Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sartre's Defense of Free Will

Free will seems to make good common sense to us.  It appeals to our gut instinct.  It fits naturally and comfortably with our sense of ourselves.  It feels right.  But yet, it's a very difficult position to defend on philosophical grounds.  Try to make a rational argument for free will, and you'll probably find yourself stammering incoherently.  Finally, you'll end up blinking and shaking you head in confusion, as you realize that it's all a little more complicated that you thought.  Meanwhile, the advocate of determinism will stand there, smiling smugly with their arms folded.  They believe they have logic and causality on their side.

Determinism is the idea that choice and free will are an illusion, that all human actions are "determined" by a combination of environment, biology and conditioning.  Just as everything in nature has a root cause that leads to an inescapable effect, so too with every human action.  Just as the tides rise and fall not by choice, but by cause, so too, as the determinists would have it, whether a man goes to a doctor or refuses to see a doctor, it's all still determined by factors beyond him and beyond his control.  The belief that the decision was his to make is just a lie he tells himself.  It was all "determined" in advance by his childhood, his genetics, and so on.

If you're like me, you immediately get the feeling that something is dreadfully wrong with this idea.  It's not just that you don't like it.  You get the sense that something is being overlooked, but you can't quite put your finger on it solidly enough to form a decent rebuttal.  Well, I'm not one to let sleeping dogs lie, and I'm definitely not one to let such depressing claims about the nature of my existence go unaddressed.  Free will is a big deal to me, and I would pool all my resources into constructing and argument in its favor, if someone, thankfully, hadn't already done the job for me.  Jean-Paul Sartre has constructed such an argument, and it's far more brilliant than anything I could dream of coming up with.

Make no mistake about it.  I'm not proposing some radical interpretation of Sartre.  Free will always held a prominent place in his ideas, and he was clearly a firm believer in it.  However, a casual reader might not fully appreciate how central it was to his ideas.  In fact, free will is a big part of existentialism in general.  While the determinists had environment dragging human nature along behind it and human nature in turn dragging human being like some fatalistic daisy chain, the only objection the traditional defenders of free will could make was that there was some mystical element in human beings that rose above mere causality.  The existentialists took this whole argument and turned it on its head with their dictum "existence precedes essence."  This is really just a fancy way of saying that a human being is a work in progress.

Existence is given to us, but, the existentialists argued, its up to us to define the essence of that existence.  A chair is just a chair, but a human being is a creative process generated from within.  The determinists had the environment and society creating human nature, but the existentialists had the human being creating their own nature, day by day, second by second.  For the existentialists, a person didn't run away because they were a coward; they were a coward because they ran away.  To them, the action emerges first, freely chosen out of a kind of void of our existence and then it comes to define the person afterwards.  More importantly, the person is always free to redefine themselves by a new act.  A man who has defined himself as a scoundrel is free to choose to be a hero at the next opportunity.  We aren't bound and confined by our past.  The choice is always open.  Or as Sophia put it in Vanilla Sky, "Every passing moment is another chance to turn it all around."

Now this "existence precedes essence" might sound arbitrary and unsubstantiated, but it was the roads the existentialists took to get there that that made all the difference.  Different philosophers of the school approached the problem from a variety of angles.  Friedrich Nietzsche rearranged the furniture of morality around the creative act.  Soren Kierkegaard proposed a leap of faith, suggesting that there will always be a chasm of doubt between us and even the most fundamental things that we hold to be the truth, a chasm that evidence and argument alone will never be able to fully bridge, and so ultimately it comes down to making a choice, a "leap", an act of will.  

Sartre approached the problem on more....I guess you could say "psychological" grounds for lack of a better word.  He placed consciousness itself under careful analysis, and under his microscope he revealed things about its nature too problematic for the determinists to dismiss.  He showed that a human being is not a rock or a chair and so can't be held subject to the same causality.  A human being isn't just a different kind of thing.  A human being has a completely different kind of existence.

Following the road Sartre took is going to take much more than one post.  Consider this as just a preamble.  From here we'll take his ideas step by step, and I'll post new installments through-out this 2nd season(?) ...semester(?) ...whatever.  It may not be apparent at first how any of it relates to free will, but as the ideas build upon each other like layers of brick onto a foundation, the design of the entire edifice will start to come into focus.  It's a fascinating theory.  It's definitely my kind of theory.  It's definitely a nuclearheadache kind of theory.         

23 comments:

  1. Hullo! Society here. Environment and I got together and decided you should write this very post. But only if you really wanted to, of course.

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit!! Tricked again! You guys are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knew the names, never took the time to find out more about them. This should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bryan...I made my way over through Notes from the Night Owl, which I came by way of Rev's place.

    Mac just came up with a cool feature - a reading list - I've added this page, as right now I'm heading out the door and I want to give this post the time it deserves with a good cup of java.

    In the meantime I've added myself as a Follower...I like even numbers, so 60 works for me! (still shy of it by a few years too!)

    Cheers, Jenny

    PS - your writing over at Night Owl is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not A Pakistani JusrAugust 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM

    Interesting. I keep seeing his name as Satire. Free Will is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @George: I hope so.

    @Jenny: Welcome. I agree, 60 is a nice round number. Thank you.

    @Not: I originally misspelled it in the title.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Free will... never heard of it. Unless... are we talking about that movie with the whale and the little boy? I'm confused. Jean-Paul defended that movie? There was nothing good about that movie. Plus he was already dead. Although, if he is giving movie reviews from the grave, I don't think I want to mess with him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're thinking of Free Willy. Totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m back…

    This will be an interesting journey. I’m looking forward to your follow-up posts.

    I support the notion of humans having free will. I’m just not sure if many of us understand it, use it as intended and really know how much of what we actually do is done without exercising our free will.


    I am so looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

    Cheers, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, "Free Willy!" is what my ex-wife would shout to me after her computer alone time. I'm sure I wasn't thinking about that, and I would appreciate it if you didn't think about it either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jenny: People often allow themselves to be easily manipulated. I'll grant you that. In fact, I maybe be addressing that particular issue in a separate post.

    @Doug: Ah, we're still waiting to hear that story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm impressed. I was going to throw in another defence of free will, but I don't know if I could argue it as you have. I hope you keep your promise about further instalments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not only will I keep my promise; I already have the next two installments written.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Free will truly is a difficult concept to tackle. I know you enjoy your physics so wait till you make it to Quantum Mechanics (if you haven't already yet). There is a theory which supports Quantum Mechanics which says that any given electron spinning around in an atom, can at any given moment, without being caused by anything, disappear and later appear somewhere else in the ring of the electron. Einstein was a determinist, Niels Bohr wasn't. To this theory of the electron was when you heard that famous quote by Einstein saying "What? Do you think Gd plays dice with the world?"

    He couldn't just get around the fact that an electron disappears and appears all of the sudden without being caused by anything. I believe it is called The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle if you feel interested in investigating a little further.

    In the end though, is free will really that important to make us live a more fulfilling life. I, for one, take a little bit of both. I take the determinists side in that everything I do in life will cause other things to happen, alongside the fact that I know my environment may make me prone to do these things. But I also like to believe that everything is not pre-ordained.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, your back and badder than ever. Six posts already in August...your brain is working OT..taking on relativity some more and now free will. I can feel the head ache as I write.

    I thought you we going to brake out into a Luther Vandross song when I read "a chair is just a chair" I am sure you don't know the song but it is a good r&b song

    You have to look into how that telescope could see water on that planet too..another mystery to be solved.

    I'll gonna do some more reading and get my brain twisted into some more knots.. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny you should mention that telescope thing. I was trying to remember what we were talking about with that the other day. You still have the link to that article?

    ReplyDelete
  17. And Martin, since I forgot to respond to this earlier. I have been giving some thought to the uncertainty principle. Not as it relates to free will, but another possibility...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I checked my wall and could not find the link I posted but here is a link that should help you find out more on the subject http://technology.newsplurk.com/2011/07/more-water-found-than-140-trillion.html Look forward to the read...let me know when you write it as I have been missing many posts in my news feeds. Have not been on much

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool. I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, that's some 12 billion year old water ;)

    Sounds like it's just floating around in space. The presence of water elsewhere in the universe is a good sign that there may be life elsewhere, since water's, you know...pretty basic to life. At least as we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are you into crop circle stuff at all..I love this subject and am surprised more aren't interested..If you see these designs and the scale of the there is no way people are doing these with ropes and planks. They are getting more complex with each new year and just this past year many have this weaving effect that people couldn't do in months let alone one night...Just fascinating to me. I can send you some good stuff on that for your analysis. would be interested to read your take after some investigation. Let me know if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ever hear of the Nazca Lines? Very similar. Ancient people carved these huge pictures out that would only be recognizable from high above in the sky. Needless to say, this was long before airplanes. You know what I'm saying?

    Anyway, it's interesting. Look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nietzsche was strongly against the argument of free-will and took inspiration from Schopenhauer. Also, Kierkegaard was deeply religious so that's where his belief in free will comes from.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...