Monday, January 3, 2011

The Existence of God

Some people look at the stars and find God.  Some people find God in the first glimpse of the face of their newborn child.  Some people find God behind the bars of a prison cell, or at the end of their rope, or when they're scraping rock bottom looking for that last fix.  Some people find God at an alter call at a Sunday evening service where the drowsy light of the setting sun shines through.  Some people don't find God until they're drawing that last painful breath.  I found God in the periodic table of elements.  To each his own, I guess.

I grew up in a Christian home.  We went to church three times a week, twice on Sunday and once for Wednesday night prayer meeting.  We were there whenever the doors were open.  I also went to a private school for several years, also Christian.  I was knee deep in the religion.  It surrounded me on all sides.  Through-out my childhood I fluctuated between periods when I would become serious about being a "good Christian", and other periods when I couldn't care less and I just wanted to see what was happening with the TV shows I wasn't allowed to watch.  Regardless of these fluctuations, however, it never once even crossed my mind to question the truth of any of it.  God & the Devil, Heaven & Hell were as real and self-evident to me as my hand in front of my face.  I didn't even know that doubt was an option.

Then one day my brother, who's a few years older than me, came home from his college classes and mentioned that they had been learning about the notion that reality, as we know it, could be an illusion.  I remember his pointing to the light bulb hanging from the ceiling in the hallway and saying, "How do you really know that the light is on?  How do you know that you're not imagining it?  How do we know that we're both seeing the same thing?  How do you know you're not dreaming right now and none of this is real?"  I didn't know it at the time, but I wouldn't be exaggerating now if I told you that this simple moment on a rainy afternoon completely changed my life and who I was as a person, forever.  A tiny little crack had opened up in my view of the world, and I could see an incredible light coming from the other side.

I became fascinated by philosophy after that.  I started reading everything from Aristotle to Nietzsche.  I didn't understand half of it, and the half I thought I understood then, I didn't really understand either.  But the wheels were turning.  I started to keep a notebook of my ideas, a kind of fledgling precursor of this blog.  It wasn't long before the most obvious question of all occurred to me, "How do I know God is real?"  Now, it wasn't that I had been living under a rock and had never heard of atheism.  It was just that up to that point, I had never realized how someone could arrive at that conclusion.  Atheists were evil people, denying God so that they could live a life of sin and excess...or so I'd always heard.  Now I was seeing how reason, rather than sin, could lead you there as well.

Naturally, this didn't go over big at home or at school.  I started to rebel and get into trouble.   I started to ask questions.  Looking back on it now, my questions concerning Christianity and the existence of God could be broken down into three basic sub-categories: 1.) How do we know the Bible is actually the word of God?  2.) If everything that happens is God's will, then how does human free will fit into the equation?  3.) Did God decide and create the ideal of what is good, or does goodness exist independently of God and God is simply the ultimate realization of the ideal?  In other words, how could God be the highest measure of the standard and the creator of the standard as well?

Regarding the first question, the best they could do was quote me a bunch of Bible verses.  I had sense enough even then to know that you can't prove the authenticity of a document by quoting from a document itself.  I could write something on a napkin, and add a footnote that it was the word of God.  So that argument proved nothing to me.  Regarding the other two questions, oh we went round and round in circles on those.  I can't hardly blame them though.  Despite what I said in the opening paragraph, I'm still struggling with those myself.  Anyway, eventually they grew pretty tired of me at the school.  They put me on something they called "spiritual probation", a new type of thin ice that they basically invented just for me, and then they made it pretty clear that they didn't want me coming back to their school next year.  I was trying to open the minds around me in the same way mine had been opened.  Clearly some people were hostile to this.

In the midst of all this, everyday life went on.  In Chemistry class we were learning about the periodic table of elements.  We learned that all the chemical reactions between the elements were due to the fact that all the different elements are trying to reach a stability and stasis by having eight electrons in their outer shell.  Perhaps it was because 8 seemed such an arbitrary number.  If it had been an even 10, I might not have even taken note of it.  But as it was, it made me wonder.  I wasn't exactly seeing God in all this then, that came later.  At the time, I was just wondering.  Here was a rule that governed every physical reaction through-out the universe, but why?  Why did these atoms have such a thing for the number 8?  Who decided this?  The rule caused the reactions, but what caused the rule?

No doubt someone with far more scientific training that I could ever dream of acquiring  would be able to explain exactly why 8 is the magic number, but that would be missing the point.  Such an explanation would only remove the issue back by one degree.  My questioning had led me to that old conundrum that anyone who's ever had a conversation with a four year old child is familiar with.  For every "why?" there's another "why?" waiting on deck right behind it.  You can explain to the Nth degree how everything in the universe works, from the tiniest microbe to the collision of galaxies, but you'll never reach an ultimate explanation of why it just conveniently happens to be that way.  You can take the whole cosmic clock apart piece by piece and show exactly how it keeps time, but you still wouldn't be able explain why we're fortunate enough that this clock even exists instead of just a pile of cogs and gears.  In other words, how do you account for the principle of clockworkness itself?  Why not chaos?  Again, you could go deep, really dig down into the metaphysical foundation of everything and explain why the universe is governed by a system of consistent scientific laws, but you'll find another "why?" waiting right behind that one.  

Take evolution, for instance.  Now, to Christian people "evolution" is a dirty word, but ironically, I see this "God-principle" more at work there than anywhere else.  Just like with the periodic table, someone could explain to me in intricate and minute detail exactly how natural selection works.  I know enough about it myself to see that there's no mysterious magic behind it.  It makes, simple, natural, logical sense.  But aren't we lucky that it does?  There's even a built-in slight degree of imperfection in the universe that allows it to work.  This raises an issue for another day, but for now I'm just pointing out that there's even a perfect degree of imperfection to make it all work out, that slight little hiccup in the clock that keeps it running.

Now, you're thinking that all these issues have been raised before by the theory of Intelligent Design.  I would say, yes...but not quite...or maybe, up to a point.  You see, I'm not looking at all this and seeing the hand of a designer.  I'm thinking God is the design.  Once upon a time, people thought the clock itself was God.  Then someone came along and said, "No, God made the clock."  I'm saying that perhaps God is the principle of clockwork itself.  It's not the gears and springs and scientific laws; it's the thing that allows the gears and springs to work as a clock.  It's the reason a flower is beautiful, that falls as a shadow behind any other reason you might give.  It's not how we came to be here to see the flower; it's why.  It's...well, quite honestly, it's beyond my power to explain.  In fact, it's the very nature of it to reside beyond explanation.  If you try to explain God, you find that it slips another degree away, forever just beyond your grasp.

There might be some fall-out and controversy over this, or it might be met with bland, unimpressed indifference.  I don't know.  I wish I could say I was up to that task of really putting this into words.  I've heard before that writers should never whine about their own inadequacies of expression in their writing.  They should either put up or shut up.  Well, I've done my best at putting up.  I wish I could say that all this helps me sleep at night, and that I'm no longer confused and plagued with doubts.  But I am, and probably always will be.  That light bulb in the hallway changed me in ways that can't be unchanged, even if I wanted to.   All I have to offer is a feeling that I have, a sense and a faith that the ship of space and time is being guided along on a steady course, holding the whole crazy universal carnival together.                          

14 comments:

  1. I was wondering when you were going to put this one up since you mentioned it last week.

    Hmmm. I never found a higher power in the Periodic Table, though I did find it interesting at the beginning of Chemistry my sophomore year. And I hated it by the end of it (who had the time to organize that monstrosity?)and everything that revolved around the elements.

    The last time I found myself thinking there might be a higher power was when drove through the rock formations in the Arizona dessert and the sun was setting and stained the rocks and dirt red and it looked like someone was painting everything darker...When you see something so pretty it's hard to believe it was an accident of nature.

    But that was over a year ago, and nothing has struck me with such awe since.

    And as much as I sometimes do believe in Something, I don't believe in a Devil or Satan or Beelzebub or Lucifer or whatever people call him these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think maybe "Old Scratch" is gonna make a comeback.

    I actually wrote a post about the Devil a while back. I proposed that the Devil's whole problem is that he doesn't exist. I'd like to say that would make more sense if you read the post, but who am I kidding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up formal religion years ago when I realized the narrow mindedness of it, and when I realized that no one religion was the "true" religion and there are many ways to God.

    For me God simply is. Even though there is a lot that is wrong with the world, I see evidence of him in the people around me, in the world around me as I photograph, and think that ultimately it doesn't matter whether it can be proven or not, because it is all a matter of personal belief.

    Good, thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I treat other people's religious beliefs the same way I do their sexuality. As long as it doesn't hurt anybody else and you don't force it in my face, screaming that I'm going to some fictional hell if I don't believe the same way you do, I'm fine with it. If it makes you a happier person, then go with it. I would really like to believe that there is some point. Some reason. Some driving force behind what it is that we are and do, but I have yet to fathom it. I guess that's what philosophy is all about, isn't it? I like your view of it. Plus I love the clockwork symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The moment I decide to throw away my questions about God, and those which, perhaps, atypical read answered or inflated more in the realm of uncertainty, you go and write your take on it and now I am back to square one. Damn your aching head!

    The constant issue with this (and the one most atheist I know and speak-bash? about it) is fine. God is the principal, but who is the engineer behind this principal and its blueprint. That is the best and scariest part about the existence of God I think. It's infinite in its questioning and the ultimate "Because I said so." to our holy parent in the sky.

    On a side note, I could not agree more. Why not Chaos? A theme which bodes well with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know it is funny, but I have never questioned the existence of God. As a little girl growing up we had so much chaos around us that God for me was a best friend that I could hide in the closet with and talk to when ever I need him.

    As I got older I didn't feel God the way I used to and questioned the validity of the teachings from a church stand point. I thought that any writing that was written by man about God had to be flawed in some way by their perspective that can shift at any point because man is flawed and would not be able to articulate any truth.

    Then I thought about the men who sat there and decided what books would be part of the bible and what would be left out and the whole political system behind the church and of course there is the "lost in translation" thinking and you know a big part of our holy book is miss interpreted, so where do you go from there? Not to church anymore.

    I took a trip when I was 21 out to Olympic National Park In Washington state. We hiked around different areas of the park and made it to a place called Soul Doc Falls. It was so moving to me in a way I had never felt before.

    I had to leave the people I was with for a while and wonder off on my own because I had this feeling that was so overwhelming I couldn't begin to understand where it was coming from and what started it... I thought PMS maybe as I sat there and cried at the beauty of the place with it's majestic trees that were as tall as sky scrapers and the way the sun peeked through the trees hitting the water creating a sparkling affect down the crack in the earth made by the rushing water.

    As I looked down the walls of this crack it was scattered with foliage of all sorts but the ferns stood out most as the birds flew by them, I felt time stand still for a moment and I realized for the first time in my adult life I was feeling God. This is what God, I could feel it with everything in my being. Everything here is God and I am connected to all of this as I felt the earth move through me.

    It was a life changing moment, one which still moves me, When ever I am feeling down I go back there and in an instant I am home.

    Nice post, looking forward to part two on this as you mentioned more for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the Spiritual Probation!! HAHA!! (We can laugh about it now!!) :) All those years of watching you all go to church I was never the least bit curious about religion. Honestly, your mom kinda scared me...I thought going to church and learning about God meant no radio or tv. Looking back now, I am jealous. I wish I would have been taken to church. I see the girls now and how much they love Jesus. They pray, they know him. And it is good. It is a really good thing. It is teaching them to be humble, gracious, forgiving, thoughtful little girls. I go to Sunday School and Service every Sunday that I can. I've learned there is nothing wrong with believing in God and when I look at the people that are in my life I know that God put them there. So, another great blog Bry!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. She scared all of us. :)

    I grew up with the same impression. Everything was all about restrictions, and everybody trying so hard to be righteous. I realize now that it isn't really all about that, and I see another side to it. I still have doubts and reservations, but I definitely take a more accepting attitude to the whole thing. I try to keep an open mind, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you pointed this post out to me, Bryan. After years of being in the position of escaping from beliefs which held sway in my cranium for much longer, I see that the important thing is to escape fully from your former beliefs. When this is done, when one has really let go of Christianity, is really not awed by the fear of God, or whatever still lurks deep in one’s psyche, one doesn’t have to explain anything to oneself rationally. One is simply free from it all.

    After that, if one so wishes, one can look into the psychology that makes people get into the beliefs in the first place, and realise that in our common humanity we share that flaw too: that for all the militant atheists wish for in their Utopian dream of rationalism, the truth is that to be human is to be flawed, like every other product of evolution. We can’t think straight, and even to imagine the possibility of thinking straight must be an evolution-inspired flaw.

    To make reason our god is as absurd as a lobster worshipping its own claw.

    You mentioned Nietzsche. Being a late developer in all things, I’ve come to him at this time in my life. He died at 56 and his creative work ceased 11 years earlier when his mind broke down in a Turin piazza, in 1889. At 69 I delight in discovering his insights, which help finalize my work to free myself.

    Life’s mysteries and discoveries never end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes. Having gone through all this, I have an appreciation for Christianity that would have been impossible then. I've seen a different side of it, and I've seen it from a different side.

    However, all that being said, there are certain things in life that once your eyes are open to them, it becomes impossible to close them again. Blind faith is no longer an option, even if I wanted it to be. It's like growing up in a little village and being taught that that village is all that exists of the world. Then one day you wander away from town and find that there's actually a great big world out there. No matter how hard you try, you can never go back to believing that the village is all there is. It's not a matter of choice; it just is what it is. People like my mother can't understand that. For instance, it would be impossible for me to go back to believing that the universe was created in seven days, seven thousand years ago. I just see too many of the flaws in that position, both scientifically, philosophically, and yes, rationally (I still have some faith in reason. I just doubt people's capacity to be reasonable. Be careful not to confuse the two. Reason is an ideal. I believe the universe makes sense, but it's a sense that we may not always be willing or capable of seeing. Still, I believe that if the sun rose yesterday, it will rise again tomorrow, and it will do this because of mechanisms that can be apprehended by reason. If there is a flaw, it lies with us, not with the universe. We may stumble and fall along the road, and we may be enticed to wander off the path, but we need to believe that the road itself is solid and constant, and that we can trust and depend on it. Otherwise, if we dismiss the road of reason itself as stumbling and folly, then how will we ever be able to tell where our own stumbling and wandering ends and the road begins. There has to be a yard stick of some sort or we're completely lost. Anyway, I digress. I'm sure I'll formulate my position on this matter further in a future post. It's something I feel quite strongly about.)

    So, as far as religion, a part of me definitely wants to believe, but I can't just snap my fingers and make it happen. I have to struggle a long way in the dark. I have to approach it on my own terms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't finish reading yet, but I just wanted to point out that 8 is not the "magic number". The outer shells of elements after the 3rd period can have more the 8 electrons. You will learn this in Quantum Theory or Quantum Mechanics....

    So far I like the article, however.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The why you are looking for is because "it simply WORKS; and it can't be disproven".

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it is true the "God" has the power to create and destroy things, then humankind IS "God". Based on the principle that anything with endless possibilities (in Calculus we call this infinite or divergent) will eventually happen it was inevitable for us to "be". So here we are, and the conglomerate of all of the multiverse's energy is "God". So more correctly we are all "Gods", like that of Greek mythology in a sense, because it is unlikely we will ever be able to harness all of this multiverse's energy; which is also subject to a paradox I like to call the "Entropy Disease".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your comments.

    I would stick to my guns here, if I had any, but I can't really disagree with the points you've made. I'll have to look up the electron thing. It's possible that I was the victim of a bad chemistry teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...