Friday, December 17, 2010

The Matrix: A Study of Internet Identities

For about 11 years now, I have gone by the name "nuclearheadache" on the internet.  I have used the name for websites, forums, email, and of course, as the title of this blog.  I came up with the name on the spot, without giving it much thought.  I was creating an account, I was prompted to choose a username, and I had a really, really bad headache at the time.  There wasn't much more to it than that.  Since then, though, the name has become a persona, a projection of my personality, or at least a projection of those aspects of my personality that I chose to share on the internet.  The name suggests something that a name like, say, hellokittysuperfan116 would not.  

In real life I am Bryan White.  I'm a 35 year old factory worker.  I'm married.  I have a daughter.  I'm left handed, and I have grey eyes.  My identity in the real world is at the mercy of countless things which are beyond my control, not the least of which is my name, picked for me at birth and not a matter I had the slightest input in.  My hair has decided to abandon me for the most part, also without consulting me at all.  This undeniably affects my image in the world, again, in ways that are beyond my control.  Although nuclearheadache  is not my real name, and although the persona it encapsulates is an artificial construction by virtue of the fact that I can select and choose what constitutes that persona, in some ways these things are more real precisely because my choice was involved.   A username is a creative expression.  A given name is an outfit someone else dressed you in.   A virtual avatar is an artistic choice.  Your face in a random accident of genetics.  

Yet, there is honesty in a face.  A lifetime of choices, good and bad are written there.  A face displays your virtues and your faults.  There is a paradox here.  On the one hand, our internet identities are more genuine expressions of ourselves because they are more deliberately chosen and they are less subject to factors  beyond our control.  On the other hand, our real life identities are more genuine because we can not hide our faults behind an artificial construction.  You might say that a  person who knows us in real life is much more likely to see us at our worst because they are more  liable to see us under pressure as we deal with real problems and we struggle in the real world.  But yet, there are times when a person uses the anonymity of the internet to reveal hidden sides of themselves that they usually keep hidden in normal society.

If you're reading this, that means you're on the internet just like I am.  We all have a foot in either of these two worlds, and we all possess these dual identities, and so the question becomes:  Which one of these worlds is more real?  Which one has more of our true selves invested in it?  Who really know us better; the people we interact with online, or the people we interact with in life?  And in turn, which of these people are more real to us?  The consideration of these questions is one of the major themes of the movie The Matrix

Years ago, I used to have this friend that was very suspicious of the internet, and of computers in general.  I'm sure you've all known someone like this at some point.  I was sitting around with him one night and we were talking and he said that some day aliens might land here and they would find the streets deserted, the buildings empty, and everything rotting and rusting away.  There would just be silent desolation everywhere.  Eventually, these aliens would find their way to our homes, where they would find each and everyone of us in some back room plugged into a virtual world of easy and infinite possibilities which we had long since chosen over the limiting confines of the real world.  I wasn't sure that I agreed with his pessimistic outlook, but as an aspiring writer, I appreciated that there were some intriguing possibilities for fiction there, if someone could figure out how to make a story out of the idea.  So when I heard about The Matrix, my first reaction was a smile that someone else had had the same idea.  

On its surface, The Matrix seems to be a simple story of people being freed from an artificial, virtual world so that they can live in the real world.  This would appear to be the primary struggle of the characters in the film.  The virtual world appears to represent a form of bondage, and the fight is for the freedom of reality.  A straightforward reading of the narrative suggests this unmistakably.  But if you look a little closer and dig a little deeper, you find it's a little more complicated.  Beneath the obvious surface, you find that the real world and the online world have been switched.  Each one represents the other in the reality of the film.  This is a mirror image of our world, through the looking glass and flipped around backwards.   

The first and biggest clue to this switch is in the names.  In the film's virtual world Keanu Reeves' character is named "Thomas A. Anderson", while in the film's real world he is known as "Neo."  However, the name Neo is clearly recognizable as a type of internet username, as are the names of the other characters, "Morpheus", "Trinity", "Tank", and so on.  A big point is even made, during the climax of the story, of Reeves embracing the username over the Anderson name, which is clearly recognizable as a type of real name in our world.  The point being that "Anderson" is a kind of slave name that belongs to his former life of captivity. 

On the surface of the story, this captivity involves being held prisoner by the artificiality of the Matrix.  But the juxtaposition of the name-types reveals a deeper level.  The captivity that the Anderson name represents is the captivity of the circumstances of the material world.  It's the captivity of his job, the suit and tie he has to wear, the neighbor's garbage that Smith mentions.  It is the captivity to the mundane realities of life.  The Neo identity, as Smith again points out, is another life, lived in computers.  It is Anderson's online persona.  As Neo, he has a much grander purpose and a far less restricted existence.  It is  breaking these chains of reality's restrictions that defines Neo and ultimately leads him to the realization of his true self. 

Since this scenario suggests that the Matrix represents our physical reality, this might seem as though it is contradicted by the superhuman feats of agility and bullet-time virtuosity displayed by the characters within the Matrix.  However, the dividing line in the symbolism between the real and online worlds is not simply between the Matrix and outside the Matrix.   The actual point of demarcation between real and online is the moment when Neo wakes up from the Matrix.  By following Neo's path to becoming the "one", as opposed to the zero he apparently was in his former life, The Matrix explores the duality between the limiting realities of real life and the possibilities of the online life.  From the soul-crushing dullness of corporate America Neo is initiated into a realm of instant downloads, customizable options, and fantasy role-playing.

That is the real trick of The Matrix.  Although it plays like a dire warning and an indictment of the virtual world, it is actually an endorsement of it and exploration of its place in modern life.  In the question of where our true selves lie, it falls firmly on the side of the persona that we create by choice.  The society of the real world, it argues, is a system that keeps us under control with its agents checking our every step.  The internet provides our minds with an opportunity to break free and become the person we were actually meant to be.  You may agree or disagree with this, but the hidden secret of the film remains.  The Matrix is the real world.                        

14 comments:

  1. Is the pain medicine blue or red in color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting perspective you have there! In fact, that is a thorough interpretation of The Matrix I still had not heard.

    The way I interpreted this movie was a bit more philosophical. I perceived it more as how we all live, in a way, superficial and meaningless lives. And how, when Neo is offered the blue or red pill he is offered the way to being enlightened, like in real life wisdom would be. Of course, what type of wisdom would be debatable to fulfill each person's needs.

    I do not recall all the specifics of the movie, but I do remember seeing a deep philosophical approach to it. Just like V for Vendetta. Most people when they see this movie see a motion picture trying to make a political statement, when actually there is a whole lot more to it. There is a revealing phrase exposed by the main character at one point in the movie.

    "Writer's use lies to tell the truth"

    Yes I know, truth may be debatable as well, but these two movies offer a bit of it, speaking in philosophical terms, that say a lot of the human condition and our purpose on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are definitely different possible interpretations. The most obvious would be that it's a take on the Eastern mythological ideas of the reality illusion and mind over matter for the computer age. The interpretation I offer here is just one level and just one of the themes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nonetheless, it's a great one! Truly revealing and elaborate. I had never seen our behavior on the Internet and real life in the ways you expressed through you're interpretation of the movie.

    I think thats what happens when something grand is created. It has so many accurate, yet different interpretations. Just like when you are standing in front of a masterpiece from one of the best artists of our time. Everyone can see it differently, but in a way that fulfills us all specifically.

    Robert Henri said it well, "The man who has honesty, integrity, the love of inquiry, the desire to see beyond, is ready to appreciate good art. He needs no one to give him an art education; he is already qualified. He needs but to see pictures with his active mind, look into them for the things that belong to him, and he will find soon enough in himself an art connoisseur and an art lover of the first order."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so I made myself a deal. Never. Ever. Come here when I'm tired. You're definitely a morning read! A first thing in the morning read. I tried to get through this last night and was commiserating with your virtual name in about five minutes! Such deep thoughts are to be processed (by me at least) with cup of coffee in hand, and a full night of z's under my belt, or erm, pajama pants.

    The Matrix was an odd movie. I guess I'm like a kid in that regard. Show me candy and I forget about everything else. Eye candy is the same. I was so captivated by all the special effects it took me watching it the second time before I started saying "Heeeeeeey"

    I'm seein it though. The internet has made some things either much easier or much more difficult and I haven't decided which yet. I met my best friend online and we had this discussion once. She said I only knew her online. I said I knew her better than probably anyone in the world b.e.c.a.u.s.e. I knew her online. She thought about it but I'm not sure she agreed until she started dating her current boyfriend. Now she sees it. There are STILL things she keeps from him that she'll discuss with me at length. Okay, so it's her boyfriend and that stands to reason, but then she got to thinking about her friends in New York. Her brothers and sisters. Even her parents. There are things I know about her that none of them know.

    The internet gives you the freedom to kinda be anything you want to be. The bad side of this of course is that so many people meet other people that they THINK they love, trusting that the person has been honest with them. Of course, to many there's the question. "Why be honest when this person will never meet me?" So they make up these fantastical alternate realities. I've heard too many stories of this happening. My aunt knows a woman who left her husband, sold everything she had, drove across country to meet a man and alas, he never showed. Wonder why? Probably because he wasn't what he'd presented himself to be IF he was even a HE at all.

    I'm finding one thing really really interesting. The number of women who pose as men online. Now that's a psychological revelation just waiting to happen. Women tired of the "good ol' boy" thing and wanting a taste of role reversal maybe? Bitter women wanting to have the power to do what men have done to them, but to other women? Maybe. And maybe there are men who do the same thing, but I haven't really heard about that as much.

    The possibilities are endless, and where there's possibility there's always the person or people who will jump at it.

    It's a sure thing though, that when life is at it's worst, and there's a world where bills aren't overdue, where your husband or wife isn't an 800 pound noose around your neck, where you can be skinny and tall and perfect, where you can do whatever you want.....well hell, what was the question again? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the anonymous nature of the internet makes some people more comfortable opening up, while other people takes it as an excuse to make up outrageous lies about themselves. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference.

    Of course, I know some people who make up outrageous lies about themselves straight to my face without the protective buffer of a broadband connection. It's just a little easier to tell that they're full of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone quoted someone not long ago and I can't remember who it was. The quote was "Look a man in the eye and he will lie to you every time. Give him a mask and he will tell you the whole truth." The internet is a huge flexible mask we can all wear as we wish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bryan,
    This was a great read. I agree the internet is a great platform for us to release as I have been doing since February. It's my open diary to the world but the truth is I would tell it with or with out the mask so to speak as I was ready to step out from behind the curtain in all aspects of my life. Have you ever read the book "The divine matrix" by Gregg Bradden? It's a good read!
    Light and love,
    Deanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you know my real name now, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Finally. I feel like a shit for not knowing it sooner. You are a great writer. I am now digging around for The Matix movie to watch it again....lol I just have to try not to get sucked in to the computer again as it can consume me. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the compliment on my writing. Some days I really feel like I've got it together. At other times it feels like my repertoire consists of using the same 9 words over and over, and every sentence sounds like unnecessarily convoluted Yoda-speak. You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes my post have had the same theme running through many of them as I want to drill the point in. There are a lot of people out there who see them selves as lost and less than and it rips at my soul when I read some of these blogs. I figure if I share my horrors and show that I have found peace maybe it will help others.

    By the way your posts are definitely not Yoda-speak. But you have your unique style which is great.

    I just write to let it out. My first post was supposed to be a travel blog and boy it it take and unexpected turn. I just went with it and started to let it all out. Man did I break out in hives writing that stuff, sick too!

    I have received so many letters from around the world that my outing my self so to speak has help many so for that I am grateful even it I don't know where to put the comma or everything in my brain works like a run on sentence.

    Anyway, good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...