Monday, January 17, 2011

The Power of a Word

I want to thank everyone for their comments on the last post.  I want to thank you all for your thoughtful and intelligent consideration of what I was saying, and for your own insightful input.  Mostly, I want to thank you all for not jumping ship on me.  I know how touchy a subject race can be.  I woke up today and realized that it was Martin Luther King jr. Day, and I thought, whoops.  Perhaps my timing wasn't the best, but I had no intention of coinciding with the holiday.  Quite honestly, I had forgotten all about it.  I meant no offense by what I said, and I sincerely hope none was taken.  I hope you understand; I couldn't very well argue for a word's right to remain in Huck Finn if I wasn't willing to write the word myself.  If I danced around it and only made oblique references to it, that would have undermined the point of the post, as well as compromised my own integrity.  However, I want to be perfectly clear that I absolutely do not advocate casually throwing racial epithets around.  I just don't believe a dead writer's words should be tampered with, just to make us all more comfortable with our own history.  I could only hope that no one tampers with my own words long after I'm gone, assuming anyone even remembers that I was alive.

I believe that if there's any hope of us all getting along and putting these painful chapters of the past behind us, then we all need to learn to calm down, relax, and speak openly about these things.  I think that acting like someone has violated some sort of restraining order if they get within fifty feet of the subject of race is counter-productive.  We need to put our cards on the table.  We need to embrace the awkwardness and push our way through, rather than running away.  I don't believe in sugar-coated social tranquillizers that put us all to sleep and allow us to go on living in denial.  I believe in the smoke alarm that wakes us up so that we can put out the fire before it's too late.  That alarm might be painful and disturbing to the ears, but it's far better than letting the house burn to the ground.  

People ofter say, "We'll look back on this and laugh someday."  I truly hope that day comes on the subject of race.  I hope the day will come when the lexicon of hatred will hold nothing but blank pages, and the words that sting and hurt today will finally become demystified and robbed of their power.  I hope the day will come where we'll be able to sit down and talk comfortably about the people we all once were, but are no longer. That day may be a long way off, but it'll never come until the tension in the air is diffused.  If we go on hiding everything behind painful smiles and we walk on egg-shells around each other, if we jump to conclusions and fly into anger at each other at the mere mention of a word, then we'll never be able to reveal the warmth of our true smiles and welcome each other in as part of the larger family of the human race.

Am I defending the word?  No.  I'm saying that the word gains power if you lock it away in a vault.  It becomes the "forbidden Word" with a capital "n", and it grows to mystical proportions.  It draws attention to itself in that void of silence where you censor it.  It becomes the undiagnosed cancer festering beneath the skin.  It becomes almost sacred and revered by virtue of being forbidden.  I say let it go.  Let them scream it from the rooftops until their voice is gone.  Don't give them the satisfaction.  Who cares?  It's just sad, angry men cursing the world.  They hold no real power over you.  They hold no power over any of us, beyond the power we give them.  Don't give them the power.  Let the vault stand empty and leave them with no weapons in their arsenal.  I hope we can forgive and be forgiven and all move on together.  There's a universe of incredible possibilities out there if we can set aside our petty differences between each other.

11 comments:

  1. This was extremely well said. You have brought light to a topic not many dare to address and you have nailed the core of it's existence! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to get something off my chest. It's incredible when you think about how terrified people are of being labeled a racist if they say the slightest wrong thing. The irony is how much that preoccupation makes people of different races uncomfortable around each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot Martin Luther King Jr. Day. (That name is really a mouthful.) But regardless, I don't think your post was ill timed. In fact, I think it was appropriate. What better time to talk about the problems of racism and what it really means than around the time that we celebrate someone who strove to see the end of racism in a modern, tolerant society and was killed for speaking of that dream?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you think I jumped ship..LOL You have to look at everything in perspective of the whole. In your mind and my mind we can see the word for what it is in your post but in the big picture most people don't stop and see the bigger picture of the observers perspective, how it is being received?

    This isn't just about racism because of a word it is about people's ability to see past their own ignorance. Like you buddy Atypical displayed in his post with the video we have an entire culture of ignorance and until we get past that we are going to be dealing with this subject for awhile.

    Let's just say what ever you put your focus on you give power to. So pretending it never existed either is not the answer. The answer is irradiating ignorance and taking my husbands attitude..."Who gives a shit, I know who I am" He is the King of not caring and it works!

    As always a great post and I can smell the smoke from here...your brain is always churning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that exactly what I'm saying. I'm saying, don't give the people who use the word to hurt the satisfaction of thinking its important. Make them feel like the insignificant little schoolyard pricks that they are and just say, "Who gives a shit?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, obviously there's more than a generous supply of genuine idiots who are than half the problem with it comes to racial issues in our society. Believe me, I see these people every day. I'm talking to the rest of us, people with good intentions but who are so hung-up on their own uncomfortableness with the subject that we all end up being uncomfortable with each other, which is a real shame. I'm saying to them, relax, let your hair down, and let's find an honest way to deal with the 500 lb. elephant in the room, so that we can put it behind us and all laugh about it some day. Again, that day is a long way off, and it won't arrive until even the idiots come around. But in the meantime I can try to imagine the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll keep imagining with you because I am getting really good after 10years with my husband at not giving a dam! He has rubbed off on me in this instance. Sometimes you just have to step back and let people be who they are even if that means watching them completely self destruct and focus on who you are "be the change you want to see in the world" and by doing so it radiates to others. Eventually they will catch on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're absolutely right. Sometimes all you can do is try to be a better person yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No matter how hard you try, you can't change other people. All you can do is change yourself and hope they follow suit. I'm a slow learner sometimes. It took me forever to figure that one out and even now and then I forget. Too bad I can't use my pepper spray out on the streets with impunity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And now in Canada, Dire Straits 1985 hit "Money For Nothing" is being censored for the use of the word "faggot". Claiming it is insulting to gay men.

    The funny thing to me is we are looking to avoid offending or stop making groups of people feel uncomfortable. However, on the street we are getting ruder and less friendly to individuals.

    People will run into me in a store and not apologize or even acknowledge what they have done. When I hold a door open for someone they act more confused than grateful.

    The problem is not with a word in a book or song. People need to learn how to interact with each other in a civilized manner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen to that.

    Scott wrote a post the other day about the video game controversy. Same sort of thing. People looking for a scapegoat to blame things on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...