking my head.  But then I noticed something.  In a big patch of snow in the middle of the field, I saw two sets of footprints crossing the length of it.  It was real.  We had walked hand in hand on this very spot.  The school had faded away, but the traces of our feet remained in the snow.

I was so excited, that I had to tell someone.  I ran back towards home, and I went to the next door neighbor's house where this girl who I was friends with lived.  I knocked at the door, and when she answered, I asked her to come outside so that I could show her something.  She had the same melting patches of snow in her backyard that were everywhere else.  I pointed out a big tree that was next to one of the snow patches, and I told her that we had to sit down beside it and go to sleep.  She looked at me a little strangely, but she agreed.  Now, I'll remind you that this was all still a dream at this point, but inside this dream we sat down under the tree and "fell asleep" in a matter of seconds and we dreamt that we were running across the snow patch.  When we reached the edge of it, I yelled "WAKE UP!", and there we were under the tree again.  We got to our feet, and I showed her the footprints in the snow that we had made in our dream.  Then, in a voice that somehow didn't quite seem to be my own, I turned to her and said, "See, dreams are real."

The moment I said that, everything changed.  We weren't in the backyard anymore.  We were down at the town square, standing under the clock tower on the courthouse.  It was just getting dark out.  I saw the blonde girl in the shadows of some trees across the park.  I tried to call out to her, but it suddenly seemed like everything was falling apart and spinning out of control.  I realized that this was all just another dream, and I could feel it slipping away.  The clock on the courthouse began to spin faster and faster, and it kept chiming the hour over and over until I finally woke up for real, and realized that it was my alarm going off.

I thought about this dream all day at school.  I couldn't get it out of my head.  It had felt more real than any dream I had ever had.  I passed the day in a kind of dazed preoccupation.  After school I ran into the neighbor girl.  I was itching to tell somebody about this weird dream that I had had.  I started telling her about it, but when I got to the part where I had knocked on her door, she had the strangest look on her face.  She told me that she had had the exact same dream, only it had been from her own perspective.  She told me about how I had come to the door.  She told me about falling asleep under the tree.  She told me about my strange voice when I said, "See, dreams are real."  She told me about the clock tower, and how she had turned around and I was gone.  She knew everything.

I wasn't sure what to make of this.  Neither was she.  We tried for months after that to repeat the experience.  Every time we saw each other, we asked about about the dreams the other had had, but they were never the same.  Eventually we gave up hope on the whole thing. Clearly, it was a one time thing, never to be repeated. 

I have no explanation to offer for this, no theories.  I leave it to you all to figure it out.  Was it just the power of suggestion?  Did I just imagine the whole thing?  Was there some sort of psychic phenomenon at work?  Am I still dreaming?  Maybe you just think I'm completely full of it, and I just made it all up.  I can certainly understand that viewpoint, and you're free to think that, but I promise you that it's completely true.  I don't understand it at all, but it did happen.  So...what do you think?

12 comments:

  1. WAKE UP!


    Dreams are curious little things that can sometimes result in a loved one looking at you squarely and giving you a "tsk, tsk" as though you had just peed in the middle of the living room floor and not realized it.

    Personally, I think as a writer, blogger, self-induced ego trip liaison, unpublished prophet of story-telling, once we have fallen into a dream state, what we were doing on paper or on-screen continues in true movie like fashion.

    I would say your dream "leaked" from your head running down the line connecting your can to her can, projected your dream, which you were talking in your sleep about, into her subconscious mind and changed the course of whatever she was dreaming into that which you were dreaming. But you did not mention this archaic communication device, thus I just totally made that whole thing up, which kind of reels in the point made about being a writer of sorts.

    I can try to sleep on this tonight, if you have anything more to add and we'll reconvene here in the morrow to discuss the outcome, if you like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. If it really is tomorrow. [cue Twilight Zone theme]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me think of "Inception." Dreams within dreams.

    I've shared dreams with my sisters a few times. I think that when we sleep we're all connected on the same wavelength and sometimes we cross paths and share things because we're genetically part of each other. The Twinkies say they share dreams all the time, but being twins they are genetically the same so I suppose it's more common for them.

    I've never shared a dream with anyone outside of my sisters though. That's pretty interesting. I wonder if maybe while anybody is sleeping they have the ability to connect with other people. Like, when we dream about people we don't know, are we actually sharing a dream with some real person also dreaming of us?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've wondered if it's even happened before without my knowing. It was just an accident that I found out about it that time.

    Also, there was a period after my Dad died that I was dreaming about him almost every day. Of course, I had to wonder if I was ever making any real contact with him.

    ...and yes, it makes me think of Inception now, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is an aspect of dreams that I feel interact with the universe in a way that our conscious minds cant. I believe in dualism of the mind, that the mind is both physical and something else (soul etc). I have had dreams of future events that I honestly cant explain. I have seen places in dreams that end up being very important to me.

    Dreams to me just undoubtedly prove the power of the mind. I want someone give me a logical explanation into why some people perceive events before they occur. I don't know how this experience went about, but if you truly did not give her the information first it goes to show some things are beyond our comprehension. Our minds are complex things. From a Buddhist perspective minds are continuous and extend into others minds.

    Basically I am really awed by your experience. I really want to know how this occurred. And it just makes me wonder why more research isn't put into dreams. I NEED THE ANSWER! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had a dream that directly foretold the future, but I have had dreams that were oddly related to something that happened afterward. For instance, I once dreamed that I was trying to get this gas fireplace to work. The next day I started having problems with my gas furnace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK. The result of our experiment was not very uplifting. I last remember looking at the clock around 11:30ish central time. In the dream, I recall trying to wire the can I had set up next to the window, before going to sleep. Next thing I remember was it being 1:30 in the morning and my daughter crying to join the wife and I in our bed.

    After this, a lot of tossing and turning. Cricks in the neck and twist in the lower spine as a result of my daughter assuming control of the bed for the remainder of the night. It might have been the can though, I get terrible service through AT&T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dreamt that my teeth were a castle wall and there were steps going up and down on the teeth on either side of the one that was pulled. I don't think that was the same dream at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think that Steven King would have some fun with that dream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you have followed my blog from months ago you will know this is right up my alley. I am a lucid dreamer and have done dream work for years now. Six years ago this June I had a dream while I was pregnant that the baby kept falling out. I kept saying you aren't done yet please go back in. Suddenly the baby turned into a little girl and she said she wanted to say good bye to me, she had to go. I woke my husband up and said the baby just died and it was a girl. I found out two days later the baby did die and I was carrying a girl. I have so many stories on dreams I could write a book.

    I have a reoccurring dream that someone is outside with me teaching me about the stars and how the planets align. I have had this for years only in the last 6 months or so this presence is showing me something is coming to us from the sky. I see planets shifting and something coming. He said a mother-ship is coming. I have never told any one this until recently (days ago) not even my husband.

    Two days ago when my husband came home from work he said "we need to talk" not a great thing to hear as I thought "oh shit" He said "I had the strangest dream last night. A light was shining into my window and I got up to see what it was, there was a small space ship at my window. I ran to wake you up and the small ship flew over the house and in your window there was a huge light shining into your room. The small ship flew inside the mother-ship that was at your window. It was freaking huge and scared the shit out of me" he said.

    I started laughing and said "honey you need to sit down and shared with him the dreams I have been having. I told him it has been going on for years only now he, the presence in my dream, is telling me a mother-ship is coming."

    He was a bit freaked out but after many incidents that I have shared with him through dreams have come true all he said was "what ever you do if the ship come don't get on it I need you here, I know you you will be the first to hop on, so don't." I had to crack up laughing and just said after 10 years we are finally syncing up mentally! WHOOP, WHOOP!

    If you like dream stories I can send you links to the posts that are about dreams. I can also tell you is you do dream work there is a space between rem sleep and waking you can get into the is pure consciousness and that is where the real stuff is!

    Chat soon, Deanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the coincidence you describe is quite plausible but there is just one detail I find mildly implausible.

    From my own experience there is one thing you can never do in a dream: return to the same place and find it the same. For example, when I dream of dropping family members off somewhere in town, and then go to park the car, I can never find them again. I can't find the street. The whole town has changed. It seems impossible to retrace one's steps in a dream. Yet paradoxically, one can remember a dream landscape from a previous dream, indeed from a whole series of previous dreams. It's a landscape corresponding to nothing in reality, and likely to be topologically impossible, like some of Escher's lithographs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well yes, the space in dreams never seems to be stable. You walk through a door and you try to return through it and you find a ferris wheel there instead. As far as the dream above, I wasn't really returning to where the school was. In fact, if you think about it, it makes no sense. Why would there be an open field where my school had been after I woke up? As far as all the other running around in the dream, it wasn't like I was really covering all these distances on foot. It only sounds that way in the telling of the dream. It's more like I was staring at the field, then thinking about visiting my neighbor, then *boom* I was at the house. So, this "returning to places" was more part of the dream narrative than an actual experience of the dream space. Even so, the world of the dream did and still does seem remarkably stable as dreams go, and it was something I noticed even at the time. I think this contributed to how vivid the dream felt. Something very strange happened. Does this make any sense?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...