Friday, December 16, 2011

The Invention of Smiling

Yesterday my wife asked me a question that I had been wondering about myself for quite some time: Why didn't people smile in old pictures?  Since I've never liked to be stumped by one of my wife's random questions, I took a stab at pronouncing the word "daguerreotype" and speculated that the long exposure times that were originally involved in taking a photograph necessitated keeping your face still and relatively expressionless.  I further speculated that this tradition probably persisted for a long time after taking a photograph became a much quicker affair.  A quick Google search of the matter shows that I've scored a direct hit with this answer.  Either that, or someone else came up with the same dumb idea that I did.  Nevertheless, the real question now becomes: When was the trend reversed?  When did people start smiling in old photographs?

Well, my exhaustive and notoriously thorough research led me to a man by the name of Dr. Karl Bruegger.  Dr. Bruegger was a Bavarian dentist who had immigrated to America and set up a private dental practice in the late 19th century.  One day an eager young photographer was admiring the photographs which lined the walls of Dr. Bruegger's office, portraits of the dentist's patients proudly displaying their healthy white teeth.  What struck the young photographer, however, was not the quality of the dental work, but rather the blissful expression that the teeth-baring pose lent to the subject's faces.

When the photographer asked about the oddly charming expression in the portraits, Dr. Bruegger was obligingly eager to explain his technique for obtaining the unique pose.  He began by drilling a small but precise hole in the subject's skull.  Then he would proceed to poke around in the hole with some of his surgical instruments, removing a few excess cubic inches of brain tissue.  The subject would then lapse into a state of stupefaction.  Their mouths would hang loose, showing their teeth, and the blissful expression that the photographer had observed in the photographs would settle over their faces.  It was a quite simple procedure, as the dentist kindly demonstrated for the photographer on the next patient that arrived that afternoon.

It became known as the Bruegger Technique, and it soon became popular in photo studios through-out the world.  World leaders, famous celebrities, and rich debutantes all lined up to have their "Bruegger Holes" drilled.  After undergoing the procedure, one high society lady was quoted as saying, "uhhhh..."  The procedure was a rousing success, but it seems that the word "smile" did not appear until 1914 in a book by Samuel Westabahn called Plasticity and the Human Form.  Westabahn proposed an alternative method to the Bruegger Technique, which had been showing a distinct loss of effectiveness over time.  Drilling new Bruegger holes wasn't helping.  One man had had sixteen such holes drilled and his face hung slack and loose and he was quite unresponsive.  The "Westabahn Method" dispensed with the barbaric drilling of holes in the subject's skulls.  Instead, Westabahn administered a heavy dose of arsenic to his subjects.  After a fairly uncooperative struggle, the subject's heart and breathing would eventually stop and they would settle into a state which Westabahn called "the period of plasticity."  At the this point, the features could be manipulated into the proper expression which would finally solidify once rigor mortis set in.  A special liquid solution dropped in each eye would given them the proper sparkle and the whole procedure would "achieve the desired pose known as the 'smile.'"  However, it's not clear where Westabahn first heard this term.

Eventually, sometime during the 1920's, photographers learned that the same expression could be prompted simply by asking their subjects to say "cheese" before take the photo, and the rest is history...more or less.            

12 comments:

  1. (Editorial Note: All research and fact-checking for the preceding post was conducted at my beach front house in Flagstaff, Arizona.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your impeccable research. I fact-checked the first paragraph, short of quizzing your wife behind your back, which a gentleman would never do.

    I refer you to an old post on my blog which has an indoor photo from 1867 of Queen Victoria’s eldest son & family. I cannot guess how long the shutter had to be kept open. It was before the invention of flash. It might have been a minute or more. If you expand the photo to its maximum resolution, you see that the children’s eyes are blurry, probably from repeated blinking, and the middle-sized one is held in a vice-like grip by the Prince of Wales.

    I’m a little surprised that you make no reference to trepanning or trephining, which confers a number of health benefits beyond improving the entire world by smiling.

    You might also have included a reference to "home trepanning kit" - all you need to drill holes in your own skull: "No skill required. Skull not included".

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first paragraph is probably the only one that's even remotely checkable.

    I hadn't heard of "trepanning", but I have seen that Bosch painting around quite a bit. I always wondered what was going on there.

    As for the Victorians, it looks kind of like the kids have ghostly white cataracts over their eyes. I've seen that in a few other old pictures. Now that makes sense as well.

    So I guess this turned out to be a learning experience after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that's where the old expression "Well, Bruegger me!" came from. And it's later variations. I'd always thought those old pictures looked like they just propped up some dead people in odd poses. They were obviously later versions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See. You learn something new every day. Luckily this day isn't over yet, so there might still be a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read somewhere that in some cultures if you go around smiling all the time you are considered an idiot. Now it means you work in customer service. Pretty much the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was confused for a second. I was thinking about customer service people on the phone, and how no one would see them smiling. Yeah, I'm sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work in customer service, Doug. I am not an idiot.

    At least I don't think I am...

    Anyway, did I understand this correctly: the actually poisoned people to death to get a good picture of them smiling????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. Yes they did. Don't look it up or anything; just take my word for it. Oh, and don't forget to bring it up in conversation at parties. With such a stunning and versatile display of knowledge you'll overcome that customer service stigma in no time ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Chanel: No, you aren't. I had a bad day of smiling, cheerful, incompetent idiots and I should not have made that a blanket condemnation. After all, I have worked in customer service a time or two, and I am only sort of an idiot :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL. This is hilarious. Lots of people still require pretty heavy sedation to produce a true smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow nice i like this post ... yours post is so interesting....
    tooth extracting forceps

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...