Friday, January 28, 2011

Generation Pacman

Recently, after reading some things online, I was disappointed to learn that the Atari 2600 version of Pacman isn't held in very high regard.  In fact, it seems that most of my peers think it downright sucked and that it's universally considered a disaster in the world of video games.  Apparently everyone who was anyone hated the game and in one collective voice the whole wide world joined hands and told Atari that it was a huge failure.  Well, this certainly would have been news to my brother and I back in 1982.  We loved the game.  We actually bought our first Atari specifically so that we could play that game.  We were tired of pumping quarters into the arcade version at the local ice cream shop and we wanted something that we could play whenever we wanted.  We spent hours upon hours playing it.  My brother once played one game that lasted almost an entire day.  This was before games had a pause feature, so the only way he could get a break to go to the bathroom was to hand over the joystick to me with the quixotic stipulation that he would kill me if I died too many times.  I wouldn't hesitate to say that I have fonder memories of the Atari version than of the actual arcade version.

But was it as good as the arcade version?  Of course not.  No Atari adaptations of popular arcade games were ever as good as their coin-operated counterparts.  You accepted that without giving it a second thought.  You just figured that was the price you paid to be able to play the game at home.  It was the natural order of things.  If we had turned on a game and it had looked as good as the arcade version, we wouldn't have known what to do.  Our brains would probably have splattered all over the walls.  If I look back at it now, it's through adult eyes and 29 years of advancing video game technology.  Yes, Pacman only faces one way.  Yes, the maze layout is monotonous and constrictive.  Yes, the trapdoor exits at the top and bottom of the screen are fairly useless.  Yes, the ghosts flicker and they're all the same color.  The thing is though, my brother and I didn't care about any of that at the time.  We were playing Pacman, in our rooms.  Wow!

Atari 2600 Version
This isn't the first time I've been treated to the sight of the internet unzipping its fly and pissing all over my childhood memories.  I'm turning 35 in a little over a week and my generation seems to hold a certain ascendant position in Internet culture at the moment.  We're just old enough to wax nostalgic, and yet still young enough to know what "WTF" and "BRB" stand for.  As a result, the internet is inundated with all kinds of "hip" pop culture references from my childhood.  Sometimes this can be kind of cool.  It can be neat to find out that something that I thought only I and maybe a handful of kids in my neighborhood knew about was actually a big deal with other kids out there.  We weren't all connected like this back then, of course, so sometimes the internet feels like this big class reunion to me.

Arcade Version
But then you have these people.  They like to speak with such...authority.  They say this sucked or this was awesome, and to anyone who was cool it was as obvious as the blue sky.  Well, I'm here to tell you, it wasn't like that.  It's never like that.  I grew up with these people.  A lot of the stuff that they so aggressively claim was "cool", frankly only kids that ate paste were into.  A lot of the stuff that they tell you "sucked", only the dopey eyed fat kid with the fudge-sickle mustache was the one complaining about it.  I never thought someone was cool because of the toys they played with, or the cartoons they watched.  Only kids who were little obnoxious jerks in training would have thought like that.  I would never even have conceived of it.  I was too busy playing in my room.

I'm not saying I have a problem with someone who didn't like the Atari version of Pacman or anything else that I liked as a kid.  I have a problem with people who presume to speak on my behalf, and make blanket claims about what "everybody" thought about this thing or the other.  If you didn't like it, you didn't like it.  There was no codified standard that everyone fell in line with.  Kids argued endlessly about these things then, just like they still do now.  People who hop online and declare that  everybody knew such and such was cool are people who never got over these old, stupid arguments and now they're living out some delusional fantasy where they get the last word in.

Besides, as far as this Pacman thing is concerned, I think there's a good deal of hindsight involved in these critiques.  Unlike these self-proclaimed pop culture authorities, I don't have the slightest idea what other kids thought of the game, and I was only six or seven at the time, so I can't provide you with detailed sales figures.  I just know that I can't imagine being quite so jaded back then to have been so nitpicky about the game.  It's hard to believe that these kids were standing on the very threshold of home video game technology moaning about flickering ghosts.  I have to figure that either they're embarrassed about the wide-eyed children they once were, or someone had a far, far more privileged childhood than I did.

23 comments:

  1. I think this behavior is handed down from their parents. I have some pretty strong opinions about certain things, but I don't generally think that I'm the authority on them all, at least I won't verbalize the fact that I think I'm the authority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought when I read this was, "Wow. 1982? That was six years before I was even born!" My next thought was, "What the heck is an Atari 2600?" It took me a moment to think about it, but then I remembered that it sounded familiar because I watched an episode of Pawn Stars and a man sold them an Atari and a bunch of games and they played with joysticks.

    I have personally never been a Pac Man fan. My sisters and I liked to play Bomberman on our N-64 when we were kids. There was a reason there were four controllers and a four way battle field. It was made for the four of us to enjoy together. That, to us, was awesome. But the guys I hung out with in high school insisted that the N-64 was a joke and that Bomberman had to be the worst game they put on it, except for maybe the 007 Golden Eye game. But I loved it then, and I STILL love it. Yes, I still like to play Bomberman even though I've beat the whole game like a million times.

    I think that some people want to sound all important and knowing, so they just say everybody agrees with them to cement their importance in the minds of others. Generally, I dislike those people. And I think they are stupid. And that's what the comment section is hanging out on these blogs and websites. So you can tell them that you disagree and this is why. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @George: Yes, I have pretty strong opinions too, but they're my opinions and I don't claim to speak for anyone else. I'm glad you guys see where I was going with this. I wasn't sure if I got my point across clearly.

    @Chanel: The N64 has a bad reputation through-out the internet as well. Another good example. Mostly its bad reputation is just because it had the misfortune of being caught between the cartridge consoles and the newer CD consoles. Again, there's a lot of hindsight involved here. I never had an N64, but I definitely remember that people were impressed with it at the time. Now they put it down from a comfortable distance of 15 years. And you're absolutely right. People like to claim that everyone agrees with them to "cement their importance". That's the part I can't stand. It's like, say whatever you want buddy, just leave me out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In New Orleans in the pre-Katrina years, there was this mom and pop pizza parlor that used to have the old arcade table-style PacMan. My friends and I used to LOVE playing it.
    My kids find me strange when I get excited about aracde games. When it's House of the Dead or the old Simpson's arcade game (the one where Bart smacks everyone with his skateboard), my kids are like "Ok. Mom's alright.", but when it comes to PacMan they think I may as well put on my Flinestone's outfit and crawl into a cave. I recently downloaded PacMan Champions on the XBox360. Apparently, my little rugrats find the graphics to be more acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, these kids today will never appreciate what it was like when video games were a new thing. Wow, are we having that conversation? I feel old now. Where's my cane?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently purchased that TV GUIDE 101 games to play on your television for my redneck step-dad, which is not the name of either the product or my step-dad, but lets continue. It had every Pac<Man game you could ask for, except Ms. Pac<man which leaves me to wonder if it has a different licencing than the others? Anyway, there was Dig-Dug, Galaxan, Space Invaders and Pole Position. I play a lot, perhaps too much, madden and anything destructive for Xbox360, but could not, for the life of me, get behond the second stage of Pac<man. Damn thing was far harder than I remember.

    Anyway, I packed the blasted thing up and gifted the impossible thing to the Hillbilly who thought it was the best gift he could get from someone for Christmas. um...The end?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dig-Dug was the other game they had at the ice cream joint.

    These old arcade games were definitely a different beast than the games they make now. No story, limited lives, no continues. The arcade versions were always a bit more difficult than the home versions because they wanted kids to keep pumping the quarters in. Any nostalgia versions they make now come in varying degrees of difficulty from boringly easy to stab-your-eyes-out-with-a-fork hard. Sounds like yours came with a fork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had Dig-Dug for the NES and old school Donkey Kong. MEMORIES...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had an Atari and also LOVED to play it for hours. My mom gave it away not all that long ago and I was kinda bummed she hadn't asked me first! :)

    To those who say Atari games suck... it seems to me that a very high percentage of those games still exist and continue to evolve. Can you say that about the first game for PS or Nintendo?

    Rhyme Me a Smile

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excite Bike. LOVED THAT GAME! Metroid, Zelda, and playstation gave me the joy of those live action games with Mark Hammil (Luke Skywalker) Wing Commander. And I am posting incognito for I do not feel like myself today...and because I do not want to log in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scott, I presume. You certainly sound like yourself. Metroid was an awesome game. Definitely high on my list.

    @Asha: There was something really satisfying about puffing those guys up until they exploded, wasn't there? I'm sure it's made us both psychopaths. I don't know if they ever made a version for the 2600. If they did, I never owned it for some reason.

    @Rachel: Although many of the old Atari games were quite simple, many of them had original and unique concepts that could be expanded on. I liked a lot of the old NES games, and a lot of them are still fun today and had unique ideas, but there were some that just recycled the same platform jumping/side scrolling/fighting concept. Remove a few graphics and minor details and you really aren't left with much. Nowadays, everything seems to come out of the same first person shooter/sci-fi cut scene mold. I still like some of the new games, but sometimes it definitely feels like the range of creativity has narrowed even though the graphics have gotten far better and the games have gotten more complex.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My parents bought an Atari 5200 in 84, and I'm pretty sure those ghosts were colored. We got a 2600 a few years later, but all I remember playing was Joust and Jungle Hunt.

    I think I would still play Jungle Hunt today. I have a PS3, but there are just too many buttons on the controller. I like things too be simple. Extremely simple.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From what I understand the 5200 had better graphics, more like the arcade, but the controllers were weird and awkward and broke easy. If I have my math right though, it was still twice as good as the 2600 :)

    "Extremely simple." Yes...Yes, I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be, that’s for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let's see... I was about 20 then and yes, still playing video games. Even today I still have a SNES, a Playstation and a Wii. And you are all making me feel extremely old, thank you. I have found that people who use sweeping statements using the word "everybody" or "nobody" generally have very little self esteem of their own and are just trying to garner a little attention by seeming to be part of a crowd which they are not. Ignore them. They are small people with small lives.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chanel made me feel old when she didn't know what a 2600 even was.

    I've probably been guilty of using "everyone" is a casual sort of way, meaning most people. Obviously, you understand that we're talking about something, somehow more than that, something's that got a sense of smugness and intimidation about it. It's like "Shut up, EVERYBODY knows such and such was..." You know, as if that proves something even if it were true.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I left a blog award for you on my blog because EVERYBODY should read nuclearheadache. PERIOD!
    http://www.ashafullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well I didn't mean to make you feel old.

    And I played Dig Dug! I know what that one is! It's the little man that digs in the dirt and the little toys attack him and he has to sting them with a hose and then pump them full of air! It's strangely addicting. And very fun. HOURS of enjoyment. Does that make you feel less old?

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Asha: Got the award. Thanks. It's hanging to the right there, and linked in to your site. And yes, I agree, everyone should read this blog.

    @Chanel: I'm about to turn 35. The only thing that would make feel less old at this point is a full head of hair and a time machine. Thanks for trying, though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I was a kid the closest thing to computer games was etch-a-sketch, magic eight ball and veiwmaster. Atari sounds pretty cool to me.

    At least you don't have pictures of yourself from the seventies in leisure suits, man how did we ever think those silly things were cool. Oh yeah, it was because Lee Majors wore them on the Six Million Dollar Man.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember the Six Million Dollar Man. Of course, with the economy and inflation who knows what it would take to have the "technology" to rebuild him today. Bernie Madoff probably paid more than 6 million dollars for a gold letter opener.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I must have read this before, but it's well worth it again. I have a memory I'll always associate with Pacman. I was working in Kuala Lumpur at the time and my girlfriend had a nephew aged 10 or 12 who was incarcerated in the local hospital with leukaemia. An intelligent kid, spoke quite good English, and forever positive in outlook. We bought him a handheld game toy, yellow plastic, had just one game on it - Pacman. He loved it so much especially as he became weaker in body. the nurses were sweet to him, and perhaps on him, but his mother was hundreds of miles away. I would like to say Pacman was a lifesaver, but he died a few months later. When they realized they couldn't get him better, they got him on a plane so that he could die with his family at home.

    My real point though is a realization of what a good and varied set of essays you have here, and to recommend putting them in an e-book,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...