Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sartre's Anguish

I remember the first time someone told me what would happen if you were outside on a cold winter day and you stuck your tongue to a metal post; how you were likely to find yourself securely fixed until the paramedics arrived.  This idea held a grip on my imagination for days, weeks, even months after that.  I was afraid that I would find myself in a situation where I would just go ahead and...stick my tongue to a metal post.  It wasn't that I wanted to do it.  I wasn't particularly curious about what would happen, and I had little cause to doubt what I'd been told.  And I could hardly imagine a situation where I would need to stick my tongue to a metal post.  In fact, I really had no conceivable reason what-so-ever for sticking my tongue to a post, but despite all that, I was still afraid that somehow I was just going to go ahead and do it anyway.  I suspect that many of you at one time or another have had a similar experience.  Sartre calls this feeling "anguish."

Anguish, as Sartre uses the term, is a special breed of fear: fear before one's self.  A soldier going off to war may understandably be afraid of the enemy, of battle, of leaving home, and many other things, but there's another sense in which he may fear the potential of his own actions.  He may be afraid that he won't measure up in his duties as a soldier.  He may fear that he'll run when he should have taken cover, or that he'll take cover when he should have ran.  He may spend long, sleepless, hours possessed by the thought of inexplicably sticking his head up out of a hole at the wrong moment to see what's going on and catching enemy sniper fire right between the eyes.  More even than the fear of being killed, it's the fear of doing something stupid and getting himself killed that seizes the soldier's heart with such a powerful rush of anguish that it takes his breath away.  So he tries to be a soldier, as a thing in a uniform equipped with a weapon, a machine designed exclusively for war.  If he must die, he wants to die as a soldier, not through his failure to fulfill the responsibility of that role.

Of course, we don't need to invoke the special circumstances of war to find anguish.  There is, perhaps, no more common or appropriate illustration of our experience of anguish, than our morbid fascination with suicide.  I'm sure that most of us probably have no pressing wish to kill ourselves or serious plans of doing so, but yet the thought does flutter in now and then, doesn't it?  We think of the opportunities that might present themselves, the rigged noose and the chair, the gun laid in our lap.  We sense all too well that we are capable of pushing through all those layers of resistance, all those reasons not to do it, and with a quick flip of the foot or twitch of the finger we could end our lives....Snap! Just like that.  It's enough to turn your blood cold.  It's the feeling of standing on the edge of a cliff and knowing that you could just say the hell with it and hurl yourself over the edge and nothing would stop you.

It's not a all a question of mortality.  It crops up in a number of little ways.  I remember a while back when I debating some of the finer points of free will and determinism with Mr. John Myste, I used the example of how I had to continually force myself to get up for work night after night, how I had to perpetually sustain my role as a responsible family man.  I told him that I could throw it all away at a moment's notice.  I could just get in my car and drive off into the dark, never to be seen from again.  Even writing those words gave me a flash of anguish, a dizzy spin of vertigo from the cliff's edge.  It's not even that it's a particularly terrible prospect.  It's just that facing the fact that you could change your life so radically at the snap of your fingers is exhilarating and yet horrifying at the same time.

Naturally, a determinist would insist that these are baseless fears, a odd glitch in our psychological programming.  They would say that this agonizing over suicide, for instance, is a pointless waste of time.  They would say that no one has ever been seized by such a reckless impulse of self-destruction; no one has ever pulled a trigger because they were overcome by their own willpower.  But yet, people do kill themselves, do they not?  Who's to say that all of those people had better reasons for doing it than you or I do?  Where do you draw the line?  Where does the determinist stand over the body lying on the floor with the smoking gun and say, "causality led to this"?  I submit that not only would I disagree that no one has ever pulled the trigger out of sheer willpower, I'll go as far as to say that it always goes down just the way we fear.  It's rarely a clear cut case of a person just wanting to kill themselves.  There's struggle, conflict.  There's nearly always some reasons to live.  But the person pushes past all that, says the hell with it, and does it anyway.

This all makes anguish sound like a negative thing, but it's actually a necessary part of our existence.  It serves much the same purpose psychologically, that physical pain serves biologically.  It is the constant pin prick, keeping us on our toes, reminding us of our responsibility for our actions.  It drives the soldier to train, to learn, to sustain his role as a soldier.  The sobering awareness that he is not merely a soldier, as a thing, that he has within him the capacity to fail to live up to the demands of being a soldier, prods him and drives him on.  To try to defuse that feeling, as determinism does, is dangerous and deadly.  A soldier without anguish, a soldier who has fallen into bad faith, has sealed his fate.

And suppose I'm wrong, and Sartre's wrong, and free will is all just a big delusion.  Well, then what difference does it make?  Whatever's going to happen is going to happen, and I have no more control over the fact that I believe in free will than I do over my own eye color.  Ironically, there's always, behind a determinist's argument, an implicit subtext that they came by their position by choice.  They keep telling you why they're a determinist and why you should be a determinist, even though from their position "why" shouldn't matter a bit.  They are a determinist as the western wind blows and nothing more.  So, if I'm wrong, it makes no difference, and I can't even help being wrong anyway.  But if I'm right, and we really are free, then believing in free will makes all the difference in the world.  It means that you assume ownership of this life, and all the possibilities open to it.

For now, we end our adventures in Sartre's theory of free will out along its most paradoxical outskirts: will beyond reason, choice beyond control.  We face the disconnection between the person we dream ourselves to be and the consciousness which is free and unbound by the limitations of that dream.  We face anguish with that nauseating drop in the pit of our stomach as well fall into nothingness, free almost even from ourselves, overwhelmed by that freedom.  Sartre said that we are doomed to be free.  Well, so be it.  Let's make the most of it.             

11 comments:

  1. I’m definitely with you in the main thrust of this; though Sartre as ever arouses my xenophobic prejudices. For he seems to take a well-known phenomenon usually expressed as “Death before Dishonour” and make it into something more ignoble. Perhaps it is ignoble! But that’s a subjective judgement.

    It reminds me of the paradox revealed in a statistical analysis of intervention by strangers in a street-crime, or when someone collapses in the street (perhaps drunk, perhaps ill).

    The fewer the witnesses on the scene, the greater the likelihood of one of them intervening. On a crowded street, someone could die bleeding from stab wounds and everyone would carefully step over him. (Something like this happened in Tokyo this year.) But if the thing came to light in a poorly-lit alley, the next person would come to the victim’s aid, or challenge the villain.

    The first explanation that springs to mind is that when there are many people, one thinks that someone else braver and more public-spirited will deal with it. Since nobody else has yet done this so far, one thinks one would be a fool to buck the trend.

    But the analysts discovered something curious, by in-depth questioning. A stranger was likely to risk his own life by intervening in a lonely spot, with no chance of backup. But he wasn't likely to risk being judged or ridiculed by other strangers if he intervened in front of a crowd.

    Thus we conclude that the good opinion of our fellows may be more important than life itself.

    And when we consider motives for suicide, we frequently discover that it follows the destruction or imagined destruction of one’s cherished self-image.

    Example: it was recently reported in the British press that a senior police officer had been found guilty of a fraud or other misdemeanour. A few hours after his superior had warned him to be prepared for widespread media coverage, the officer shot his wife, children and then himself.

    His anguish was that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've experienced this way too many times before. I keep telling myself don't miss a beat, don't miss a beat but in the end I missed a beat and didn't get a perfect score for the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Vincent: Hmmm...I don't know if I would agree that "Death before dishonor" is a completely synonymous concept. They may play some part in certain cases, but this anguish is a much broader phenomenon. Take the person standing on the edge of cliff. Anguish isn't about them being faced with a choice to kill themselves or live with some disgrace. Anguish is about the fact that this choice may be based on absolutely nothing at all. The person may have just won the lottery and married the person of their dreams, but none of that would stop the person from senselessly jumping off the cliff if they chose to. Anguish is a dizzy realization of this, which may be nothing more than a fleeting intuition or a half-apprehended thought as we ourselves are standing at the edge.

    Furthermore (and this I've kind of added myself), I'm saying that this odd, fleeting intuition which strikes us at first glance as a passing whim to kill ourselves, is actually useful as a defense mechanism. It reminds us to be careful as we play along the edge.

    @Cyber: I think I know what you're talking about. That moment where you mess up because you're too tense and you're trying too hard. You slip up on the simple thing because your nerves are on edge. Yeah, that happens quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES I KNOW HE IS DEAD THAT MAKES IT FUNNIER.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Sartyre"?

    For the record, I would have read your comment even if it wasn't in all-caps. But you went the extra mile. Nicely played sir...ma'am...whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must be doing something wrong if I can't inspire hate mail like that. Maybe I should aspire to a higher institution? (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous did come up with some pretty highbrow stuff there, I've gotta admit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just like inmates. They are ten feet tall and covered with hair behind a big steel door. Since they think they are safe, they get brave and mouthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, anyone who can't stand by their own words isn't worth losing too much sleep over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once the door opens their sack shrivels up quick and they get real apologetic.

    You Anon is probably some ten year old kid with serious self esteem issues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It certainly forestalled any more serious discussion of the post. But maybe that's a good thing ;D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...